Sponsored by:

AMG Exterior Carbon Fiber Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
AMG Exterior Carbon Fiber Package

Question about the Exterior Carbon Fiber Package. If in conjunction with the Night Package, basically, do you get the Night Package and certain elements are swapped out for Carbon Fiber?

Does anyone have both packages / can comment?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Yes instead of black on the fascia and diffuser area its now carbon. Also if you ordered the mirrors in Carbon (why its not part of exterior carbon?) then they will be instead of black . In essence I think we only get the chrome windows and roof rail for all that money

I ordered night, carbon mirrors and exterior carbon as well
The following users liked this post:
X166 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM

2013 GL550
Gotcha--so if you get the Exterior Carbon but do NOT get the Night Package, then the roof rails and window trim are the standard chrome...

Does ANY package darken the emblems / logos and the rear horizontal chrome strip on the tailgate?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
nope, except on the front fender side we get a carbon piece around badging on the fender. It almost like a upside down check mark

I would like rear tailgate not sure why they leave that piece. Some guys use matching vinyl on it. I might go that route have to wait till my car gets here and see
ronin amg (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW 550i M- Sport; '19 E63s or '19 M5??
Note: I believe there are two (2) exterior carbon fiber packages: one that covers the front spoiler lip, rear diffuser and side mustache behind the front wheels; and one that covers the side view mirrors and rear deck lid spoiler. I plan to order only the second package as I think that the pieces on the first (and more expensive) package will take a beating on the road.
X166 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63s
Originally Posted by Stealth7
Note: I believe there are two (2) exterior carbon fiber packages: one that covers the front spoiler lip, rear diffuser and side mustache behind the front wheels; and one that covers the side view mirrors and rear deck lid spoiler. I plan to order only the second package as I think that the pieces on the first (and more expensive) package will take a beating on the road.
I ordered the night black package and both CF packages. I wanted just the rear deck lid spoiler but you can’t order it separately. I had to order the mirrors in CF to get the deck Spoiler in CF.
X166 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
i have all available carbon packages. Was not my choice but the car was close to my would be ordered and I bought it. Together with black wheels and night package it creates nice upscale look. But I think it's overpriced and if I would have a choice I would save 4-5K and get options I like.
X166 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:15 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by mmmamg
i have all available carbon packages. Was not my choice but the car was close to my would be ordered and I bought it. Together with black wheels and night package it creates nice upscale look. But I think it's overpriced and if I would have a choice I would save 4-5K and get options I like.
Congrats on the car!

How many miles have you put on the car so far and have you noticed damage to the front lower bumper carbon fiber? I was considering all of the exterior packages with Night Package but was worried about damage and repair cost. Alternatively, could do Carbon Fiber mirrors with Night Package only.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
i have only 300 miles so couldn't judge on reliability . plus i live in snow free zone so i dont expect much damage unless i do it myself!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:54 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by mmmamg
i have only 300 miles so couldn't judge on reliability . plus i live in snow free zone so i dont expect much damage unless i do it myself!
Gotcha.

My plan is to use the car as a daily—and my work commute is about 100 miles round trip. Just worried about rocks more than anything. Might have to clear bra for peace of mind.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I have 4500 miles or so on mine.

As a result of the cross country drive from Maryland to California, I have noticed a few small chips in the leading edge of the CF splitter.

You have to get pretty close to see them and need to be looking for them to, some are more noticeable by feel more than visual.

Not a worry to me right now, but I might wrap the front end at some point.
X166 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by E634Me
I have 4500 miles or so on mine.

As a result of the cross country drive from Maryland to California, I have noticed a few small chips in the leading edge of the CF splitter.

You have to get pretty close to see them and need to be looking for them to, some are more noticeable by feel more than visual.

Not a worry to me right now, but I might wrap the front end at some point.
Great info, thanks!!!

Also was wondering at what distance can one notice that those pieces are Carbon weave versus plastic? Curious at what distance the visual
impact is made.

Alternatively, does anyone know if the Night Package’s front and rear valences are black through and through? Or are the painted?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:51 AM

2013 GL550
Bump on the question if anyone knows if the Night Package plastic trim is black through and through or if it is a painted black layer on lighter colored plastic?

