Sponsored by:

Vibration On Start Up & Idling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML63s
Angry Vibration On Start Up & Idling

My recently purchased 2014 63 started randomly vibrating when both starting up and also idling at lights. Like it was an engine miss or something. But RPM doesn't dip and no sounds. Can't feel any vibrations at high speed (but if I am at lights and take RPM to say 2K and it does "the issue" the RPM needle will dip). Does it in neutral, parked, gear. Sports, C, eco, etc. The car performs well at all other times except idling/startup. It doesn't do it every time I idle at lights (maybe 25-40% at idle), but does it 99% of the time when starting up.

Took the car back to the dealer and after 2 days of diagnosis they said the engine and transmission mounts needed replacing. This was done and I was relieved as that seemed to be the #1 cause from the forums.

Got the car back and all seemed fixed! That lasted about 2 weeks and now the issue is back! The EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENING.

Have tried different fuel - no difference.

Reading other threads people are suggesting:
  • vacuum leak from intake manifold gasket
  • engine harness (oil migration)
  • defective intake adjuster
  • fuel pump
  • ignition coils
Any ideas on where to go from here? Could they have used defective mounts? Some how not installed them correctly? Just so weird how it was seemingly solved after they had it (and did the mounts), and now it's back a few week later!

No codes, no CEL, ever. Oil level is good. 50K miles.

Last edited by mdotk; 05-12-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You need to take it back and have them look at the mounts again ....
Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by mdotk
My recently purchased 2014 63 started randomly vibrating when both starting up and also idling at lights. Like it was an engine miss or something. But RPM doesn't dip and no sounds. Can't feel any vibrations at high speed (but if I am at lights and take RPM to say 2K and it does "the issue" the RPM needle will dip). Does it in neutral, parked, gear. Sports, C, eco, etc. The car performs well at all other times except idling/startup. It doesn't do it every time I idle at lights (maybe 25-40% at idle), but does it 99% of the time when starting up.

Took the car back to the dealer and after 2 days of diagnosis they said the engine and transmission mounts needed replacing. This was done and I was relieved as that seemed to be the #1 cause from the forums.

Got the car back and all seemed fixed! That lasted about 2 weeks and now the issue is back! The EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENING.

Have tried different fuel - no difference.

Reading other threads people are suggesting:
  • vacuum leak from intake manifold gasket
  • engine harness (oil migration)
  • defective intake adjuster
  • fuel pump
  • ignition coils
Any ideas on where to go from here? Could they have used defective mounts? Some how not installed them correctly? Just so weird how it was seemingly solved after they had it (and did the mounts), and now it's back a few week later!

No codes, no CEL, ever. Oil level is good. 50K miles.
I'm having the same exact issues on my 2010 E63, I've replace my transmission mount already, will be replacing my motor mounts in the future and
hope that it fixes that issues. Also have to replace my intake manifold gaskets, full brakes all around and front struts soon.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Had the same issue on my 2014 E63 couple years ago. Had motor mounts replaced, and trans mount. It was the front 4matic driveshaft.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-install.html
Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Have you had any exhaust work done lately?

I ask because if you removed resonators and replaced them with straight pipes, it can cause a shaking at idle. The two banks fire in such a way that the exhaust moves side to side, causing the car to feel like it's shaking. There needs to be some sort of a crossover between the banks.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Had the same issue on my 2014 E63 couple years ago. Had motor mounts replaced, and trans mount. It was the front 4matic driveshaft.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...t-install.html
Thank you for the link and information! I have the exact same symptoms, put in neutral and the vibration would go away.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TTTAAAMMM
Thank you for the link and information! I have the exact same symptoms, put in neutral and the vibration would go away.
Attachment; diagram I got from dealer, I just ordered front, rear flex couplings and center support bearing. I'll let you know if it fixes the vibration problem.

- Tam
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E63 Driveshaft .pdf (173.1 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by TTTAAAMMM; 05-15-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Attachment; diagram I got from dealer, I just ordered front, rear flex couplings and center support bearing. I'll let you know if it fixes the vibration problem.

