Sponsored by:

Carbon Ceramics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Carbon Ceramics

I had a build slot for mid Sept and they have put the Carbon Ceramics on restriction... I知 so upset...
I致e taken an incoming unit sitting in Halifax... I guess I値l try to order again in the new year...
I知 in Canada btw...
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by orenlasko
I had a build slot for mid Sept and they have put the Carbon Ceramics on restriction... I知 so upset...
I致e taken an incoming unit sitting in Halifax... I guess I値l try to order again in the new year...
I知 in Canada btw...
Did they say why?
I would not buy a daily driver without CCBs anymore, had them on all my cars since 2007.
(except SUVs but they are driven by my wife only)
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 M3 sedan; 2012 Mustang Boss 302; 2018 E63 S on order
Originally Posted by absent
Did they say why?
I would not buy a daily driver without CCBs anymore,
Curious, why is that? I have heard people say the opposite where if they tracked their car then CCBs otherwise iron brakes do the job.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
My impressions are this:

iron brakes do a good job at the track if you use the right fluid and are aware of the eventual fade and drive responsibly... CCB are virtually fade free and will last much longer and have improved lots in the past years...
Old 08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Bueller
Curious, why is that? I have heard people say the opposite where if they tracked their car then CCBs otherwise iron brakes do the job.
I have had my first car with CCBs for a year now. There are 3 things I really love about it: No brake dust making my wheels look dirty; no brake squeal; much better braking power than steel.

Would I buy a car without CCBs? Yes because the problem is when they make it an option you can't get your money back on resale. However I would much rather buy a car with standard CCBs like my 911 Turbo S.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Also curious - as a owner of a car with carbon ceramics, I doubt I would ever buy a daily driver with carbon ceramics. Definitely will not opt for them should I pick up an E63S.

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I have had my first car with CCBs for a year now. There are 3 things I really love about it: No brake dust making my wheels look dirty; no brake squeal; much better braking power than steel.
Carbon ceramics really need to warm up to best steel brakes, though. That wouldn't be a factor for me on a daily driver.

Brake squeaking happens with carbon ceramics too, especially when the brakes are cold. My buddy is always complaining about the squeaking on his 991 GT3 and regrets opting for the carbon ceramics. To be fair, I've never noticed squeaking on my carbon ceramics.

Last edited by gengar; 08-05-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by gengar
Also curious - as a owner of a car with carbon ceramics, I doubt I would ever buy a daily driver with carbon ceramics. Definitely will not opt for them should I pick up an E63S.

Carbon ceramics really need to warm up to best steel brakes, though. That wouldn't be a factor for me on a daily driver.

Brake squeaking happens with carbon ceramics too, especially when the brakes are cold. My buddy is always complaining about the squeaking on his 991 GT3 and regrets opting for the carbon ceramics. To be fair, I've never noticed squeaking on my carbon ceramics.
I've never had squealing. The propensity has to be lower than steel based on my experience.

I am skeptical of this warm up issue. I drive my car daily, mostly on shorter drives, and have never observed brake warm up to be an issue. That said Porsche does have the best brakes in the industry.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I tracked E63S and GT S during AMG Performance days. Both with CCBs. Once they got hot, the grinding noise was very unpleasant. I was told this is normal when they get too hot. You don't get this with standard rotors.
If there was an improvement in braking feel and stopping distance, it was only marginal.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:15 PM

none
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I am skeptical of this warm up issue. I drive my car daily, mostly on shorter drives, and have never observed brake warm up to be an issue. That said Porsche does have the best brakes in the industry.
It is well-established in testing that carbon ceramics have vastly different stopping power when cold vs warm. No reason to be skeptical.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:18 PM

none
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
I tracked E63S and GT S during AMG Performance days. Both with CCBs. Once they got hot, the grinding noise was very unpleasant. I was told this is normal when they get too hot. You don't get this with standard rotors.
If there was an improvement in braking feel and stopping distance, it was only marginal.
Carbon ceramic brakes should not grind - it is certainly not normal. I've done extensive track time on many cars with carbon ceramics and never experienced "grinding" while braking. There may have been buildup of pad material or something like that.

BTW, the whole point of carbon ceramics is that they don't get "too hot".
Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Carbon do get hot its that they dissipate the heat much faster then steel. The whole idea behind it is to make big heat and then cool very fast
Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:
Do you plan to track the car REGULARLY? if yes, then opt for ceramics.
IF used for only daily driver with occasional spirited driving and Maybe a few track days far and few in between? Then stick with the regular brakes.
Mine will be a daily driver so I will stick with the regular iron brakes.
Brake squeal will happen with both iron rotors and carbon ceramics. They're performance brakes. I don't understand why people who get performance brakes and Expect them to be super quiet like a Toyota Camry. They're PERFORMANCE BRAKES! They will make some noise.

Braking performance(most people will associate this with actual braking distance) is pretty much equal between the two anyways.

As for brake dust, I'd happily save $10k and if I ever get too lazy to clean my own rims, I can spend the money I saved to hire someone to clean my wheels with that $10k. Lol

Last edited by Nex1; 08-07-2017 at 02:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Nex1
As for brake dust, I'd happily save $10k and if I ever get too lazy to clean my own rims, I can spend the money I saved to hire someone to clean my wheels with that $10k. Lol
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
My first experience with them was in my old 599 back in 2007 and it was very positive.
I had a problem with warped rotors in SL65, S65, E55, M5 and a couple others (I tend to be pretty hard on my cars, lots of driving at 4AM on cop free interstate).
What sells me on ceramics is improved ride, better responsiveness, handling and braking distances.
Never had grinding or noise issues with them but then I'm **** about properly bedding brakes every time I get a new car (an old habit from my rally days in early 80s).
The benefits of lowering unsprung weight (multiple vs everywhere else in the car) are just too many for me to consider vs their price of entry.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Nex1
Here's my 2 cents:
Do you plan to track the car REGULARLY? if yes, then opt for ceramics.
IF used for only daily driver with occasional spirited driving and Maybe a few track days far and few in between? Then stick with the regular brakes.
Mine will be a daily driver so I will stick with the regular iron brakes.
Brake squeal will happen with both iron rotors and carbon ceramics. They're performance brakes. I don't understand why people who get performance brakes and Expect them to be super quiet like a Toyota Camry. They're PERFORMANCE BRAKES! They will make some noise.

Braking performance(most people will associate this with actual braking distance) is pretty much equal between the two anyways.

my brakes are whisper quiet
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Various
Thanks again for all the replies. I spec'd out the car I wanted a couple of days ago, but ended up buying the car the dealer had on the lot today. Doesn't have the carbon ceramic brakes, and isn't even the color I wanted (I wanted diamond white; ended up buying a black - literally the opposite!). But - the price was good for an '18. As I was mulling over an '18 vs. '19 I asked them to price out replacing carbon ceramic pads and rotors - as if I was replacing them at 100K. Their AMG tech suggested I wouldn't need pistons/calipers. Excluding labor, the price would be $20K. $20K! Made me feel slightly better about getting the "regular" brakes, but truth-be-told, if they had a version with carbons, I probably would've bought it then and there.

Thanks again.