EC ATX Group Buy for 722.9 TCU's - Sponsored by AMG Social Club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
EC ATX Group Buy for 722.9 TCU's - Sponsored by AMG Social Club

We will be meeting up in Houston, TX for this tuning event - Space is limited for this introductory price!

Check out the link for more info

https://www.amgsocialclub.com/stage-...4RvD3yCIhjvBbo

Thanks a lot!

Dave
The following 3 users liked this post by DavesMeanE's:
BCP (05-06-2020), brutus_tx (05-16-2020), Sugar_Mouth (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 577 Likes on 248 Posts
2014 AMG E63S and 2020 AMG GTC
Thanks for working with us to allow us to host this group buy. We at the AMG Social Club are excited to have access to these tunes in the Texas area.
Looking forward to the event!

The following users liked this post:
DavesMeanE's (05-05-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:56 AM

I thought I'd throw this in here... this was from a track day late last year... at the time I was hunting for my 10.9 run and all my 60 ft times were in the 1.7 range..I was crossing the beams at 11.05 and 11.07... tantalizingly close.
Then I stage for this run, and the TCU decided it wasn't having any of the shenanigans. You can clearly see the result here.
What was worse, on this run, when I compared the data I cut a 1.6 60ft, the best time of the night!. That was my 10.9 right there, but the TCU wasn't having any of it.
I made my 10.9 when it was cooler and dryer but I'm convinced this is what held me back that evening...

If I'd had the TCU tune it would have been a different story.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Bump bump bump...

TCU Group Buy opportunity

https://www.amgsocialclub.com/stage-...-tcu-tune.html

Any of you guys that are interested in the TCU tune for the W205 or W212 or W218 platform that is being offered in Houston please sign up and post your downpayment to secure a slot.
These prices are specific to the group buy. Once the slots are full the tune will revert to its normal price. If you miss it... sorry. You were warned...
Old 05-06-2020, 04:30 PM

Lifted from another related thread, but pertinent here... some questions regarding the TCU tune.
  1. First question comes to mind about the impact on transmission and drivetrain. What is known at this point in time? Do any of the hardware components need to be upgraded?
  2. Does it change all modes C, S, S+, M, RS? Or just some specific one? Is it still safe to use RS?
  3. Does the TCU tune interact with the ECU tune? Another words, is there any dependency, multiplier? Or the TCU tune is independent, linear?
  4. Are any tentative measurements known?

1. Impact on Drivetrain?

The TCU tune is highly configurable. The tune that EC ATX have been running is the most aggressive tune available. Consider it a Stage 2 tune foir the time being. Their aim is to explore the mechanical limits of the system to ensure they only break their car and not yours.
Per AC ATX... "We are on the absolute most aggressive tune probably anyone would want - and have several thousand miles, and hundreds of full power launches, 1/4 miles, 60-130's top speed runs etc on it. Obviously not interested is breaking anyone's car, we have to try and break ours first. That being said - there is risk with any level of modification, so please be aware of that."

The tune being sponsored by AMG Social Club and provided in this group buy was developed by the same tuner. Consider this one a Stage 1 tune. It still retains all fail-safes but to higher torque limits. This tune has been developed and is in use on many multiple vehicles. It is not as aggressive as the one on the EC ATX development car and is street proven.
Nothing needs to be upgraded hardware wise with the safe tune. Keep in mind for the RWD guys that they may be getting to power levels where the rear axles are gonna be struggling. Look to the flyer embedded in the MCT TCU page of the AMG Social Club website https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fuq...K3L5zpSWp/view

2. Does it change all modes?
Yes - all modes are influenced. It is still safe to use race start - but RS is much slower than just launching the car.

3. Does the tune interact with ECU?
Yes - they are interdependent.

4. Known Measurements:
Besides the improved metrics for acceleration - there is really nothing to measure. The flier does a very good job of explaining it. The best benefit is in the increase of the line pressure... Slipping clutches cause wear and heat. Those are the 2 biggest things we want to avoid. Increased line pressure prevents the clutches from slipping.

