Sponsored by:

Wrapping my E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLE63S Coupe, '21 RS7, '21 Supra
Wrapping my E63S

I originally wanted to get the Selenite Magno but the upkeep of the factory matte finish is difficult in the upper Midwest, so I settled with the metallic finish. I've never wrapped a car before but I was thinking of wrapping my car with a matte finish, either clear matte or some sort of graphite matte color. I will be tinting the windows too, probably to 40%, and blacking out the horizontal front nickle/chrome bar piece. Anyone have any experience with wrapping? Would it be a good idea for such an expensive car? Does it look tacky? I'll be going to a local car shop that does many high end vehicles. I'm not one to keep my cars for very long (gone through 5 cars in the last 12 months) so the original paint finish protection isn't as important to me. However, I do think this car checks most of my boxes for now so I'm thinking of keeping it for 12-18 months. Thanks!

Last edited by TheGuac; 02-20-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Wagon
Where are you going or located? Xpel has a matte wrap (stealth) that actually looks great, be prepared to drop 5k on a full wrap though. I have a front clear with xpel and you have a hard time noticing it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Xpel stealth is the best out there. You can't even see it if it's done right.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I was going to go to a local guy here (who also owns a shop in SD, CA --> Auto Enhancers). However, he only has the 3M and Avery wraps. Are these two brands OK for matte wraps? They're probably thinner. Seems like XPEL has a few dealers in WI but the closest one is about 90 miles away. Will the stealth wrap make it look like the selenite grey magno paint? For some reason, selenite gray magno seems slightly more grey than the metallic version, so I'm not sure if it'll be an exact replica.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
From what I have told clear wraps, matte or glossy, have chemicals in the adhesive that will discolor after time. The solid wraps are thicker and the adhesive is not exposed to light so it is more durable and easier to remove. This is what I have heard from a company thats does mostly commercial wraps.

I have black and want to do an Avery Satin Black wrap. The Satin wraps are the most dirt resistant and easiest to maintain.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Checked a few XPEL stealth dealers in the area and they charge around $6500 for full car wrap. The material sounds like it protects a lot better than a regular vinyl wrap but the price seems a little steep when I will probably trade this car in for a custom built, Euro delivery 2019 or 2020 E63S (assuming M5 Comp package or new RS7 don't impress me). I may end up then either clear bra'ing the front fender area or simply applying a thin matte vinyl wrap. Definitely still tinting though!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM

Wagon
Originally Posted by TheGuac
Thanks for the info. I was going to go to a local guy here (who also owns a shop in SD, CA --> Auto Enhancers). However, he only has the 3M and Avery wraps. Are these two brands OK for matte wraps? They're probably thinner. Seems like XPEL has a few dealers in WI but the closest one is about 90 miles away. Will the stealth wrap make it look like the selenite grey magno paint? For some reason, selenite gray magno seems slightly more grey than the metallic version, so I'm not sure if it'll be an exact replica.
I used auto image in barrington,il - authorized dealer and great service. I believe xpel has a 10'year warranty against yellowing too. I suggest researching before anything, a great shop will give good advice and not try to push their products

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
‘17 Carrera GTS, ‘16 E63 Estate, 1965 Shelby Cobra and a few more
Doing a full wrap to achieve the matte finish is a smart approach.

When it comes to wraps, clear or color change, the installer is critical. Do your research, talk to people, inspect cars. A poorly done wrap will look tacky and give you angst every time you walk up to your car, a well-executed wrap will look as good as a factory finish. Talk to dealers in your area, in my experience the best installers work with dealers and if you can get a referral you are a step ahead of a cold start.

Lastly, make pricing the last thing you ask about. Expect to spend as much as $8-9k for a full wrap with paint correction and all the necessary disassembly to do it correctly. It can take up to a week of work to achieve the level of quality that you will be happy with.

I originally wanted to get the Selenite Magno but the upkeep of the factory matte finish is difficult in the upper Midwest, so I settled with the metallic finish. I've never wrapped a car before but I was thinking of wrapping my car with a matte finish, either clear matte or some sort of graphite matte color. I will be tinting the windows too, probably to 40%, and blacking out the horizontal front nickle/chrome bar piece. Anyone have any experience with wrapping? Would it be a good idea for such an expensive car? Does it look tacky? I'll be going to a local car shop that does many high end vehicles. I'm not one to keep my cars for very long (gone through 5 cars in the last 12 months) so the original paint finish protection isn't as important to me. However, I do think this car checks most of my boxes for now so I'm thinking of keeping it for 12-18 months. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maserati ghibli
I never saw a wrapped car in matte finish that I liked! The selinite Magno is amazing, you won't get close to that finish with a wrap, in my opinion a wrap is a waste of money but when you can buy a 180K car what is 8k then...

I have an xpel front on my Maserati but this is just to protect the paint.
The following users liked this post:
Mhoughland (08-01-2020)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Schnippy
I never saw a wrapped car in matte finish that I liked! The selinite Magno is amazing, you won't get close to that finish with a wrap, in my opinion a wrap is a waste of money but when you can buy a 180K car what is 8k then...

I have an xpel front on my Maserati but this is just to protect the paint.
The fawk?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Wagon
I thought the sentiment would the opposite, protect the car
Old 08-01-2020, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 C63s coupe
Did you get this done? I am also in upper Midwest (WI) and looking to wrap a selenite grey metallic coat with an xpel matte finish but am a little afraid.

Checked a few XPEL stealth dealers in the area and they charge around $6500 for full car wrap. The material sounds like it protects a lot better than a regular vinyl wrap but the price seems a little steep when I will probably trade this car in for a custom built, Euro delivery 2019 or 2020 E63S (assuming M5 Comp package or new RS7 don't impress me). I may end up then either clear bra'ing the front fender area or simply applying a thin matte vinyl wrap. Definitely still tinting though!