Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63S Iron to Carbon Brake Upgrade pics and part numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 01:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2006 E55 AMG
I'll be watching then, for when you are ready to part with them. After calculating just how far I need to take an old R170...
Old 06-09-2022, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,184 Likes on 622 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by nemiro
After calculating just how far I need to take an old R170...
All the way, of course!
Old 06-17-2022, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Alright!

Due to every hose and parts order taking 2 weeks from Germany, and me not knowing I couldn’t use 2WD calipers, delays due to vacations and travel…

…I even broke my torque wrench ON THE LAST BOLT and had to go buy another one…

It’s done!

I love them. Feel so great. To me night and day over Irons. So, so good.

Here’s the AWD hoses you can see how they’ve fortified them every spot they might touch something:

Proper hose part numbers for new AWD front calipers

Notice the extra protection where it’s needed

The following users liked this post:
nemiro (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
I ran into every problem lol.

First drive I had a clicking with wheel speed.

Yup, rear hose was getting hit by that wheel weight. I had to take it off twist it closer and re-bleed in the driveway.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 06-17-2022 at 09:50 PM.
nemiro (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Finally!

Yes it was worth it. These things pop the eyeballs out of my head.

Love them!

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 06-18-2022 at 03:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by I.T. Guy:
a100steaksauce (07-31-2022), lampeater (06-19-2022), nemiro (06-17-2022), Rehabguy (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Beautiful.... Man you got some patience LOL
I.T. Guy (06-17-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Would you say brake performance is better? Different? Same?
PeterUbers (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 06:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
Would you say brake performance is better? Different? Same?
this is THE question - was it worth it other than the install gratification and aesthetics?
Old 06-19-2022, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just bought a set as well and will update you guys soon.
I.T. Guy (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
@PeterUbers @Rehabguy I love love love LOVE them.

Not only in braking. The whole car is so much more nimble and connected feeling to the road. I can read the road through the steering wheel, pedals, my *** in the seat, so much more. But not in an annoying "solid bushings" jarring way. It is still the same level of input, it's just a lot more granular, a lot more detail, if that makes sense. Every little thing can be read better now with all the extra resolution in the feedback that was just plain not there before. It is not harsher, it is just .... fuller. Like a stereo not being louder, but, better speakers and amplifier lets you hear way more detail and nuances in your favorite songs that cheaper stuff just plain cannot do. Can the cheaper stuff go just as loud? Sure. Can Iron brakes brake the same distance? Maybe sure. But man, it's night and day just driving around without even starting to brake.

Did I say I LOVE THEM?

Initial bite is right there and linear with pedal, SO much easier to modulate. I haven't locked them up yet. I also haven't gone super fast yet. So far 100mph to 10mph has been my hardest braking and it was immediate and SMOOOOOOOOOOTH. So, so smooth compared to my Irons.

Modulating the brakes is a lot better. There is no "stickiness". The pedal is very controllable into and out of braking, it feels like it has more range. Light braking to heavy (which I have not locked up yet) is just so much more to work with. Again using the stereo analogy it's like having a system that can do super bass all the way to super highs and everything in between with no weird spots that are lacking in the middle. The brakes listen to the brake pedal from very light to all the way to as full as I've pressed so far.

I haven't been able to tell if the car is faster, or if it brakes shorter. It was too long since I've driven it to tell that, and really I don't think I'm near good enough to tell the difference anyhow. If I could Mercedes might pay me to wear their jacket - but so far I'm still paying them. Those quantifiable things should be measured, not just subjectively guessed by my opinion. So performance numbers I won't know until I hit the track.

