W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump solenoids

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 07-24-2024, 08:19 PM

Received 254 Likes on 153 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Rick, these oils are fair choices within the right ballpark.

These engines respond really well to oiling improvements:
Cleaner "SP rated" for GDI LSPI
Viscosity @100C around 15,16,17,18,...
Higher flash temp for rings seal

I am not a fan of using friction modifiers to make up for thin film viscosity.
It's no mystery that professional HDEO oils unequivocally provide both for 75,000Mi oil change, not 5,000K Max.
No, I know, but what I was trying to say, the oil with wear under 5ppm Aluminum, iron, etc.. is what I'm looking for. I'm not using any additives or mixing oils, just testing virgin oils and my used samples for the best results.

Basically, i'm looking for the oil my engine likes the best. For the best engine life.

But I am curious to what your choices would be. I can add or amend the list as I haven't order the next brand yet. But either way the engine will dictate what I end up using.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,253 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Going up

Originally Posted by Rickman30
No, I know, but what I was trying to say, the oil with wear under 5ppm Aluminum, iron, etc.. is what I'm looking for. I'm not using any additives or mixing oils, just testing virgin oils and my used samples for the best results.

Basically, i'm looking for the oil my engine likes the best. For the best engine life.

But I am curious to what your choices would be. I can add or amend the list as I haven't order the next brand yet. But either way the engine will dictate what I end up using.
Rick, the short list oils carry "API SP" rating for cleanliness. Definitely not a legacy "Racing oil" for long-term everyday driving.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Big oil marketing material is always over promising... to the point counter performance and extreme heat can be disappointing.

We know the best engine protection comes from a combination of molecular chemistry plus actual film thickness.

The short list :
-1- MOD-3.0 VAL.15W-40 SP - Seems thinner than what I had in MOD-2.1 (@600mL Mob. 5W-50 SN rated) This is chemistry change, so results are going to evolve.

-2- From there the next best option is a 0w50 SP (Mobil1 ??)

-3- Kev's Motul "8100/Power" 5W-50 SP is a great reference oil

-4- ?? Hotter TT may seek further viscosity insurance with: 10W-50 SP - TBD ??

+++ TOO MUCH IS NOT BETTER
- It is proven that oil film uses a bit of energy...
- We are seeking balance between too thin and too thick.
- MOD-1 normal oiling is much safer than limited MOD-0
- Too thin is destructive: wear + heat
- Balance yields performance + longevity
- Too thick is the "law of diminishing returns"

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Yesterday at 01:53 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Received 254 Likes on 153 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Rick, the short list oils carry "API SP" rating for cleanliness. Definitely not a legacy "Racing oil" for long-term everyday driving.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Big oil marketing material is always over promising... to the point counter performance and extreme heat can be disappointing.

We know the best engine protection comes from a combination of molecular chemistry plus actual film thickness.

The short list :
-1- MOD-3.0 VAL.15W-40 SP - Seems thinner than what I had in MOD-2.1 (@600mL Mob. 5W-50 SN rated) This is chemistry change, so results are going to evolve.

-2- From there the next best option is a 0w50 SP (Mobil1 ??)

-3- Kev's Motul "8100/Power" 5W-50 SP is a great reference oil

-4- ?? Hotter TT may seek further viscosity insurance with: 10W-50 SP - TBD ??

+++ TOO MUCH IS NOT BETTER
- It is proven that oil film uses a bit of energy...
- We are seeking balance between too thin and too thick.
- MOD-1 normal oiling is much safer than limited MOD-0
- Too thin is destructive: wear + heat
- Balance yields performance + longevity
- Too thick is the "law of diminishing returns"
Thanks, you are farther along in testing than I was thinking.

But I'm still trying to establish a solid baseline within my engine. Once I'm satisfied the engine is happy through test results, then I can slowly increase viscosities, and test those outcomes before moving on. that way if the numbers go the wrong way, I can easily back up and change course. Let the engine tell me what it likes or doesn't like.

And I have added these to my list of potentials. But I'm not even close to coloring outside the lines just yet.

Even though there appears to be silver bullets, wait long enough and the paint begins to peal.

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (Yesterday)