Last edited by brutus_tx; 05-06-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:56 AM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
SL63 isn't listed, anybody know why? What's the difference?
Old 05-07-2020, 02:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by brutus_tx
Yes - all modes are influenced. It is still safe to use race start - but RS is much slower than just launching the car.
Any luck getting traction control "OFF" plus race start?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts
m157 SL63
Lifted from another related thread, but pertinent here... some questions regarding the TCU tune.
  1. First question comes to mind about the impact on transmission and drivetrain. What is known at this point in time? Do any of the hardware components need to be upgraded?
  2. Does it change all modes C, S, S+, M, RS? Or just some specific one? Is it still safe to use RS?
  3. Does the TCU tune interact with the ECU tune? Another words, is there any dependency, multiplier? Or the TCU tune is independent, linear?

1. Impact on Drivetrain?

The TCU tune is highly configurable. The tune that EC ATX have been running is the most aggressive tune available. Consider it a Stage 2 tune foir the time being. Their aim is to explore the mechanical limits of the system to ensure they only break their car and not yours.
Per AC ATX... "We are on the absolute most aggressive tune probably anyone would want - and have several thousand miles, and hundreds of full power launches, 1/4 miles, 60-130's top speed runs etc on it. Obviously not interested is breaking anyone's car, we have to try and break ours first. That being said - there is risk with any level of modification, so please be aware of that."

The tune being sponsored by AMG Social Club and provided in this group buy was developed by the same tuner. Consider this one a Stage 1 tune. It still retains all fail-safes but to higher torque limits. This tune has been developed and is in use on many multiple vehicles. It is not as aggressive as the one on the EC ATX development car and is street proven.
Nothing needs to be upgraded hardware wise with the safe tune. Keep in mind for the RWD guys that they may be getting to power levels where the rear axles are gonna be struggling. Look to the flyer embedded in the MCT TCU page of the AMG Social Club website https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fuq...K3L5zpSWp/view

4. Known Measurements:
Besides the improved metrics for acceleration - there is really nothing to measure. The flier does a very good job of explaining it. The best benefit is in the increase of the line pressure... Slipping clutches cause wear and heat. Those are the 2 biggest things we want to avoid. Increased line pressure prevents the clutches from slipping.
Any more detail around the part highlighted above? I looked at the flyer and didn't see anything. Is this just saying that maybe it's not a good idea from a traction standpoint for the RWD cars, or is there a concern about something else?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Spoke with the developer... RS with TC off is not available.

To paraphrase..."honestly if it was a customer in my office asking this question, I would just tell them to launch the car on boost instead.
In 100% or our testing with all the TCU tunes we tried, and at every power level, RS is significantly (and repeatedly) slower than launching on boost."

Savage212 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Spoke with the developer... RS with TC off is not available.

To paraphrase..."honestly if it was a customer in my office asking this question, I would just tell them to launch the car on boost instead.
In 100% or our testing with all the TCU tunes we tried, and at every power level, RS is significantly (and repeatedly) slower than launching on boost."
Yea, Kinda figured that. Thought it might make race start worthwhile. I'd agree launching on boost is our best option. Thanks much for checking!!
DavesMeanE's (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M Roadster, Mini Countryman
Originally Posted by billvp218
Any more detail around the part highlighted above? I looked at the flyer and didn't see anything. Is this just saying that maybe it's not a good idea from a traction standpoint for the RWD cars, or is there a concern about something else?
​​​​​​
I am interested in hearing more about this too, since I have a 12..

Also do we have to be in Houston?
Or can this be done online or at another EC shop?
Old 05-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla
Originally Posted by rag1998
​​​​​​
I am interested in hearing more about this too, since I have a 12..

Also do we have to be in Houston?
Or can this be done online or at another EC shop?
Howdy!
Thanks for the question.

It will be available at most of the other EC shops, along with many others across the country, by way of organized group buys that will be happening in the coming weeks/months. There is not an "end user" option at this point, and tuning will always be done on site.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 11:53 AM

1. Impact on Drivetrain?

4. Known Measurements:
Originally Posted by billvp218
Sorry for the delayed response.

The RWD concern is specific to those running drag radials on prepped surfaces. Without any wheel slippage, the torque is transferred to the next weak point. At higher torque loads, that appears to be the axles on the RWD cars. EC ATX are running much higher torque limits in an attempt to find those limits... kudos to them for pushing the envelope.

