Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective Buyer

Old 06-22-2018, 04:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E63, C63S Edition 1
Prospective Buyer

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to get into the W213 E63. However, I'm having trouble figuring some things out and have turned here in hopes of some input and advice. I am very **** about my cars and love keeping them as clean as possible at all times, which is why all my cars are white, because it's just easier to maintain. I recently went to Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach and my son showed me a wagon in the matte grey color. I was only looking at the sedans but after seeing the wagon, it really got me thinking. It has every option I want, but the matte grey paint has me concerned. Is it hard to maintain? I've heard things like bird poop, sap trees, etc.. can really harm the paint. Is this true? The color is beautiful so for me its between polar white and a possible wrap later on or get the matte grey and clear bra it. I should also mention that dealer is asking for a 25k mark up. Yeah right. I live in orange county, but this weekend I'm hoping to go to LA and visit dealers around there since they seem to have more inventory. If anyone in SoCal can recommend a good dealer or salesperson to deal with, that'd be great too. I'm tired of talking to salesmen with little knowledge on the car. A couple other decisions I need to make are to get the CCB's or not and to get the performance seats or not. I test drove one with the regular seats and the active bolster really impressed me. I sat in one with performance seats and loved the way it felt, but never drove it. Do the perf seats have active bolstering? I don't go on long road trips so I feel like both are possible for me. Any cons with either seats after living with them? I've recently heard of ceramic coating wheels. What exactly does this do? Does it help prevent brake dust? Lastly, I'd like some advice on pricing. I travel all the time and really am just home on the weekends as of now and I'm not in a massive hurry to rush into the new E63. I plan on buying it and I was wondering what kind of deals people were able to get. With the 2019s around the corner, should I be able to negotiate a little more? I could also wait and custom order a 2019, but dealers near me don't budge on price too much. My son said if I custom order one, I should look into doing European delivery. Didn't know I'd be so torn with multiple decisions. But I want to end up with a car I get excited about every time I open my garage door. I'm cheap and like to get the best deal I can. Sorry for the long post, I just figured this would be the place to get some real answers to my many concerns. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by CarDad; 06-22-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Cool...

Great call on white...

You should be able to negotiate minimum if 5-8% off msrp or more. Paying over list at this stage is not something that should be done.

Regarding the seats- the performance seats have no active bolsters in them. They are the way they are. Some of said they are uncomfortable for long rides others have said not. You would have to drive one and figure it out on your own. Me personally I have the regular seats with active bolsters and they work great, even on the track.

I like the matte paint but it means it can only be hand washed.

Regarding brakes the CCB are very expensive and completely unnecessary. They do offer no dust but they cost alot.

Hope I helped.

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
ceramic coating the wheels simply make it easier to wash and get the baked on brake dust off without heavy scrubbing. The coating should last about 9 months at least for most brands.

Performance seats vs standard seats - that's something you have to sit in there to experience yourself. Everyone will have their likes / dislikes.

CCB - is a bit of overkill and expensive to change/replace. Again, it is another one of those options you don't need but nice to have on a beast.

If you are shopping for the 2019, then there is a thread in this forum you can check out and pm OP for price and delivery discussion

Last edited by bobblehead; 06-22-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Since you’re in no rush, I would order the car, definitely not pay over MSRP (your son’s idea about European delivery is not a bad one!). Have you tried Mercedes of South Bay (Torrance)? They seem to be willing to negotiate. Aside from the looks, I don’t care too much for the performance seats and both my wife and I found them uncomfortable during our test drive. The active bolstering is remarkable in the normal seats, makes the car feel alive! The CCB option was too expensive for my taste (and wallet!) so I can’t comment on how good it is. The matte finish is starting to grow on me although, at this time, I would still go with a normal paint and then apply coating, sealant and wax (in that order). Good luck and tell us what you decided in the end!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
I looked at a number of cars before ordering a 2019 and I never had a dealer ask for more than MSRP and I was able to get small discounts in some circumstances; but never found exactly the car I wanted with all the specs and price I wanted. None of these, however, were at my local dealer and I found that the Internet dealers were less likely to deal on price because there are just not that many e63s wagons available. But I wouldn't pay over sticker under any circumstance. The only other consideration is that the administration is threatening to impose a 20% tariff on European cars - so there is some risk there if you order a car.

I don't know why you would order CC brakes unless you intend on spending lots of time in the canyons or on the track. They can make noise and they are less effective when cold. Perhaps less of an issue in southern California, but I had an incident once in a parking lot (in winter) in my FF where I had to make an emergency stop and the brakes just didn't work well. I had just started driving and hadn't touched them yet except to pull out of the parking spot. It is also not worth $10k to have less dust on my wheels (given everything else) - but to each their own.

