E63 s disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Mike450
Correct, but that's point, the list is growing.

Who knows what the next "security issue" will be.
How many more "security" issue units have been added? How many more general "this unit that renders your car inoperable is only available to select few" will they add?

The answer to both those questions is >1. Even with a scan tool, replacing these units is not always PNP. The whole point being, the future repairability of cars today is going to be an issue.
I will not disagree with you there about new issues we will see (mostly software). That is what I've been saying above, it is mostly going to be a software problem than hardware. And yes it across all the product lines not just the expensive vehicle in a line.
I will however say that manufacturers have a little more leeway in writing nearly unbreakable software for security based devices (like the key to operate your vehicle) than for random parts that make your car run. Most countries regulate that.
Also there is the issue that MB themselves do not make a majority of the parts that go into building their cars. They have 3rd party suppliers doing that

And let is not forget just how clever some folks are at bypassing these software codes....(check out ebay for products that Rentech will charge you your mother's first born son for, being sold for less than $500....yes they work, I ship vehicles out of the country quite often, I have had to modify them to allow them to work oversees and its crazy how talented these guys from the Eastern European regions are at bypassing all sorts of codes).
When I was last in a third world country (just a few weeks ago), I saw how easy it was for them to reverse mileage, convert modern German cars (less than 5 years old) from right hand to left hand drives, and a whole lot of things I thought were too expensive to do here. Being done for pennies on the dollar
The following users liked this post:
Mike450 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 745 Likes on 487 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
That's fine, but it's no excuse. Mercedes is the one that runs around with the slogan "the best or nothing". It's sad when 25 year old Toyotas are more reliable than a brand new "best or nothing" car.
Actually it is pretty logical. First of all a 25 year old toyota is such a simple mechanical device there is barely anything to fail.

Secondly Toyota is known for making conservative cars that are far from cutting edge, in order to top the reliability tables.

Mercedes makes cutting edge vehicles, with a high degree of complexity. And for that segment of vehicles, it is one of the most reliable.

People should not extrapolate from the odd sob story, that the entire class of vehicles is faulty. Mine has been absolutely perfect. My guess is that the fault rate per new vehicle on the W213 is comparable to other German luxury cars. Yes a Lexus GS350 will have fewer faults, but it is also a less exciting vehicle with less technology.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,327 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
So I'll modify my original point in light of the great discussion:

All predriven cars will pose a more complex problem for their subsequent owners regardless of brand or acquisition cost of the predriven car; the time to diagnose may take longer and I don't see mechanics' hourly rate doing anything other than going up.

i guess the other thing is how often will a software problem 10 years into a car's existence land that car on a flatbed and useless until repaired? Probably not often; the software issues and hardware issues that do that are often remedied during the bumper to bumper period.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
So I'll modify my original point in light of the great discussion:

All predriven cars will pose a more complex problem for their subsequent owners regardless of brand or acquisition cost of the predriven car; the time to diagnose may take longer and I don't see mechanics' hourly rate doing anything other than going up.

i guess the other thing is how often will a software problem 10 years into a car's existence land that car on a flatbed and useless until repaired? Probably not often; the software issues and hardware issues that do that are often remedied during the bumper to bumper period.

I will add. Mechanics hourly rates will leap jump up cos they do not have to simply replace broken parts like they do now, they have to practically have a computer degree to work on future cars, any of them.
The only saving grace will be that manufacturers HAVE to make these parts that go into automation (and complexities) cheap enough to allow you and I to buy these cars at a reasonable cost or they stand to lose heavily as well. If the cost of repairing/replacing these things get so expensive MB cannot afford to do so reasonably, there will have to be a reduction (or elimination) of warranty periods or MB cannot afford to sell the cars.

On the other side of things.... Cost of parts are fraction of what you see on the retail side of things. Some years back when I got my first AMG (was used with no warranty), I used my EIN to setup a account with my local MB dealer and bought lots of parts through them....when I say some parts go for a third of the retail cost, I am not kidding!