Sponsored by:

Music audio quality is not good with Bluetooth - C218/W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 550
Music audio quality is not good with Bluetooth - C218/W212

I have a 2012 CLS550, but seeing as the E-class/E550 is pretty much the same car but with a different body, and this forum is a lot less dead than the C218 forum, I am here.

The non-existence of power folding mirrors, and this audio quality issue, are my only two issues with the car. However, I'll only talk about the latter today. My last car was a 1998 Lexus LS400, to which I bought a cassette to AUX adapter from O'Reilly's for about 15 bucks. The audio quality was surprisingly really good, aside from some faint static noise in the background when there wasn't anything playing. It was really impressive.

Now, stepping into almost a decade and a half newer Mercedes, with a seemingly great Harmon system, I would assume to get the same if not better audio quality. However, to my surprise, it just doesn't sound good. I can't really identify exactly what's wrong, but it just doesn't sound crisp. I can hear the main melody, the bassline, and then everything else is just smudged together. The audio sounds like it's coming from the engine bay too, for some reason. It sounds like the built-in audio that comes with your cheap TV or laptop. Everything just seems, washed out. It's like the audio is blurry. As someone who is a mild audiophile, and an enjoyer of music, this just doesn't sit right with me.

Out of curiosity, I decided I would turn on the radio for change, see what the horrible and ad-filled stations have at the given moment. To my surprise, it sounded.. normal. Audio sounded crisp, and sharp. While there wasn't one song I liked on the entire spectrum of radio in my area, the audio sounded decent. Reminded me of my old Lexus.

So, I guess it's the fault of Bluetooth then, or is it? It's not my phone (Galaxy Note 10 if you're wondering) since I've used it in plenty cars it and sounded great in all of them, the issue only happens in this car. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the car itself either, maybe something isn't working right. That's why I'm here, asking if anyone has a similar experience.

P.S. Also the bass in my old Lexus felt stronger too, and IIRC it just had the stock 8-inch sub in the back. What size sub is in the Harmon-equipped cars?

Last edited by kemofei; 04-24-2022 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4rvrDarwin (04-29-2023)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:38 PM

2012 CLS 550
Oh no I just realized this is the AMG section.
cotmfk (04-25-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Sound quality is supposedly much better when your phone is connected via cable as opposed to Bluetooth. I can't personally confirm so cuz I never got around to getting that $100 wire.
With regards to the bass. I agree. I find myself turning down the volume when music that is base boosted comes on. It feels like the speaker(s) would blow themselves out. I looked into replacing the woofer and never mind! You gotta dismantle the whole rear deck in order to get to it and do fab work to get a quality aftermarket woofer in. I will just turn down my volume.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:10 AM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
On the shoulder
Personally I haven't had an issue with sound quality over the bluetooth. I do have a friend with a W204 AMG, and he does have issues with it. We connected my phone to his car (via bluetooth) and the sound issues persist. So, it's something to do with his particular car. Got a wireless Carplay module for him and the issue is gone. So, we believe it was the factory bluetooth connection.

(The problem he had was that it sounded as if the bass was maxed out even at normal volumes. It created lots of distortion/feedback for even normal songs. For a song with a lot of bass - forget about it.)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Another thing to remember here is that each "input" can be adjusted in the car's EQ separately. So you can set your EQ for terrestrial radio (AM/FM), set an EQ setting each for CD, AUX and bluetooth as well. Also be sure to check the volume on your phone. Sounds simple, but I've seen people struggle with BT Audio and their volume was all the way down. I'll run the BT audio in mine and have no issues, granted it's not as clean as say a CD is, but if you're that picky while listening to music in your car, then you've probably already upgraded the sound system. Just bring your treble up in the EQ, bring your mids up about +3 as well to fill in that middle note and pull the bass back to -1 or -2. Helps tremendously.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by JEC_E63S
Another thing to remember here is that each "input" can be adjusted in the car's EQ separately. So you can set your EQ for terrestrial radio (AM/FM), set an EQ setting each for CD, AUX and bluetooth as well. Also be sure to check the volume on your phone. Sounds simple, but I've seen people struggle with BT Audio and their volume was all the way down. I'll run the BT audio in mine and have no issues, granted it's not as clean as say a CD is, but if you're that picky while listening to music in your car, then you've probably already upgraded the sound system. Just bring your treble up in the EQ, bring your mids up about +3 as well to fill in that middle note and pull the bass back to -1 or -2. Helps tremendously.
Interesting. I didn't know there were different EQ settings.... especially AUX and BT. Will search around next time I am in the Behemoth. Thanks.
And, NO, I refuse to turn down the bass. That's blasphemy! lol!
I.T. Guy (04-27-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've noticed that if I turn the volume on the phone down about 2 notches the sound quality drastically increases. This is on my W218 btw.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:29 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
Interesting. I didn't know there were different EQ settings.... especially AUX and BT. Will search around next time I am in the Behemoth. Thanks.
And, NO, I refuse to turn down the bass. That's blasphemy! lol!
Hey- I hear ya (not really, I'm pretty much deaf) man! I'm a bass head from back in the day. You're talking to a guy that took the backseat out of a 4 door Honda Accord to put 6 12's in a fiberglass tub back there. I like my bass too! lmao
Old 04-26-2022, 09:46 PM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
W212 E350
Hey- I hear ya (not really, I'm pretty much deaf) man! I'm a bass head from back in the day. You're talking to a guy that took the backseat out of a 4 door Honda Accord to put 6 12's in a fiberglass tub back there. I like my bass too! lmao
Please tell me you have a picture of this abomination
Solo wing (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:16 AM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by DeTh
Please tell me you have a picture of this abomination
Abomination??? She was a baddie!!!! She won more National Show Trophies and got me my coveted "magazine spread" I had wanted since I started building cars when I was 16.