I think that the active bolsters are fantastic - again, my experience is as a test driver. I read lots of comments on this board and others before ordering and my view is that the consensus is that this is the way to go, especially in the wagon. I think it also looks slightly off in the wagon (to have sport seats) - but that's just my opinion. I ordered the matte paint - we'll see on that.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
With the 2019 models coming soon, paying under MSRP for 2018 models is where it should be. Newport FJ was where I got MY17 S63. Give Dave Gonzalez, GM ( dave@fjmercedes.com ) a shout out, I’m sure he’ll work with you.

I do think matted finish is unique and same goes with the wagon, but matted finish is something I wouldn’t consider because like you have mentioned, the upkeeping is not as easy as none matted finish. What kept me away was what FJ told me which is if you get a scratch lets say on the quarter panel, I was told you need to repaint the whole car.

CCB as some have mentioned are nice to have, but unless you plan on tracking the car, it is not necessary. If brake dust getting the wheels dirty fast, like 3-4 days fast is something you care about. You can consider searching this forum as there are optional aftermarket brake pads like my personal favorite, Rado pads from World Motorsports in LA are highly recommended.

I went with with white on my S63 and love it.
The following users liked this post:
CarDad (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Ford Raptor & 2016 BMW M3
You will get lots of opinions here. I switched from white on my last car to the selenite grey metallic on my e63 wagon and personally I think it looks and stays cleaner longer. Can't speak to the matte paints, but lots of people have chimed in to say how easy they are to care for. Like you, I also went back and forth over the seats, even changing my order a few times, but eventually decided to go with the performance seats and have not regretted it for one moment. Thigh and side bolsters can be adjusted in or out depending on how much support you want. I leave mine mostly out for day to day driving, but bring them in during more spirited driving. Wife and kids like them as well and they look amazing. Not off at all. In fact, I think they complemented the performance and sports car nature of the vehicle perfectly. Having said this, I can see how performance seats might be less comfortable for somebody with a larger body. I'm mid--forties with an athletic build. I also opted for the CCBs and have not regretted the choice. I fee the initial bite is harder and they look great. No brake dust is an added bonus. Admittedly, they are pricey.

Good luck figuring it out.
CarDad (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 PM

E63, C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by orenlasko
Great call on white...

You should be able to negotiate minimum if 5-8% off msrp or more. Paying over list at this stage is not something that should be done.

Regarding the seats- the performance seats have no active bolsters in them. They are the way they are. Some of said they are uncomfortable for long rides others have said not. You would have to drive one and figure it out on your own. Me personally I have the regular seats with active bolsters and they work great, even on the track.

I like the matte paint but it means it can only be hand washed.

Regarding brakes the CCB are very expensive and completely unnecessary. They do offer no dust but they cost alot.

Hope I helped.

Cheers.
Seems fair. If I don't order a car, I'll probably be okay with either seat. As for the paint, I only hand wash my cars anyways, but after doing some more reading I will probably go polar white. CCB seem a bit much for me at this point.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 PM

E63, C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by bobblehead
ceramic coating the wheels simply make it easier to wash and get the baked on brake dust off without heavy scrubbing. The coating should last about 9 months at least for most brands.

Performance seats vs standard seats - that's something you have to sit in there to experience yourself. Everyone will have their likes / dislikes.

CCB - is a bit of overkill and expensive to change/replace. Again, it is another one of those options you don't need but nice to have on a beast.

If you are shopping for the 2019, then there is a thread in this forum you can check out and pm OP for price and delivery discussion
Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM

E63, C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by tirzaman
Since you’re in no rush, I would order the car, definitely not pay over MSRP (your son’s idea about European delivery is not a bad one!). Have you tried Mercedes of South Bay (Torrance)? They seem to be willing to negotiate. Aside from the looks, I don’t care too much for the performance seats and both my wife and I found them uncomfortable during our test drive. The active bolstering is remarkable in the normal seats, makes the car feel alive! The CCB option was too expensive for my taste (and wallet!) so I can’t comment on how good it is. The matte finish is starting to grow on me although, at this time, I would still go with a normal paint and then apply coating, sealant and wax (in that order). Good luck and tell us what you decided in the end!
I've seen South Bay have some specs I like. Hopefully I can stop by there sometime. I think I'll do without the CCB. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
You can still opt in for the matte paint, then you can consider wrapping the car with ppf which a few members here have done already. This should protect the matte finish for at least 5+ yrs without any issues. The cost to wrap the whole car would be around $5 - 6K.
CarDad (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by CarDad
Hello all,

I am very **** about my cars and love keeping them as clean as possible at all times, which is why all my cars are white, because it's just easier to maintain.
Grey or white will be very easy to keep appearance neat looking. I had white for my '14 AMG wagon and can't repeat, so I'm getting the matte grey (had the regular grey delivered to me in the factory delivery, hence the wait for '19 matte).