For driving experience, it was TOTALLY worth it. I already loved my car before, and this made it so much better. The change from Iron to CCB has been dramatic like swapping good summer tires after crappy all season or winter tires. Driving is night and day to me Iron vs CCB. They are the bomb.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 06-20-2022 at 03:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by I.T. Guy:
brutus_tx (07-06-2022), nemiro (06-20-2022), PeterUbers (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy

Not only in braking. The whole car is so much more nimble and connected feeling to the road. I can read the road through the steering wheel, pedals, my *** in the seat, so much more. But not in an annoying "solid bushings" jarring way. It is still the same level of input, it's just a lot more granular, a lot more detail, if that makes sense. Every little thing can be read better now with all the extra resolution in the feedback that was just plain not there before. It is not harsher, it is just .... fuller. Like a stereo not being louder, but, better speakers and amplifier lets you hear way more detail and nuances in your favorite songs that cheaper stuff just plain cannot do. Can the cheaper stuff go just as loud? Sure. Can Iron brakes brake the same distance? Maybe sure. But man, it's night and day just driving around without even starting to brake.

Did I say I LOVE THEM?

Initial bite is right there and linear with pedal, SO much easier to modulate. I haven't locked them up yet. I also haven't gone super fast yet. So far 100mph to 10mph has been my hardest braking and it was immediate and SMOOOOOOOOOOTH. So, so smooth compared to my Irons.

Modulating the brakes is a lot better. There is no "stickiness". The pedal is very controllable into and out of braking, it feels like it has more range. Light braking to heavy (which I have not locked up yet) is just so much more to work with. Again using the stereo analogy it's like having a system that can do super bass all the way to super highs and everything in between with no weird spots that are lacking in the middle. The brakes listen to the brake pedal from very light to all the way to as full as I've pressed so far.

I haven't been able to tell if the car is faster, or if it brakes shorter. It was too long since I've driven it to tell that, and really I don't think I'm near good enough to tell the difference anyhow. If I could Mercedes might pay me to wear their jacket - but so far I'm still paying them. Those quantifiable things should be measured, not just subjectively guessed by my opinion. So performance numbers I won't know until I hit the track.

For driving experience, it was TOTALLY worth it. I already loved my car before, and this made it so much better. The change from Iron to CCB has been dramatic like swapping good summer tires after crappy all season or winter tires. Driving is night and day to me Iron vs CCB. They are the bomb.
Such passion in this review of your newly installed parts. I love it!
Mine came with CCBs and I have never driven a E63 with steelies. I think the initial bite is great on these brakes. I was simply expecting more fade resistance... since they are carbon ceramic and all, lol!
Old 06-20-2022, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Maybe I just missed my car.
Plus I have to feel good about the money too, right?

I think the less weight has a less gyroscope effect, less mass for the shocks to control, etc etc or maybe I’m just crazy.

To me it’s like the different idle in C vs. the happy scampi puppy almost nervous ready to run idle in S or S+

The car is just more alive.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

I think the less weight has a less gyroscope effect, less mass for the shocks to control, etc etc or maybe I’m just crazy.

To me it’s like the different idle in C vs. the happy scampi puppy almost nervous ready to run idle in S or S+

regardless... it brought you happiness - case closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
I.T. Guy (06-21-2022), mbwillgrubs (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S

I think I really need to connect more/better with my car! lol!
Yes, I suppose, if the CCB rotors are lighter than the steelies you are reducing unsprung weight; increasing performance, just as a set of light weight wheels would.

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
regardless... it brought you happiness - case closed.
Amen to that!
I.T. Guy (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will be getting my CCB rotors and the calipers in less than a week and hopefully soon after, the install. I plan on weighing the stock as well as CCB brakes ( both calipers/rotors ) to see what the hype is all about. I can tell you that both CCB calipers and the rotors are significantly bigger than the steel versions so not sure how much weight savings there would be.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:53 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
'15 E63S,'21 LCI M5
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
I will be getting my CCB rotors and the calipers in less than a week and hopefully soon after, the install. I plan on weighing the stock as well as CCB brakes ( both calipers/rotors ) to see what the hype is all about. I can tell you that both CCB calipers and the rotors are significantly bigger than the steel versions so not sure how much weight savings there would be.
If you don't mind me asking whats the going rate for ccb rotors from the dealer front/rear ? Discounted vs straight retail surely will help some but... curious . Running cost down the road of the ccb's always scared me away a bit if I found a car spec'd with them . I was probably over thinking it.. as i'm aware of the increased longevity vs iron's.

