Odd Engine sound M157

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 63s AMG 4matic
Odd Engine sound M157

Hey,

What are your thoughts on this engine sound. Im referring to when im slightly giving gas and the RPMs drop, you can hear this "grinding" noise. Might be wrong, but does it sound chain related? Is it normal?
Warm or cold engine, always sounds like this. Oil is fresh and oil level is good.

Link to video:

Dont mind the "empty" IC coolant resorvoir, its fixed.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2024, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,374 Likes on 2,246 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by ibbe778
Hey,
What are your thoughts on this engine sound. Im referring to when im slightly giving gas and the RPMs drop, you can hear this "grinding" noise.

Might be wrong, but does it sound chain related? Is it normal?

Warm or cold engine, always sounds like this. Oil is fresh and oil level is good.
...../....
Dont mind the "empty" IC coolant resorvoir, its fixed.

Thanks.
It sounds healthy and even without laggy throttle.

How many total miles on it?

Compare between engine cold and operating temperature.

Presumably when decelerating the ECU increases the load on serpentine belt load with a higher ALT demand.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:13 PM

CLS 63s AMG 4matic
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
It sounds healthy and even without laggy throttle.

How many total miles on it?

Compare between engine cold and operating temperature.

Presumably when decelerating the ECU increases the load on serpentine belt load with a higher ALT demand.
Gratitude for your reply!

Happy to hear the engine sounds healthy. Warm/cold engine makes no difference. The car indeed only has 25k miles (yes you read that right) and has been serviced at the dealer every 3k miles. Its a 2013 model year produced in June.

Im the third owner (previous to two older gentlemen), never winter driven, a big deal for being in scandinavia with the salty winter roads we have.

Regarding the laggy throttle, I have actually hopped on the train of unplugging the oil solenoid to the oil pump. Car clearly ran better after that. Car has updated timing chain, but I have the car booked in to get updated tensioners and check valves as im hearing some slight chain rattle upon warm starts sometimes.

Sorry for the long update and history of my car. This forum is very nice and helpful!

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2024, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

timing tune-up

Gratitude for your reply!

Happy to hear the engine sounds healthy. Warm/cold engine makes no difference. The car indeed only has 25k miles (yes you read that right) and has been serviced at the dealer every 3k miles. Its a 2013 model year produced in June.

Im the third owner (previous to two older gentlemen), never winter driven, a big deal for being in scandinavia with the salty winter roads we have.

Regarding the laggy throttle, I have actually hopped on the train of unplugging the oil solenoid to the oil pump. Car clearly ran better after that. Car has updated timing chain, but I have the car booked in to get updated tensioners and check valves as im hearing some slight chain rattle upon warm starts sometimes.

Sorry for the long update and history of my car. This forum is very nice and helpful!

Thanks!
​​​​​​Glad your enjoying your excellent car with the oil of your choice.
Funny thing is dealer is going to realize your engine has better throttle response than other customer cars.

-- You know while you have the 2x front VVT covers removed to upgrade chain tensioners, it would not cost you much to throw in a coolant thermostat. It's really good insurance.

-- Also at that time have the CPS + VVT Solenoids inspected one by one or replaced with pigtails against oil-in-harness damage.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-04-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:22 AM

CLS 63s AMG 4matic
​​​​​​Glad your enjoying your excellent car with the oil of your choice.
Funny thing is dealer is going to realize your engine has better throttle response than other customer cars.

-- You know while you have the 2x front VVT covers removed to upgrade chain tensioners, it would not cost you much to throw in a coolant thermostat. It's really good insurance.

-- Also at that time have the CPS + VVT Solenoids inspected one by one or replaced with pigtails against oil-in-harness damage.

Great to hear! So I dont need to worry about my engine sound then?

Thanks for the tip. I have actually already changed the CPSs myself (very easy). The Solenoids though, is booked along with the tensioners.

What about the coolant thermosatat, is it really that big of a concern? Just looked it up, seems expensive for a thermostat... Im feeling like skipping it for now as my cost is already high on the work order. But not sure.
Old 07-07-2024, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cover sealant leak...

Great to hear! So I dont need to worry about my engine sound then?

Thanks for the tip. I have actually already changed the CPSs myself (very easy). The Solenoids though, is booked along with the tensioners.

What about the coolant thermosatat, is it really that big of a concern?
Just looked it up, seems expensive for a thermostat... Im feeling like skipping it for now as my cost is already high on the work order. But not sure.
Your engine only has 25k, so you can skip this for now.

Let's address the oil leak from the VVT cover sealant gasket.
Make sure this stops leaking after the 2x chain tensioners replacement.
Cleaning and spreading new sealant on timing covers is part of that job.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-07-2024 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:06 PM

CLS 63s AMG 4matic
Your engine only has 25k, do you can skip this for now.

Let's address the oil leak from the VVT cover sealant gasket.
Make sure this stops leaking after the 2x chain tensioners replacement. Cleaning and spreading new sealant on timing covers is part of that job.
Yes new sealant will be applied, dealer confirmed this.

Should I have them listen for the sound in the video or am I just overthinking at this point?
Old 07-07-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes new sealant will be applied, dealer confirmed this.

Should I have them listen for the sound in the video or am I just overthinking at this point?
Why not, they are "factory trained" and have seen it all... I am sure your concern can be addressed while your engine is being worked on.

​​​​​​
Old 07-16-2024, 10:19 AM

CLS 63s AMG 4matic
Exclamation Please help!

Bumping this because this sound is still driving me crazy.

I would really appreciate multiple opinions on this. As you can hear, there is almost a "grinding" noise when i start giving gas and then letting go. Almost as if the timing chain is loose?

Thanks to CaliBenzDriver for the first answer on this thread.