Good luck... you will enjoy this wagon like no other!
CarDad (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
I was at FJ this Monday afternoon and bought a new SL65 from them. They had 3 in inventory to choose from. They had a large selection of other AMG's, including a nice G65 but the sales manager told me they only had one unsold E63S on the lot. He said it was a brown wagon. I did not look at it.
We custom ordered our E63S with Designo cardinal red and the Machiato interior. We have had it for 6 months, my wife loves it, its her car. The only regret I have was not ordering the Carbon Ceramic brakes. I am really tired of all the brake dust and over 75k miles the cost will be the same since the CC's should last 100k miles. I look at it as just paying up front for 3 brake replacements. One of our SL's is diamond white, the new one is polar white. They show less dirt than the Cardinal Red. The black S65 is awful, it is dirty looking after just a trip to the store and back. That will be the one and only Black car I ever own.
Our 2014 E63S was the matte Cashmere white. It required hand washing but frankly was not that hard to maintain. I found that Windex would remove all the bugs and sticky road dirt with no damage to the paint.
CarDad (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Brake dust, what's that? Mwahaaaahaaa . . .

Seriously, loving the CCBs, not only for total lack of brake dust, but for the way the car stops. Haven't driven an E63 with the standard brakes so can't compare, but I can say that the brakes on my car will really haul the car down in a hurry. Was a little worried from reports of others that they might squeal or not stop well when cold. Neither have been an issue. Car stops great when cold too. Only time that it takes a little longer to stop than usual is the first time I hit the brakes after washing the car with my foam canon and pressure washer.

I have the selenite grey magno paint and it has been super easy to take care of. I usually try to park at the edge of an island at work to eliminate one potential door nick - so far so good. But this means that I'm also parking under a tree most of the time. Bird and tree droppings come right off.

My routine is to first pressure wash the car with clean water to remove any lose dust and other stuff. Then hit it with the foam canon and let that soak for a few minutes. Next use a wash mitt and bucket of clean water to wash off the foam, then hit it again with a clean rinse from the pressure washer and then dry. I have a CR Spotless water filter and between a quick wipe down with a microfiber drying towel and the filtered water the car dries spot free.

Oh and did I mention that there's no brake dust to clean . . . ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by E634Me:
CarDad (06-22-2018), NOLA AMG (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
Originally Posted by E634Me
Brake dust, what's that? Mwahaaaahaaa . . .

Seriously, loving the CCBs, not only for total lack of brake dust, but for the way the car stops. Haven't driven an E63 with the standard brakes so can't compare, but I can say that the brakes on my car will really haul the car down in a hurry. Was a little worried from reports of others that they might squeal or not stop well when cold. Neither have been an issue. Car stops great when cold too. Only time that it takes a little longer to stop than usual is the first time I hit the brakes after washing the car with my foam canon and pressure washer.

I have the selenite grey magno paint and it has been super easy to take care of. I usually try to park at the edge of an island at work to eliminate one potential door nick - so far so good. But this means that I'm also parking under a tree most of the time. Bird and tree droppings come right off.

My routine is to first pressure wash the car with clean water to remove any lose dust and other stuff. Then hit it with the foam canon and let that soak for a few minutes. Next use a wash mitt and bucket of clean water to wash off the foam, then hit it again with a clean rinse from the pressure washer and then dry. I have a CR Spotless water filter and between a quick wipe down with a microfiber drying towel and the filtered water the car dries spot free.

Oh and did I mention that there's no brake dust to clean . . . ;-)
Guy comes to our office building every Friday charges $20 to wash/dry/vacuum with spotless windows 9K / 20 = 450 car washes.

I'm on the fence about CCB only for the fact I wonder if I lease will I get away with 36K-39K miles for 36 months without having to do a brake job. I have yet to need brakes done since leasing for 16 years 50 miles a day of highway driving. As a lease they would cost a lot less but still wondering if worth it.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:01 PM

E63, C63S Edition 1
Thanks for the replies guys. I love white cars, but that matte grey wagon had me in awe. It even had the CF interior which seems so hard to find just sitting at a dealer. I've dealt with FJ before, even the newer GM, and didn't even feel like talking to anyone because I figured I'd get some loony answers to explain their markup. You guys all make great points with the concerns I had. Can't thank you all enough!!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
I don't think many will argue that CCB are nice to have. They work fine and have other benefits that have been mentioned already such as minimal brake dust and less unsprung weight. The issue is the cost. It's been discussed before and the general consensus is that at about 100K they will likely require replacement. The cost to do that will be about 20K. The thing that I think about is the value of the car when that time comes 10 years from now? Might be considered a total loss if you have to replace the CCB. That's not considering the 9K it cost of the CCB option to begin with. Just something to consider if you plan to own the car vs lease and how long you plan to own it.
NOLA AMG (06-23-2018)