Also—is the Exterior Carbon Package noticeable visually on Selenite Gray? Pics anyone?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Originally Posted by X166
Also—is the Exterior Carbon Package noticeable visually on Selenite Gray? Pics anyone?
I don't have any close up pics with me as I'm out of town, but honestly the ext. CF is barely visible on my car, and that's against the high contrast of white.
I picked up this car from existing inventory, had I built it myself I would have never specced it. First of all it's a lot of $ for a minimal rear diffuser, tiny front lip, thin rocker trim, and mirror caps. More importantly, although very pretty, it looks dull in comparison to the other piano black external trim of the night package. Against white the clean contrast of black just looks sharper and more defined than the CF. Most important, I don't like multiple finishes on the exterior of my cars ... as it stands you have the paint color, the piano black of the night package, and the chrome rear trim and badging, adding CF is just too much to my eye. If they had made the rest of the bumper elements that are piano black in CF it would look correct to me, now it just looks like a weird and random mix of black and CF.

All that said, those are my preferences and may not translate to others, and in some ways it might be that the CF elements blend in better with Selenite.

If it helps you can see the difference in contrast on the rocker trim between the CF on the E63 and the piano black GTR:

Here's a close up of the CF:

Last edited by soulsea; 03-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
X166 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
SO Night package plus the second CF exterior options (~$1250) will give you all the pieces in dark or CF. The first CF option (more expensive one) will simply replace some night package pieces with CF

A little simplistic in explanation, but visually that is about what you get
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by soulsea
I don't have any close up pics with me as I'm out of town, but honestly the ext. CF is barely visible on my car, and that's against the high contrast of white.
I picked up this car from existing inventory, had I built it myself I would have never specced it. First of all it's a lot of $ for a minimal rear diffuser, tiny front lip, thin rocker trim, and mirror caps. More importantly, although very pretty, it looks dull in comparison to the other piano black external trim of the night package. Against white the clean contrast of black just looks sharper and more defined than the CF. Most important, I don't like multiple finishes on the exterior of my cars ... as it stands you have the paint color, the piano black of the night package, and the chrome rear trim and badging, adding CF is just too much to my eye. If they had made the rest of the bumper elements that are piano black in CF it would look correct to me, now it just looks like a weird and random mix of black and CF.

All that said, those are my preferences and may not translate to others, and in some ways it might be that the CF elements blend in better with Selenite.

If it helps you can see the difference in contrast on the rocker trim between the CF on the E63 and the piano black GTR:

Here's a close up of the CF:

Thanks so much for the reply and thoughts.

I think the carbon really pops on the white! My plan was to definitely go for the Night Package on Selenite (gloss, not Magno). Wagon will be my daily—will drive 500 miles a week...concern was weather or not the carbon exterior (esp front splitter) would get eaten up by rocks on my commute while not being super visually distinct. Might be best for my usage case to just skip the carbon exterior?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:37 AM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt

Thanks so much for the reply and thoughts.

I think the carbon really pops on the white! My plan was to definitely go for the Night Package on Selenite (gloss, not Magno). Wagon will be my daily—will drive 500 miles a week...concern was weather or not the carbon exterior (esp front splitter) would get eaten up by rocks on my commute while not being super visually distinct. Might be best for my usage case to just skip the carbon exterior?
If you wrap the front clip, mirrors, and rockers whether you choose the CF package or not, that of course becomes less of an issue (this is what I did). 500 miles a week is a lot though, that wrap is going to take a beating, and the thing about CF is that as opposed to black panels it cannot be repainted, once it's damaged the only thing that can be done is either leave it or get a new part. That's why I avoid speccing any CF on cars I track, and why Porsche for example uses cheap unpainted plastic for splitters, rockers, and diffusers on their GT cars. On the other hand I don't know if the piano black trim in the night package is molded with black plastic or if is a painted part, if it's the former then the only solution when damaged is also replacement.

Not to overthink it too much I think the general premise is going to be that if CF gets damaged it's going to cost more to remedy, so factor that in the equation when you calculate how much your desire for it is worth.