Last edited by SilverE5588; 06-21-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am buying a used set and it could be any where from $7000-$9000.....Also depends if the brake pads are new or need replacement .... If driven sensibly, CCB should last a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by C2 Turbo:
I.T. Guy (06-22-2022), SilverE5588 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by SilverE5588
If you don't mind me asking whats the going rate for ccb rotors from the dealer front/rear ? Discounted vs straight retail surely will help some but... curious . Running cost down the road of the ccb's always scared me away a bit if I found a car spec'd with them . I was probably over thinking it.. as i'm aware of the increased longevity vs iron's.
New front rotors can be found online for about USD$3,0000/rotor List is USD$4,550/rotor
Rears are less selling for around USD$2,000ea list is USD$2,850ea
My dealer quoted me CAD$5729.00ea fronts and CAD$4283ea rears and would give me 20% off. Shops may get a bigger discount.

I after all my wheeling and dealing I was into used Calipers, Rotors, and Pads for USD$7k. I screwed up though and bought used 2wd front calipers having no idea they wouldn't fit. I then looked for used AWD front calipers for a bit then just had to buy new AWD front calipers from the dealer for around USD$2500. so I'm into it for $9,500 because of my mistake. I hope to recoup a little when I sell the 2wd calipers one day.

If nothing happens to the rotor prices when I need rotors again, I'll be looking for low mileage used in a few years. I might even just scoop up a mint set if I see them for a good price, and store them.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 06-22-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Cast Iron is 7300 Kg /Cu. Mtr and math says new to worn rotor pad swept area will lose 1.7-2kg per rotor depending how far they worn. That's about 4lbs a rotor. When I weighed my used rotors the fronts were 28.4lbs worn.
Iron Sheik (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320

Did I say I LOVE THEM?

Great write up Jason! =)

Now time to take to Cayuga and see how the performance difference is regarding time wise!

Ps. Get EuroCharged Canada Tuned ECU/TCU, delete your cats and put the Blackboost intake and you will have the baddest 63 wagon out there

Iron Sheik
Old 07-06-2022, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Great write up Jason! =)

Now time to take to Cayuga and see how the performance difference is regarding time wise!

Ps. Get EuroCharged Canada Tuned ECU/TCU, delete your cats and put the Blackboost intake and you will have the baddest 63 wagon out there

Iron Sheik
I have it all and a KW HAS kit too. 958kms left on warranty.... then it starts getting installed
P.S. when are you going to the track again?

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 07-06-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Iron Sheik (07-08-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 05:40 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
This thread is one of the best ever - the passion and the justification to install "upgrades" that 99% of people will not even notice. Fits into the persona of the E63 wagon perfectly. Esp with magno paint - the casual observer sees an older MB wagon with crap, faded paint. The people that know go "Wow - that is one of those!?" Love it!

To OP: happy for you and it's great that you enjoy them. Kudos for going through with it even after all the hiccups!
Old 07-08-2022, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
I have it all and a KW HAS kit too. 958kms left on warranty.... then it starts getting installed
Prolly in the fall?
My brother has my cls. I got a different car.
Most likely will do a baseline before getting EUROCHARGED CANADA TUNED to gimmie their magic potion along side the blackboost downpipes and intakes 🤤🤤

Iron Sheik
Old 08-02-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
About the rear caliper/rotors. Basically could the CCB caliper bolt up to the iron rotor?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E63S
I made a trade my new Girodisc Iron setup with Red calipers plus cash for low mileage CCB.

Dealer quoted CAD$32k before labour!

Dealer part numbers below but they left out the front hose part numbers that I posted pics above.

Warning! I’m unclear if the caliper part numbers for the front calipers include the caliper to knuckle brackets. I would encourage anyone proceeding to double check that! The brackets seem to be unobtanium.

EDIT: I had to buy new calipers to get this project done, and, they come assembled with the brackets

Trying to PM you about the part numbers because of confusion on rwd/awd part numbers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E63S Iron to Carbon Brake Upgrade pics and part numbers