W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

If Tesla is the future - are cars becoming too fast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2021 | 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
MOST people wont be driving the 1000hp version of EVs or even close to that.....same way as not many run 700 horse plus ICE cars. So trying to get new laws to restrict their usage to experienced drivers etc could well have a nasty backfire and end up including drivers of powerful ICE cars. Most of the run of the mill stuff we get here is not much more powerful than the ICE cars in the same manufacturers range. For example the Merc EQS 580 has 516 hp....the S63 W223 has over 600.
Doesn't matter if most people will or won't, enough people die and boom...more government. Restricting usage won't be the plan...banning the manufacturing of will be. The argument will be made "no one needs to go that fast".
Old 12-12-2021 | 07:41 AM

Alfa 159
...the point I'm making is that it makes no difference if it EV or ICE.....750 horses is 750 horses and can get you into an equal amount of bother. Anyone could make a reasonable argument that no one needs a car that goes over 150mph no matter what its powered by....but say that out loud too much and its a very slippery slope to cars governed to a certain speed.....which we are already going to get on new cars in Europe......luckily I don't buy new cars so it wont affect me for a few years....by then the clever boys will have sorted a limiter bypass!

https://www.vertumotors.com/news/uk-...ers-from-2022/

The following users liked this post:
places (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021 | 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
...the point I'm making is that it makes no difference if it EV or ICE.....750 horses is 750 horses and can get you into an equal amount of bother. Anyone could make a reasonable argument that no one needs a car that goes over 150mph no matter what its powered by....but say that out loud too much and its a very slippery slope to cars governed to a certain speed.....which we are already going to get on new cars in Europe......luckily I don't buy new cars so it wont affect me for a few years....by then the clever boys will have sorted a limiter bypass!

https://www.vertumotors.com/news/uk-...ers-from-2022/

https://youtu.be/u90uIuoqnQ0
Yes. For a period in the 70's, the US Government mandated US made cars speedometers limited to 85. They want to take away our ICE, exhausts, and finally HP.