At the torque limits of the tune offered with this group buy, the intent is to operate within the hardware limits of the car. While axle damage is still an outside possibility for RWD cars running drag radials, it is considered remote in this application.
Having said that, while remote, its still needs to be considered as a potential threat.
DavesMeanE's (05-08-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
14 polar white E550
Will those tune only work for MCT cars I have a 14 E550 with a 7g tronic and was interested in this badly !
Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Amr_c63
Will those tune only work for MCT cars I have a 14 E550 with a 7g tronic and was interested in this badly !
This should not be a problem, but please send me your VIN via PM and I'll coordinate with the tuner to confirm.
Where are you located?

Some of those E550's are making serious power... if you're one of those guys this will put a smile on your face.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
What about a 2011 CL63 M157?
Old 05-10-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by mertd93
What about a 2011 CL63 M157?
Yes, as long as it's a 7 speed MCT transmission you should be good to go. If you want to send me your VIN in PM we can confirm for you.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:56 PM

04 E55 B07
Sure, here it is ...WDDEJ7EB9BA028016
Old 05-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mertd93
Sure, here it is ...WDDEJ7EB9BA028016
Yup. It's confirmed there is a tune available for you if interested. Are you local to Texas or in a different region?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:42 AM

04 E55 B07
Nyc, I’ll contact 5soko since I’m local to him.

Last edited by mertd93; 05-11-2020 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mertd93:
brutus_tx (05-11-2020), DavesMeanE's (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Hey Brett.
I probably won't be able to get the tune, but I was curious if I could just come by and hang out for a bit if I'm in town on the 23rd? I'll make sure to bring a mask!

-Scott
brutus_tx (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 09:30 PM

Bump to the top!
Old 05-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
So how many people have signed up? I plan to stop by at Matts on the day of the even t.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by shardul
So how many people have signed up? I plan to stop by at Matts on the day of the even t.
From this group buy we've already tuned a couple of cars at EC ATX, mine is getting tuned tomorrow, we have two scheduled for Matt's next Saturday and two more off location.

Because of there only being two getting tuned at Legacy Motorworks we will be shortening the event times and sending emails out to the respective TCU tune recipients later this week to set up their tune time.

Feel free to drop by, but this is less a GTG as a means to acquire the tune locally in Houston.

Look for an update in this thread plus on Facebook.
DavesMeanE's (05-19-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:58 PM

Here's an update on the TCU tune.. I received my tune yesterday in advance of the group buy to log some data and answer any questions prospective enthusiasts may have regarding the tune.

I went out this afternoon and did four back to back runs while logging in HPTuners to see what was happening with the TCU tune and how it interacted with the ECU.

I'm on the Eurocharged E50 tune, i was running a verified E47 in the tank.
DA was 2200 ft
Air Temp was 85 F
Barometric Pressure was 14.3 psi

Here's a screen shot from the DataZap.me site of one of the quarter mile runs. I imported the HPTuner log file directly into the graphing function. There is no data manipulation.
I spun through most of first as I was launching on concrete so my overall quarter mile times suffered as a result.
That's the topic of a separate thread though...

The data below shows the data collected from just before launch and all the way through 5th gear with shut down past the quarter mile mark.
I only chose to show the data points highlighted. Adding additional data clutters the screen and can affect the overall vertical scale. The data points selected are salient for measuring throttle closure versus boost and rpms.
Note the embedded table with the data labels.

1st gear at 4223 rpm the car is making 14.4 psi boost
2nd gear at 6100 rpm the car is making 15 psi boost
3rd gear at 6100 rpm the car is making 15 psi boost
4th gear at 6100 rpm the car is making 15 psi boost.

Basically, the car has access to all the available horsepower in all gears now.
I can light the tires from a roll in first now. I could never do that before.
The dips you see are at gear change where the throttle is retarded purposefully.

Regardless if you are stock or tuned... imagine how a stock car will be transformed if you can have access to the full rated 585 bhp across all 7 gears... imagine how 1st 2nd and 3rd would feel after the tune?
Now imagine if your car is ECU tuned as well? The power you make in 4th is now the power you make in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as well.

I've spent money in the past on questionable mods with questionable results... this isn't one of them.
After the ECU tune, this is the second best "bang for buck" mod I've done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EC ATX Group Buy for 722.9 TCU's - Sponsored by AMG Social Club