- Tam

I'm having same vibration.
Hopefully, it gets fixed after replace all the parts.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 PM

2014 ML63s
They found the problem was a faulty injector on the 6th cylinder. Part ordered and will report back when hopefully all fixed.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by mdotk
They found the problem was a faulty injector on the 6th cylinder. Part ordered and will report back when hopefully all fixed.

- Tam
Hopefully, both parts are the cause of the issues.

As i remember injector replacement needs Xentry system to verify after injector is replaced.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM

2014 ML63s
Originally Posted by cocobeex

As i remember injector replacement needs Xentry system to verify after injector is replaced.
Thanks, you mean in order to keep a factory warranty? I have a 3rd party warranty. Would independents have access to Xentry? They got the part direct from MB here.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by cocobeex

This is correct, the injector has a # on it which you need to take a picture of or write down, that needs to be entered into the ecu via xentry. It is a compensation # and most modern direct injection motors have this nowadays.

Replace all seals and such aswell and once you remove the protective cap off the inejctor, it needs to be installed quickly as the seals swell up.

Most shops have Xentry, or some sort of program that might do this job. Like i said, this isnt the first motor that needs this injector to be programmed so most shops are familiar.
The following users liked this post:
cocobeex (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 PM

2014 E550 Sedan
Subbed, same issue. Tuned, downpipes, no x pipe / crossover brace. No codes being thrown, so assuming it's injectors after the tune. 🤔
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
interesting post......I had the similar issue over the weekend. I drove the car about 10 miles then check engine light came on. the car drove very bad. it was idling from 600 rpm at a stop then drops to 400 rpm. Back and forth from 600 to 400 rpms.
I pulled over to the road and turn off motor. re-start it, check engine light went away and no more idling back and forth. seems like it issue went away?
I purchased the extended warranty from Mercedes so I will be taking it there to get a diagnoisic test. I just purchased it a month ago, it is a 2014 E63 AMG S with 48K miles.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E63 + 2000 E55
Was the faulty injectector detected through a code?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM

2014 ML63s
No I don't think they found a code (and I never got a CEL). I think they hooked the car up to a laptop and saw the faulty injector on some graph software? Sorry not techie like that...

Anyway, my vibration problem is now gone.

It's interesting that I still do get the very occasional and slight/quick vibration when idle. It is minuscule but noticeable nonetheless (maybe because I am watching for it!). I am not worried about it. it's a big engine and I have new engine and tranny mounts so can't be those.

Start ups and revving then idling are now smooth as (these were the 2 times when my old miss/vibration would be most noticeable).
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM

2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
CEL was trigger at high rpm

In my case, car drives and idles fine at lower rpm, when rpm reach over 4000 rpm, CEL comes on and idles rough. Tech told me injector 6 and 8 are misfiring. I purchased the car least than two months, with 3 year extended warranty. They also told me the car has a O2 link somewhere. After tech reprogrammed the 6 and 8 injectors, car idles fine, no more rough idling and misfiring at any rpm, but still looking for the O2 link. Car feels weaker???
Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM

2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
just picked up my E63 and the dealership reprogrammed the number 6 and 8 injectors due to misfiring issue. no more misfiring issue now......the dealership also replaced the air filters with factory ones and no more O2 leak code.
not sure what the codes were since they did not tell me, but the car drives fine now and no more CEL or rough idling at any RPM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by iceman2002benz
just picked up my E63 and the dealership reprogrammed the number 6 and 8 injectors due to misfiring issue. no more misfiring issue now......the dealership also replaced the air filters with factory ones and no more O2 leak code.
not sure what the codes were since they did not tell me, but the car drives fine now and no more CEL or rough idling at any RPM.
so you mean there was a misfire in the cylinder due to injector problems ... not plug or coil problems, correct?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 PM

2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
Injector program issue

In my case, yes. Tech told me he reprogrammed injector 6 and 8. Once he did that, idle very smooth and no more code. I already drove over 100 miles with no issue now