I think the one thing you should also ask yourself is how much are you actually going to even see that it is carbon fibre. Even against the contrast of my white, unless you're one or two feet away you'd never know it's CF, from afar it looks gloss grey, and what you will likely get against a selenite grey paint is it basically looking color matched to the car on the side and rear, and to the piano black trim on the front bumper, and that's a lot to pay for a something that will essentially disappear into the background and have practically no visual impact. All this with the caveat that I'm going via deduction and not having seen that combo in person.
X166 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by soulsea
If you wrap the front clip, mirrors, and rockers whether you choose the CF package or not, that of course becomes less of an issue (this is what I did). 500 miles a week is a lot though, that wrap is going to take a beating, and the thing about CF is that as opposed to black panels it cannot be repainted, once it's damaged the only thing that can be done is either leave it or get a new part. That's why I avoid speccing any CF on cars I track, and why Porsche for example uses cheap unpainted plastic for splitters, rockers, and diffusers on their GT cars. On the other hand I don't know if the piano black trim in the night package is molded with black plastic or if is a painted part, if it's the former then the only solution when damaged is also replacement.

Not to overthink it too much I think the general premise is going to be that if CF gets damaged it's going to cost more to remedy, so factor that in the equation when you calculate how much your desire for it is worth.

I think the one thing you should also ask yourself is how much are you actually going to even see that it is carbon fibre. Even against the contrast of my white, unless you're one or two feet away you'd never know it's CF, from afar it looks gloss grey, and what you will likely get against a selenite grey paint is it basically looking color matched to the car on the side and rear, and to the piano black trim on the front bumper, and that's a lot to pay for a something that will essentially disappear into the background and have practically no visual impact. All this with the caveat that I'm going via deduction and not having seen that combo in person.
Excellent advice—and the way I’m leaning right now is to skip it and go Night Package. Especially on the wagon—no lip spoiler. So it’s mainly pieces that are very low to the ground and not super visible unless looking for it. Thanks, very helpful.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:11 PM

☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
Excellent advice—and the way I’m leaning right now is to skip it and go Night Package. Especially on the wagon—no lip spoiler. So it’s mainly pieces that are very low to the ground and not super visible unless looking for it. Thanks, very helpful.
I don't think you will ever regret getting the night package, and there's a chance you might regret paying extra for the CF package and how it interacts with the grey paint.

In my humble opinion, one of the very subtle yet essential design details of the car with the night package is how the black roof rails and black rocker trim beautifully define the upper and lower lines of the wagon, essentially setting the overall design and shape in between ... you can really see that in the 3/4 angle pic of my car that I posted above. With CF against grey paint one loses that framing. Now some folks might prefer a more monochromatic look, in which case CF against grey will achieve that effect, it's just a matter of preference.

I really wish the carpet matched the drapes on my car, I might wrap the rocker trim in piano black vinyl for symmetry.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nissan
Went through this same process when specc'ing my wagon. Went with just night pkg and plan to match the chrome strip in the back to glass black. I think that will look better on the metallic grey.

The carbon premium for exterior was too much in my mind for too minimal a change. On a lighter color car, maybe, but totally agree with soulsea on too much external color-clutter. The one thing I might have changed to CF if possible is the little check mark. I might debadge so having a little subtle flair (flare?) there would have been an interesting option.

I did go with the carbon interior though (debated against ash black). I think you can really see the CF there and get the full impact from it. Plus I was concerned about kids and the porous / contoured ash surface.
X166 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
There's not a lot of carbon fiber in the 773 AMG Exterior Carbon Fiber Package 1, which was $2950 on my order.

I have the Selenite Grey Magno paint and the night package.

Kind of overcast at the moment, but here are some shots I took a few minutes ago to show the various bits.

I did not order the second exterior carbon fiber package which adds the mirror covers in CF and the rear spoiler. I thought the CF rear spoiler might have looked a bit tacked on. But, having seen some photos of cars with that package with the Selenite Grey Magno it did look good. But, happy with my choice.

Last edited by E634Me; 03-07-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Add missing thoughts.
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
nynd (03-07-2018), X166 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 514 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
.... only if MB could sell the cf trim piece by piece ... I really just want the rear diffuser piece and could not care the others. In Canada, the exterior cf trims is $3500 or $2700 US (converted), I just don't see it and therefore, I removed it from my build.