Sponsored by:

Xpel / PPF on Selanite Grey Magno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Xpel / PPF on Selanite Grey Magno

Getting my matte finish selanite grey E63s next month. Any opinions on PPF / protective wrap to keep the car scratch and chip free. I figure I spent $120k so $5k to keep it looking perfect seems reasonable.

I have read about install issues, yellowing over time, wrap pealing, etc. Also, what wrap would you recommend? If I do it I’d just do the whole car as I live in a big city with parking lots and rude people.

I looked at Xpel Stealth but I got the Magno paint over just a wrap because I liked the glossy satin finish of the Magno that looks unique and different under different lighting. Would a wrap diffuse or ruin that look?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
Originally Posted by opherhenry
Getting my matte finish selanite grey E63s next month. Any opinions on PPF / protective wrap to keep the car scratch and chip free. I figure I spent $120k so $5k to keep it looking perfect seems reasonable.

I have read about install issues, yellowing over time, wrap pealing, etc. Also, what wrap would you recommend? If I do it I’d just do the whole car as I live in a big city with parking lots and rude people.

I looked at Xpel Stealth but I got the Magno paint over just a wrap because I liked the glossy satin finish of the Magno that looks unique and different under different lighting. Would a wrap diffuse or ruin that look?
i suggest to wrap the whole car, today I got a super scratch on my door. I guess when I was parked somewhere, someone smashed his door on mine.

I am so sad.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Major bummer.

I have a small chip in my paint that I need to get fixed that a wrap would have helped prevent.

Still, don't know if I'm going to go that route.

Saw a lady the other day fling her door open all the way and let if bounce off the stops with total disregard to the vehicle next to her. It was a nice new pickup, that thankfully was about 1 inch far enough away so that she missed hitting it. As I passed by her 10+ year old faded compact sedan I noticed she'd made sure to install her Club lock on the wheel. Also noted a her big knitting bag, but didn't see any cats roaming the back seat. I probably shouldn't note that she needed every inch of door opening, but I will. As the Stradman would say, Girth Nation . . .

Last edited by E634Me; 03-17-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A6
Xpel

I did front bumper, front of fender panels, rocker panels and luggage section on trunk with Xpel PPF and it looks great. Only been two weeks but since it’s my daily driver I feel a little more protected. As far as issues with it, I can tell you my installer warrantied it for 10 years. Well worth the investment.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
Adding Xpel stealth to magno paint doesn’t make it look different. Maybe if you look very closely you’d see a slight difference. Definitely get it done, you’ll enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (09-03-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:33 PM

2017 CLS63-S
I'm looking at Xpel Stealth for my Mango Selenite as well, leaning towards the critical parts rather than the whole. Took a look at a sample of that vs Llumar/Suntek and the Xpel was much more naked to my eyes. However, dealers in Toronto are apparently out of stock for a few weeks, which was a warning to me by one dealer as Xpel seems to have supply issues. However, I don't know of another product that looks virtually naked to the eye - and like you, do not want to sacrifice the Magno look with a completely diff wrap look.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 667 Likes on 514 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
^ how many ppf shops have you talked to in Toronto ? Some may have plenty of ppf stock in hands to be ready for the busy season.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:53 PM

2017 CLS63-S
Didn't talk to everyone but a few reputable and referred ones - both had similar comments and one having contacts others to gauge availability as well, same issue.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
doesn't Xpel Stealth add a matte finish? why not a clear coat/standard PPF?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63 AMG S, 2016 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe
I got suntek's matte film on the front, side rockers and lower trim bits. I can't really notice its there and it does the job on protection. I will say that the magno paint its actually a very durable and tough finish. It doesn't need to be babied as much as people think.
ronin amg (09-03-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Just out of curiosity, what are you all getting quoted for a full wrap?

My normal installer has told me $7995 for a full wrap in Xpel stealth. Judging by bits and pieces I've seen on the forum, it seems higher than others.

As a side note, I know this is a thread on the Magno color, but he did send pictures of 2 18 E63 wagon's he did which were selenite metallic and when they were done wrapping in Xpel, and I was pretty suprised on how well the matte look comes off.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Also, just out of curiosity, for comparison purposes, how much would a paint correction and full respray of the magno clear coat cost?

Seems like it couldn't cost that much more than a full wrap at the $8 k price . . .
Old 09-04-2018, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by HarambeMB

I did front bumper, front of fender panels, rocker panels and luggage section on trunk with Xpel PPF and it looks great. Only been two weeks but since it’s my daily driver I feel a little more protected. As far as issues with it, I can tell you my installer warrantied it for 10 years. Well worth the investment.
Do you mind telling us what you paid?

