Sponsored by:

Sub/Amp Wiring help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 09:15 PM

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Sub/Amp Wiring help

I am not a audio expert but any means but I'm trying my best here. I removed a JL Powerwedge sub/amp combo from my '14 c63 to put into my '16 cls63 (this forum is much more alive then then the c218 forum). Both the c63 and cls63 have the Harman Kardon system but they appear to be slightly different. A shop did the install a few years ago in the c63. They tapped into the main harness right before the stock amp using the high level inputs from the JL amp and connected 4 wires to what looks like the stock sub wires. I am trying to do the same install in the cls63 (assuming this is the best route to go). Ive read a few threads were people are tapping into the wires directly under the rear deck into what I believe is a secondary amp?

I found the wiring schematic for both the C and CLS (assuming its the same as the E). The 4 wires going to the sub in the C match the same colors in the schematic so at least Im heading in the right direction. Are the 4 wires I circled in the schematic for the CLS the correct 4 wires I need to tap into?

Need some help here

Stock wiring harness cls63 with the 4 high level inputs from the JL Amp

Stock harness from the c63 with the high level inputs spliced in

c63 schematic

cls63 schematic

JL amp

Almost there

Old 01-03-2022, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Does this help?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...rade-w212.html
Old 01-03-2022, 09:21 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
It would if I was using RCA's but I would like to use the high level inputs since its all I have leftover from the previous car
Old 01-04-2022, 05:54 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by bentz69
It would if I was using RCA's but I would like to use the high level inputs since its all I have leftover from the previous car
Nots sure I follow that logic since there are RCA inputs right there in the picture?
I'd recommend to use the RCA low level inputs - generally a better idea.
Otherwise it looks right - as long as you have the + and - and left / right correct. But our connector looks different - see below thread:

Subwoofer info for 2016 E63
Old 01-04-2022, 12:17 PM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
Check out my write up and video. IIRC black is remote power on, brown is rca + and white is rca - but double check with the post and video, it has been a while since I've done this. I have a few other videos about cable management etc.

I would highly advise not using high level inputs for sound quality reasons. Those are for when you don't have an option to use low level.

http://tunedmercedes.com/electronics...s-c218-e-w212/

Old 01-06-2022, 01:14 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by FastWgn
Nots sure I follow that logic since there are RCA inputs right there in the picture?
I'd recommend to use the RCA low level inputs - generally a better idea.
Otherwise it looks right - as long as you have the + and - and left / right correct. But our connector looks different - see below thread:

Subwoofer info for 2016 E63
For whatever reason JL does not include RCA wires with these sub/amps. It only included high level outputs. I was trying to mimic my old install because it seemed real easy and car audio is not exactly my specialty. I really dont understand the difference between low-level and high-level inputs.

I used Posi-Taps to make the connection on the rear amp plug. There really is no room but I made it work. The sub works but I dont like the way it sounds in this car. The rear deck and rear seat have a slight rattle. Withe the passenger side rear seat folded down it sounds soo much better. Im guessing since the trunk is sealed up tight there is no place for the air to go? Might have to make a trip to shop for a recommendation on what to do. Dynamat the trunk? Remove the stock subs to let some air though?

Old 01-06-2022, 01:29 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by cls5504matic
Check out my write up and video. IIRC black is remote power on, brown is rca + and white is rca - but double check with the post and video, it has been a while since I've done this. I have a few other videos about cable management etc.

I would highly advise not using high level inputs for sound quality reasons. Those are for when you don't have an option to use low level.

http://tunedmercedes.com/electronics...s-c218-e-w212/

https://youtu.be/jiR9EHPcKPk
I see you left the plug for the rear deck amp unplugged. Why is this a better option then leaving it plugged in and still allowing the stock subs to work alongside the new sub?

How do you splice RCA's that have 4 wires into only 2 wires from the factory harness?

Something like this?
https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/...ker-wire-90435
Old 01-06-2022, 03:57 PM

'16 CLS63S
I pulled the plug from the rear amp but now the sub doesn't work. Makes sense since the wires I tapped into are after the factory amp so no signal