Sponsored by:

TCU tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 07:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
W212 E63 AMG
TCU tune

I am running a stage 2 tune in the uk and have a TCU tune also which was sent over from the states to be applied to my car, I had some clutch slip on the stage 2 file which prompted me to get the TCU tuning done.

When I got the TCU done I did feel like I noticed a difference and the car seemed quicker it didn’t however stop the clutch slip (I wonder if it was just resetting the adaptions making it feel better) I have since seen people running TCU tunes (mostly in the states so AWD for the most part now RWD like mine) and a lot of these guys are running more torque than me with no slippage.

I guess I am wondering, have I just been unlucky and I will have clutch slip or has something been done differently/incorrectly meaning that I have still got slip but shouldn’t have?

I have an icarsoft fault code reader and I am wondering if I would be able to read the software that is on the gearbox currently and see if that shows to be modified or just the standard?

I currently am running a lower torque stage 2 map which is still definitely quick (6.7s 100-200kmh) but it just feels like I am missing out on running my higher power map when other people don’t seem to have to.

attached is a pic of my graph at stage 2 graph.

thanks in advance

Last edited by carlos85; 01-24-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM

W212 E63 AMG

I don’t know if this is useful info?

Last edited by carlos85; 01-24-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 w212 Amg
Have you tried a gearbox service ? New oil and filter to see if that helps as wet clutch system
Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 PM

W212 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by J888tav
Have you tried a gearbox service ? New oil and filter to see if that helps as wet clutch system

Yeah I had that done in September time last year, I mostly just wondered if any of the people who do TCU tuning on here had any ideas if there was anyway that you could tell if it was the standard tune or if the TCU tune had worked but the car just can't cope with the torque. I did speak to the tuner that applied the tune and he told me that if they upped the clamping pressure etc that the shift would worsen and become very harsh in normal use.

I had read in the past that someone had the TCU tune done but it didn't work properly and they had the tune re-applied and that worked for them. As there aren't many (if any) people with the TCU tune on their car to my knowledge in the uk the information isn't as easily found over here and wondered if people over the pond may have more info on things I can check to go back to the tuner with or if that's all my clutch has to give so to speak and I am just unlucky.

Thanks

Last edited by carlos85; 01-31-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:56 PM

Received 470 Likes on 207 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Originally Posted by carlos85
Yeah I had that done in September time last year, I mostly just wondered if any of the people who do TCU tuning on here had any ideas if there was anyway that you could tell if it was the standard tune or if the TCU tune had worked but the car just can't cope with the torque. I did speak to the tuner that applied the tune and he told me that if they upped the clamping pressure etc that the shift would worsen and become very harsh in normal use.

I had read in the past that someone had the TCU tune done but it didn't work properly and they had the tune re-applied and that worked for them. As there aren't many (if any) people with the TCU tune on their car to my knowledge in the uk the information isn't as easily found over here and wondered if people over the pond may have more info on things I can check to go back to the tuner with or if that's all my clutch has to give so to speak and I am just unlucky.

T
who did the tcu tune? Higher Clamp force doesn’t mean it will engage harsher . It just means when its shifts and engages , that’s the clamping force from the increased line pressure will hold the clutches packs together with more force keeping them from slipping . Also how many miles do you have? You may need new clutches if you have already worn those to its limits. And your rwd which I know breaks traction so easy . You sure it’s clutch slip and not wheel slip? Just trying to go over all the variables
Old 02-01-2022, 01:45 AM

W212 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cifdig
who did the tcu tune? Higher Clamp force doesn’t mean it will engage harsher . It just means when its shifts and engages , that’s the clamping force from the increased line pressure will hold the clutches packs together with more force keeping them from slipping . Also how many miles do you have? You may need new clutches if you have already worn those to its limits. And your rwd which I know breaks traction so easy . You sure it’s clutch slip and not wheel slip? Just trying to go over all the variables
the tune was done through MSL performance in the uk, they got the tune through contacts in the US. Yeah that was my thought that it shouldn’t make the gear shift harsher it should just hold with greater pressure. I’m on 48k miles now and the car has only been tuned for 15k or so if that. Being RWD I am well versed in what wheelspin feels like, this is 100% clutch slip. The clutches hold fine on the lower torque stage 2 map that I have even pulling from low revs in high gears with no issue.

I just wondered if it was possible to check the software on the TCU and see if it was obviously changed or if for some reason it hasn’t gone on properly or something really.

Last edited by carlos85; 02-01-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 AM

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts
2014 E63S
the tune was done through MSL performance in the uk, they got the tune through contacts in the US. Yeah that was my thought that it shouldn’t make the gear shift harsher it should just hold with greater pressure. I’m on 48k miles now and the car has only been tuned for 15k or so if that. Being RWD I am well versed in what wheelspin feels like, this is 100% clutch slip. The clutches hold fine on the lower torque stage 2 map that I have even pulling from low revs in high gears with no issue.

I just wondered if it was possible to check the software on the TCU and see if it was obviously changed or if for some reason it hasn’t gone on properly or something really.
My car needed a reflash after I felt that either the reflash wasn't accepted, or reflash wasnt even done despite paying for it. Went back and made sure they reflashed it again and definitely a noticeable diffrence afterwards
The following users liked this post:
carlos85 (08-31-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:18 AM

W212 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
My car needed a reflash after I felt that either the reflash wasn't accepted, or reflash wasnt even done despite paying for it. Went back and made sure they reflashed it again and definitely a noticeable diffrence afterwards
ah ok it might have been your story that I read in that case. It just seems strange that people are running much higher power than me with no issues at all.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S212 E63s
ah ok it might have been your story that I read in that case. It just seems strange that people are running much higher power than me with no issues at all.
Hey, it seems I've got the same problem here. Car has a stage 2 map, dynod 625rwhp & catless downpipes, clutch slipping and low revs and 20% throttle and sometimes heavy load too. Still hunting for a solution. Mechanic has done readaptation, no luck. I'm also looking into maybe a tcu tune, maybe increased pressure will keep them clutch plates together!
The following users liked this post:
carlos85 (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 620 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Clutch plates don't last forever, is there a wear life indicator/measurement?
When typically do we need new clutches?
Old 08-22-2022, 12:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
Clutch plates don't last forever, is there a wear life indicator/measurement?
When typically do we need new clutches?
^^this

sounds like it would be better to have the trans checked out before blowing it up with increased line pressure and torque with the tcu tune
Old 08-22-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S212 E63s
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
^^this

sounds like it would be better to have the trans checked out before blowing it up with increased line pressure and torque with the tcu tune
I read somewhere on this forum (will try find it) of someone who replaced the clutch pack and still had the same slip issue. Although it would make sense to get a new clutch pack before the TCU tune.