Brake Assist = Bloody Dangerous

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by Katkon
2018 E63S Wagon; car was set to "medium" brake assist (default from when I picked up the car). On the drive home I was accelerating hard between the right lane, into the left lane - passing through a middle lane. Yes there were cars around, but fairly large gaps between them. As I squeeze between the cars in the middle lane (not much of a squeeze, really) and get into my left lane I suddenly feel the seat belt tighten and the car slams on the brakes. There was nothing - NOTHING - in the left lane; my guess is that the car assumed I was going to hit a car in the middle lane. The car skidded briefly... The guy approaching me from behind in the left lane had to slam on his brakes. Bloody dangerous, if you ask me. Have promptly set the assist to "off" following that incident. YMMV!
trying to envision your driving here and it sounds bloody dangerous!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Originally Posted by Katkon
2018 E63S Wagon; car was set to "medium" brake assist (default from when I picked up the car). On the drive home I was accelerating hard between the right lane, into the left lane - passing through a middle lane. Yes there were cars around, but fairly large gaps between them. As I squeeze between the cars in the middle lane (not much of a squeeze, really) and get into my left lane I suddenly feel the seat belt tighten and the car slams on the brakes. There was nothing - NOTHING - in the left lane; my guess is that the car assumed I was going to hit a car in the middle lane. The car skidded briefly... The guy approaching me from behind in the left lane had to slam on his brakes. Bloody dangerous, if you ask me. Have promptly set the assist to "off" following that incident. YMMV!
Join the club. Other than using the turn signal, can you disable it from one of the buttons to the left of the steering wheel or do you have to go through the menu system. I sometimes brush those annoying people driving slowly in the left lane without anyone in front of them or in the right lane next to them. It would be nice to press a button if you come on a situation where you might have to swerve to avoid an object without worrying about the brakes coming on.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I used to work for an MB dealer and saw issues where brake assist would randomly act up once in a blue moon. HIGHLY recommend that you buy a dash cam, that way if it happens again you can show the dealer.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I have driven the new S63 Cab pretty hard recently and never had this happen. I remember tracking E63S at AMG Perf tour and it happened to me several times, later last year the same with another E63S at a track day. Combined with the stupid steering column gear selector, one would say E63 needs updating (hopefully W213 facelift will address these annoyances).

The same applies to AMG GT, where it is better to place stickers over all sensors if you go on a track because the "safety" system intrusion is dangerous, especially for cars driving behind you during a race.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Haflinger
active lane assist OFF. on a country road where you can straighten out a corner it is so dangerous the way it slams on a brake. Even on the freeway if you want to ease away from a wide truck it does the same. Scary for every one!
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLE 43 AMG
I had a situation today with my 2018 AMG 43 , when I hit a sizable bump the seatbelts tightened up and the brakes slammed on. It happened so quick I’m not even sure what else was going on around me. It was really drastic. I read someone wrote this happens once in a blue moon but maybe it’s best to use it at certain times and not leave it on. I guess that’s the proof I needed that it works. Anyone else experience abruptly hitting a bump? Also do you turnoff all these assists when going through a car wash?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
My car is selenite grey magno, so no automagic car washes for me. Plus, not sure I'd want to risk the 20" rims on some of the tire guide systems used in car washes.

I have learned to disable the keyless entry feature though when hand washing the car. Simply double click the lock button on the remote. This keeps the car from repeatedly locking and unlocking as you're washing the car in the proximity of the door handles.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:30 PM

2018 GLE 43 AMG
Wow, thanks for the great tip on disabling the keyless entry, I wax the car and working around the handles has been a little annoying.
There is only one car I go to and this particular place can accommodate large pickup trucks. I used to bring my Raptor there. So the guides are low and wide. Also brushless and air dry. But points well taken. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 PM

Happened again today. I was fully alert and traffic suddenly stopped in front, without warning the brakes forcibly engaged with about 4-5 feet from the car in front of me. I tried to hit the accelerator to help ease the braking because I was worried the guy behind me was going to hit me. Apparently you cannot disengage the braking on your own. So, for me it is a huge dilemma - on one hand if in the rare situation I am not paying attention and I'm about to hit someone this could be a life saver. However on the other hand it could unnecessarily cause injury as the case above or if it senses an object on the road that it sees as a threat. Suddenly slamming on the brakes, of which you have no control of, could result in a fatal rear end collision.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Not really, if you are on the brakes it won't intervene that much. So it only tends to react if you are not paying attention (as you were in this case), and it does monitor the rear sensors. It won't let you hit the car in front just to soften a rear blow, but the system is all about mitigating the injury potential. There's very little risk of a "fatal crash because your car stopped suddenly", at least your car slowed down some and turned your brake lights on before you would have, and that can only help. The alternative, is you hitting that stopped car at full speed and then the guy behind you hitting you at full speed, which can only be worse. If you are already on the brakes because you see what's going on, the car won't slam on more brakes. It can increase the pressure supplied by you (effectively a stronger brake booster effect) if it detects a sharp pedal movement like panic braking that isn't getting close enough to threshold braking, but it can't initiate it's own braking actions if you are pressing the brake.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I always deactivate that thing immediately, it almost killed me when it slammed on the brakes at 70mph because it "thought" I was going to crash into a truck in the middle lane (I was trying to finally squeeze between said truck and a left lane hog blocking me for miles).
Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 AM

How do you turn it off and does it stay off or do you have to manually turn it off during each start up.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by E634Me
My car is selenite grey magno, so no automagic car washes for me. Plus, not sure I'd want to risk the 20" rims on some of the tire guide systems used in car washes.

I have learned to disable the keyless entry feature though when hand washing the car. Simply double click the lock button on the remote. This keeps the car from repeatedly locking and unlocking as you're washing the car in the proximity of the door handles.
LOL I leave the key off to the side.....
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 AMGs
I only have two options in the setting menu - Standard and Adaptive.
Is there a complete disable option?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:32 PM

2018 GLE 43 AMG
Lightbulb

The Brake Assist can be turned off and adaptive cruise/ braking still functions on my vehicle. Which is great since it would not really be adaptive without the braking. The reply from Absent is important to take note of. And it tells me to disable when driving on highways. Traffic movements are too unpredictable. I had an instance where a driver was doing a poor job of staying in his lane whilst exiting the parkway and my vehicle sensed it causing the brake assist to activate as I went to pass the vehicle. I was in the right lane. In my vehicle it is only temporarily deactivated after you disable it. Next time you start your car it is enabled. Not a bad thing really. Also there is a little graphic that appears in the distance graphic indicating it is disabled. Also a plus. So it seems there is a lot more to do now when going for a drive. You need to setup your car technology. Brake assist disabled “check”, Auto shutoff Disabled “check”, Bluetooth phone connected “check”, Lane departure disabled “check”, and whatever you do don’t activate the parking assist....
Old 08-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
e400 wagon
Hi All,

I started a thread so we can get a head count on people with this issue, across different platforms. If your car's having this problem, please post here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...ml#post7833418