Last edited by rorywquin; 09-04-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
Originally Posted by tonecas
doesn't Xpel Stealth add a matte finish? why not a clear coat/standard PPF?
you can’t apply standard ppf , it will make paint gloss
matte finish needs a matte ppf
Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by dav461
you can’t apply standard ppf , it will make paint gloss
matte finish needs a matte ppf
yeah, stupid question. i was thinking on grey selenite metallic

i am really curious and interested in knowing how would standard black behave with Xpel Stealth.
another guy on the forum has taken his obsidian metallic black and wrap it in Xpel Stealth and the results are amazing. It gets close to the matte black of ED1. so I am now considering if i should change my order from obsidian black to standard black since I am thinking on wrapping also in Xpel Stealth and thus changing the finish from glossy to matte, and if the results are the same then I will be sparing about $1k on the paint...
Old 09-04-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you plan to wrap - of course change to "standard" classic black - in the event of minor damage in any event - classic black is much easier to address than metallic Obsidian - that said metallic Obsidian has a "extra" top/clear coat for CQ or other "ceramic" polish.

On the "wrap's" - in our non-major-metro area a full wrap done by a top notch team is like $4K range
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If you plan to wrap - of course change to "standard" classic black - in the event of minor damage in any event - classic black is much easier to address than metallic Obsidian - that said metallic Obsidian has a "extra" top/clear coat for CQ or other "ceramic" polish.

On the "wrap's" - in our non-major-metro area a full wrap done by a top notch team is like $4K range
Yeah it consists out of 3 components, while normal paint only 2.
base paint, metallic paint and lacquer

is the xpel only option you have in US? Why don’t your consider Suntek, Hexis or 3M? They are amazing ppf on the market, especially first 2
Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

but the thing is, i really never saw side by side the same car in standard black and obsidian black in outdoors space so i cannot tell the difference. well, i know that the obsidian black is more grayish and glossy according to the incidence of light and probably because of the metallic particles added but i don't know how that will affect the final result when applied a matte PPF over it.

how far in changing the paint's color tone and brightness goes a matte PPF? the images i saw from using obsidian black were astonishing, but disregarding the fact that the images were taken with rather low outside light...
Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0

Yeah it consists out of 3 components, while normal paint only 2.
base paint, metallic paint and lacquer

is the xpel only option you have in US? Why don’t your consider Suntek, Hexis or 3M? They are amazing ppf on the market, especially first 2
in my case i'm not in the US and there are few guys doing detailing since this is not that common in my country. at least, few that i can have confidence in leaving my car....the major one is precisely an expert on Xpel brand.
the reviews seem to say good about 3M Scotchgard Pro also, and Suntek/Llumar as being the most hydrophobic. i am expecting this will cost me some good money but i prefer to have more peace of mind and at the same have the option to get a matte car of my choice having the possibility of just reversing the thing later if needed (matte colors are not sought after in my country and can even lower the residual value of the car)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 GLE63S Coupe, 2018 E63s
Xpel Stealth on Selenite Grey Magno

here’s how it looks on my wife’s car. Just like the paint itself
Graeme Arno (01-11-2020)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:13 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
that's a very nice color and nicely specd.
that was my initial set-up but decided for the black.

Last edited by tonecas; 09-05-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Thanks for info I'll be using xpel stealth on the hood ,front bumper and fenders. Good to know it won't be noticeable against the rest of the car.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:20 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by tonecas
in my case i'm not in the US and there are few guys doing detailing since this is not that common in my country. at least, few that i can have confidence in leaving my car....the major one is precisely an expert on Xpel brand.
the reviews seem to say good about 3M Scotchgard Pro also, and Suntek/Llumar as being the most hydrophobic. i am expecting this will cost me some good money but i prefer to have more peace of mind and at the same have the option to get a matte car of my choice having the possibility of just reversing the thing later if needed (matte colors are not sought after in my country and can even lower the residual value of the car)
in which country do you live ?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
in which country do you live ?
I'm in Portugal, Europe
Old 01-01-2020, 09:32 AM

E43 AMG
Pictures please

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I got suntek's matte film on the front, side rockers and lower trim bits. I can't really notice its there and it does the job on protection. I will say that the magno paint its actually a very durable and tough finish. It doesn't need to be babied as much as people think.
Hey,
Can you provide pictures of the suntek matte ppf. I'm looking to get mine done