The following 2 users liked this post by JEC_E63S:
cotmfk (04-28-2022), Solo wing (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:19 AM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
I am laughing...I had a beater Accord pictured, trunk would barely close, primer paint, etc. etc. Definitely not the car you have here. You obviously put a lot of work and care into this one.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:28 AM

2012 CLS 550
Just bring your treble up in the EQ, bring your mids up about +3 as well to fill in that middle note and pull the bass back to -1 or -2. Helps tremendously.
​​​​​​​I only have settings for Treble and Bass, no option to adjust Mids.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:21 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by kemofei
I only have settings for Treble and Bass, no option to adjust Mids.
Then just bring up your treble a good bit. I typically have mine at 1 or 2 away from all the way and I bring the bass down to -1. That will help clean up the mid-tones. Your mid-range woofers are trying to work too hard replicating voice, music and bass at the same time which is why things sound muddy (sometimes). Like everything in this world though, sound is subjective and what is good for me, you may not enjoy at all. German's have never been known for their "electronic's prowess". My 2010 Tundra had FAR BETTER & CAPABLE electronics in it than my C350 which was newer. Hope some of this helps, it could just be a bad BT module as well which just isn't giving you a clean signal, I've seen that mentioned a few times on some of these cars.

And sorry for jacking your thread with my Accord! 😬
cotmfk (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:33 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
I am laughing...I had a beater Accord pictured, trunk would barely close, primer paint, etc. etc. Definitely not the car you have here. You obviously put a lot of work and care into this one.
Thank you and yes, that car took about 3- 1/2 years to build. It spent a solid year in the body shop, all of the work done on it was all done in metal fabrication. Very little bondo was used unlike most custom car builds. That was 10k worth of paint alone on the car. The wheels were one offs from Ace Alloy. And yes, she was a trailer queen! lol
Old 04-27-2022, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Thank you and yes, that car took about 3- 1/2 years to build. It spent a solid year in the body shop, all of the work done on it was all done in metal fabrication. Very little bondo was used unlike most custom car builds. That was 10k worth of paint alone on the car. The wheels were one offs from Ace Alloy. And yes, she was a trailer queen! lol
This makes me feel a bit better about having dumped $25+K on my WRX
cotmfk (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:11 AM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
On the shoulder
Then just bring up your treble a good bit. I typically have mine at 1 or 2 away from all the way and I bring the bass down to -1. That will help clean up the mid-tones. Your mid-range woofers are trying to work too hard replicating voice, music and bass at the same time which is why things sound muddy (sometimes). Like everything in this world though, sound is subjective and what is good for me, you may not enjoy at all. German's have never been known for their "electronic's prowess". My 2010 Tundra had FAR BETTER & CAPABLE electronics in it than my C350 which was newer. Hope some of this helps, it could just be a bad BT module as well which just isn't giving you a clean signal, I've seen that mentioned a few times on some of these cars.

And sorry for jacking your thread with my Accord! 😬

Are there taillights on that Accord? If there are, they look totally hidden in those pics!
Old 04-28-2022, 02:13 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by cotmfk
Are there taillights on that Accord? If there are, they look totally hidden in those pics!
3, 8" LED strips in the lower bumper just above the "diffuser" that were flushed in. lol