Sponsored by:

Started shaking (misfiring?) at highway speed in high gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S
Exclamation Started shaking (misfiring?) at highway speed in high gears

Hey there, Billy Mays Here first time poster.
2014 E63 AMG S, 101,100 mi.
Driving at highway speeds today, while in "C" mode, the car started shaking and sputtering while in 6th & 7th gear. I downshifted to 4th and pulled off/stopped asap, the sputtering continued until the stop and the engine stopped (guessing because I had used the paddles but normally it downshifts itself). Out in Park and restarted, started fine. Took backroads home @45mph and no more sputtering, but a squeal was now noticeable from the front drivers side while under power. I don't know if this is an aggregate of coincidental problems, symptoms to a bigger one to come, or something from recent work done to the car. I've put almost 1,000mi on it since I've bought it and had the following work done at the local Mercedes dealer:
- CV boots
- Lower control arms
- Sway bar bushings
- Turbo coolant lines & Water pump/Thermostat
- Transmission & Engine mounts
- Brakes & Rotors
- Rear shocks & Air springs
All that comes to mind at the moment would be misfiring or something with the transmission. On the highway today the engine seemed to be smooth which makes me lean towards the transmission. Any recommendations?
Old 05-26-2024, 02:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
define sputtering better:
- what's the tach needle doing
- any lights on the dash
- have you ever had a misfire - did it feel
like a misfire?
- recent new gas station?

likely you're misfiring - could be lots of things. Unclear the relationship to the squeal, I would check belts as things needed to be moved to get turbo lines installed/replaced

Was there a CEL?
have you scanned for codes?
any smoke out the exhaust that looks weird?
any leaks in engine bay?
belts ok when you inspect engine while running?

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-26-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:46 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
While it was sputtering the tach seemed to stay constant and not sporadic, but I wasn't watching too closely when it happened. There was no check engine light and the only code on the ECM was P01812A, fuel temp sensor detected no signal change. Still no check engine light and drove it around backroads with no significant issues. Same gas station as the last few fill ups too. There are no leaks where the car is parked and nothing unusual coming out the exhaust.
At the moment the noise is either something rubbing (I didn't see anything touching anywhere it shouldn't around the front left wheel), or a wheel bearing is starting to go as the sound was less frequent after a bit of driving and changes with speed.
I was going to do coils and plugs in the near future, but since misfiring seems to be the culprit then I'll be doing those next week.
The following users liked this post:
Yakatak (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,219 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Could it be the water pump, a/c compressor clutch, or idler pulley causing the squeal?

What scan tool did you use?
Old 05-27-2024, 09:10 AM

2014 E63 AMG S
I have an iCarsoft scanner so nothing too advanced. Short drive today (<5 miles) and the car shuttered again three times with no power, so pulled over and stop/start each time. This time the check engine light came on so I went home and scanned.
-P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
-P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
Ordered the plug/coil/air filter kit from FCP last night, so hoping a tune up does the trick. I also ordered a cheap borescope, so while I have the access I'll scope the cylinders 🤞.
The squealing noise only occurs when rolling. Its intermittent with speed and operating temp. Only thing I did to the car before it started was wash it and clean the wheels. Drove it that night and no noise, just started hearing it same time as the misfiring.
Should've just done the wheel bearings & hubs along with the rotors looking back, but I think that's where the noise is coming from.
If it were from the engine then I'd most likely rule out the water pump as its new, The a/c was off so likely rule out a/c clutch. Idler pulley is a possibility, I just haven't heard anything at idle or revving up while parked.
At this rate I have a feeling I'll be looking at fuel pumps after a few hundred more miles.

Last edited by Billy Mays Here; 05-27-2024 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Coils is highest likelihood to cure the engine stumble

couple of good threads on 100k+ m157 e63's in the sticky to consider

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...2-amg-e63.html

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-27-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:08 PM

2014 E63 AMG S
Update. Replaced coils and plugs, air filters too, and cleared the codes. Car runs strong and no more misfires. All of the cylinder walls looked to be in good shape, some piston heads were looking a little gross. Noticed the cam position sensor had oil on the harness so doing those and wheel bearings next month.
The following users liked this post:
PeterUbers (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,219 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here
Update. Replaced coils and plugs, air filters too, and cleared the codes. Car runs strong and no more misfires. All of the cylinder walls looked to be in good shape, some piston heads were looking a little gross. Noticed the cam position sensor had oil on the harness so doing those and wheel bearings next month.
I WOULD NOT WAIT to address the oil in the harness. The fix is easy *unless the oil has progressed to far. Disconnect from the ECU and check for oil there. Get these extensions and install them ASAP!

Amazon Amazon