Sponsored by:

Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63 Wagon
Oil Change Interval

A local independent shop recommended I change the oil on my 2014 E63 Wagon every 5,000 miles. Factory interval is every 10,000. He said they're seeing failures in these older timing change motors due to owners not changing the oil often enough.

Anyway, I did some searching and see some people here are changing every 5k or even sooner. Can I ask you all why? I always thought with newer, fully synthetic oils, you didn't have to worry about them breaking down so quickly and anything sooner than 7,500 at the lowest to 10,000 mile interval oil changes was just wasting money.

So, should I stick with the factory interval or increase it to every 5,000 miles?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2022, 03:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by nvr-nrcd-nbdy
A local independent shop recommended I change the oil on my 2014 E63 Wagon every 5,000 miles. Factory interval is every 10,000. He said they're seeing failures in these older timing change motors due to owners not changing the oil often enough.

Anyway, I did some searching and see some people here are changing every 5k or even sooner. Can I ask you all why? I always thought with newer, fully synthetic oils, you didn't have to worry about them breaking down so quickly and anything sooner than 7,500 at the lowest to 10,000 mile interval oil changes was just wasting money.

So, should I stick with the factory interval or increase it to every 5,000 miles?

Thanks!
5000, it's a nominal cost and effort
Old 10-27-2022, 03:32 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
5000, it's a nominal cost and effort
Sure, I can see that. An oil change itself isn't that big a deal. But then it also seems like we're just halving the MB Factory recommendation for no reason. Out of curiosity, why do you do it every 5k?
Old 10-27-2022, 03:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sure, I can see that. An oil change itself isn't that big a deal. But then it also seems like we're just halving the MB Factory recommendation for no reason. Out of curiosity, why do you do it every 5k?
after years of reading and processing that info, since owning this car since 2014; I am tuned as well. The engine needs good lubrication and needs carbon debris to be removed more frequently than 10,000 miles, particularly if you're driving it aggressively. The manual even states that the engine can burn through 1 qt of oil every 2000-3000 miles in normal circumstances.

I would argue that an oil change is a big deal. If you think it's for no reason after you're done with your research then stick to 10,000 miles.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-27-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:46 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
after years of reading and processing that info, since owning this car since 2014; I am tuned as well. The engine needs good lubrication and needs carbon debris to be removed more frequently than 10,000 miles, particularly if you're driving it aggressively. The manual even states that the engine can burn through 1 qt of oil every 2000-3000 miles in normal circumstances.

I would argue that an oil change is a big deal. If you think it's for no reason after you're done with your research then stick to 10,000 miles.
When I said the oil change itself isn't a big deal, I was referring to the fact that you said it's nominal (I'm assuming from a cost standpoint). I absolutely agree that an oil change should be done, I'm just trying to figure out if there are any facts behind doubling the frequency at which it's done. I'm a little leery of shops or parts warehouses recommending these shorter intervals just to get your car in the shop all the time or to sell more oil change kits. Now, if there were some solid reasons behind this, I'm all for listening to that.

Carbon debris? Like carbon buildup that's a byproduct of direct injection fueling? How does that get into the lubrication system? Then if it is, are people doing an oil analysis at their oil changes and finding this? I'm familiar with other direct injected motors having carbon buildup issues but that never got into the oil. But obviously there could be something different with this motor on why/how that happens...

As for oil burning, I carry a spare quart in the car and have extras in the garage. I top off when the warning hits the dash. I'm averaging about 1 quart for every 2,500 miles. Are you topping off before the light goes off?

I am trying to research and not finding much evidence, just people saying it makes them feel better to do it every 5k (or even sooner!).
Old 10-27-2022, 10:07 PM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
I just change my oil once a year, but drive between 5-10k miles/year. I split driving between multiple vehicles so total mileage is low.

Car has 33k miles (2015), which I picked up in 2018 with 6500 miles.

FWIW I burn no appreciable oil in that time period. I drive aggressively, but not as hard as others on this forum.

I think it is hugely dependent on the type of driving that you do, and if you ever get the car fully warm. Short drives where vehicle never warms up is never good.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
just watch some tasos videos.... and do the oil change under 10000
Old 10-28-2022, 02:51 AM

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
2013 E63 P30, 2010 GL550
Oil breaks down and contaminates with combustion byproducts and component wear. As others mentioned above, there are 2 major factors here: motor use and quality of lubricant. With intended use under expected conditions and with specified synthetic lubricants, the maintenance interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever is sooner. How do automakers figure it out? They have engineers and chemists who understand wear and can scientifically determine the rounded interval that everyone can control easily. Mileage and/or time.

I do wonder about new synthetic lubricants beginning to appear. For example, new Mobil 1 FS 0W-20 good for 20,000 miles. Found a 4-year old video by Jason Fenske on this topic. Recommended.

Bottom line is that some of us do not mind the cost and trouble of extra oil changes. You would not damage the motor by more frequent oil changes. Though any justification is irrational bogus unless it is based on data or bulletin (based on data). With regards to indy/dealer recommending shorter intervals... ignorance or trivial business and a chance to upsell. No mystery here.

Last edited by maxusa; 10-28-2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

When I said the oil change itself isn't a big deal, I was referring to the fact that you said it's nominal (I'm assuming from a cost standpoint). I absolutely agree that an oil change should be done, I'm just trying to figure out if there are any facts behind doubling the frequency at which it's done. I'm a little leery of shops or parts warehouses recommending these shorter intervals just to get your car in the shop all the time or to sell more oil change kits. Now, if there were some solid reasons behind this, I'm all for listening to that.

Carbon debris? Like carbon buildup that's a byproduct of direct injection fueling? How does that get into the lubrication system? Then if it is, are people doing an oil analysis at their oil changes and finding this? I'm familiar with other direct injected motors having carbon buildup issues but that never got into the oil. But obviously there could be something different with this motor on why/how that happens...

As for oil burning, I carry a spare quart in the car and have extras in the garage. I top off when the warning hits the dash. I'm averaging about 1 quart for every 2,500 miles. Are you topping off before the light goes off?

I am trying to research and not finding much evidence, just people saying it makes them feel better to do it every 5k (or even sooner!).
Sounds like you're set, enjoy your car in good health

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-28-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:38 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
I totally agree with what Tasos is saying here, which seems to me is to check your oil level regularly. And to do it with the dipstick, not relying on the sensor. I don't know that this video addresses why you should change the oil more frequently - other than it provides the chance correct the oil level.

A question I had during the video though, I've always checked oil level at temperature, but it sounded like Tasos mentioned doing it cold. I didn't catch why he said to do it that way though.