Sponsored by:

RIP 2018 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 AMGs
RIP 2018 E63

Had an early build '18 that had some electrical issues and then the CEL for misfires in 4 cylinders. After 34 days (and counting) in the shop MB is going to repurchase the vehicle. This issue is endemic to the twin turbo V8s that are in the AMG C, E, and S classes.
A word of advice to anyone who has a CEL from misfires - start looking for another car.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Sorry to hear.

Given any thought on whats your next move?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GT3RS
Sorry to hear this
Thanks for sharing the information

What mileage did the problem start to occur?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:57 PM

2018 E63 AMGs
Took a look at the new M5s. not a fan of the dash and interior layout. The dealer was also adamant on the $20K market "adjustment" add to the MSRP which i will not pay. Probably going to be a Porsche or Range Rover. The MB USA contact believed that all the 2019s E63s are going to be held at port for a significant amount of time while they are updated/worked on before they will be available for sale.
Probably my first and last MB vehicle purchase....
The following users liked this post:
s26singh (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 PM

2018 E63 AMGs
@jpmd The CEL for the misfires happened at about 4,200mi but i had electrical issues before then that they never were able to diagnose or solve.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by ExaltedPickle
Took a look at the new M5s. not a fan of the dash and interior layout. The dealer was also adamant on the $20K market "adjustment" add to the MSRP which i will not pay. Probably going to be a Porsche or Range Rover. The MB USA contact believed that all the 2019s E63s are going to be held at port for a significant amount of time while they are updated/worked on before they will be available for sale.
Around November last year there was memo from corporate telling dealers to not be surprised if their cars took 6+ weeks longer than usual due to "extended QC checks". They were told that these "may" extend all the way into May of this year...I'm guessing they might extend those even further. I know there was 60 days between when my car was assigned a VIN/began production and when it finally rolled out of the factory and onto a boat, a process that should have taken a week. They're doing the checks at the factory after they had so many problems with the first year of production.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Range Rover SVR if you're wanting something with the bark and surge of power of the E63 with the practicality of a Range. I desperately missed mine until my E Wagon came in May.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I've been cross shopping the M5's and I have not come across a market adjustment at least here in the South. I'm sure you could find a dealer that would sell for MSRP and likely a bit under with various discounts (USAA, Costco, etc.) Just FYI.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:30 PM

2018 E63 AMGs
I just cannot get past the screen tacked onto the top of the dashboard, i think it looks cheap and lazy. I am going to test drive the SVR and look at the Panamera Wagon 4s. Either way, having such a poor experience with the AMG has soured me on MB for the time being.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Carac
Around November last year there was memo from corporate telling dealers to not be surprised if their cars took 6+ weeks longer than usual due to "extended QC checks". They were told that these "may" extend all the way into May of this year...I'm guessing they might extend those even further. I know there was 60 days between when my car was assigned a VIN/began production and when it finally rolled out of the factory and onto a boat, a process that should have taken a week. They're doing the checks at the factory after they had so many problems with the first year of production.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Range Rover SVR if you're wanting something with the bark and surge of power of the E63 with the practicality of a Range. I desperately missed mine until my E Wagon came in May.
The checks from november 2017 until february 2018 were due to problems with AMG brakes.
My car was in hold-up in Germany from november to february.
I guess the hold-up might have lasted longer for some vehicles.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 e63s estate
I am in the same "pickle"

The delay in any possible replacement sucks. I drove the 4s and it was way to boring. I was also thinking the Range Rover SVR, but I currently have a F-pace R sport so that would have to go and I would have to find something new for the wife. Was also looking at the Lister LFT-666 and Lister F-Pace. Any bigger guys (6'3 + ) spend a good amount of time in the f-type?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
GT3RS
Has this engine had similar problems in other cars it’s used within the MB lineup?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by media636
I am in the same "pickle"

The delay in any possible replacement sucks. I drove the 4s and it was way to boring. I was also thinking the Range Rover SVR, but I currently have a F-pace R sport so that would have to go and I would have to find something new for the wife. Was also looking at the Lister LFT-666 and Lister F-Pace. Any bigger guys (6'3 + ) spend a good amount of time in the f-type?
I very, very seriously considered the F-type R and did a lot of research and driving of it before I plunged for an E63S. I really loved the car, beautiful design and interior, the exhaust sounds magnificent. I am a decent-size guy, 200+ and nearly 6', it was a snug fit for me and my head brushed the roof, even with seat in lowest position, you're pushing things if you're 6'3", but slimmer build might work. Ultimately though I felt that the Jags were overpriced and, they had superb looks and straight-line performance, but they didn't quite have the goods for the track.

If you look around on here you'll find the thread back from around October last year where I went through the motions.
media636 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 wag soon?, X5M, 911(s), 328d

I looked at the SVR but thought it was too slow and too small...not a whole lot faster than the RR sport it is based on. X5m otoh hit the mark better. Bmw doesn’t have the off-road chops of the SVR but frankly I’d never need that. And the SVR is smaller than an E63 inside. It is actually smaller than a BMW X3 with both rear seats up and down.
media636 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 380 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
One of the guys at work has an F-type R and we frequently park next to each other. I have to agree that the car sounds great. Even more snarl than the E63S in Sport+ mode with more over runs on deceleration.

We haven't yet managed to do any pulls so haven't yet established which car is quicker from the go. But I have to concede he wins the exhaust note.

He's about 6'1" medium build and making it work. He's been very happy with the car so far.
media636 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by arrivederci

I looked at the SVR but thought it was too slow and too small...not a whole lot faster than the RR sport it is based on.
I think it was tested doing 4.0sec 0-60. But you don't buy it because it's slightly faster than the regular RRS, you buy it for the personality which is shockingly different to a V8SC RRS. It's amazing how much different they made it feel compared to the regular model without sacrificing any of the comfort or capability. And instrument testing showed it's even louder than the F-Type SVR. They're awesome.

Originally Posted by E634Me
One of the guys at work has an F-type R and we frequently park next to each other. I have to agree that the car sounds great. Even more snarl than the E63S in Sport+ mode with more over runs on deceleration.

We haven't yet managed to do any pulls so haven't yet established which car is quicker from the go. But I have to concede he wins the exhaust note.

He's about 6'1" medium build and making it work. He's been very happy with the car so far.
The SVR I had was hilarious, if wanted to just have it crackle and pop on command you just feathered the gas pedal while coasting, engine braking, going downhill, etc. One of the most giggle inducing things you can do is set the cruise on a downhill stretch of road, and downshift to where the cruise is alternating between engine braking and giving it just a little gas to maintain the cruise speed...which would result in constant popping like a popcorn machine. It was stupid fun. I miss that car.

Last edited by Carac; 08-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Had an early build '18 that had some electrical issues and then the CEL for misfires in 4 cylinders. After 34 days (and counting) in the shop MB is going to repurchase the vehicle. This issue is endemic to the twin turbo V8s that are in the AMG C, E, and S classes.
A word of advice to anyone who has a CEL from misfires - start looking for another car.
Sorry to hear about your car. I, too, have had a lot of problems and currently my car is in the shop because they need to replace the electronic module for the steering wheel and the electronic module for the ambient lighting. Earlier I had an electrical problem with my trunk closing which triggered the alarm when the car was locked. My leather stitching gave way in the rear seat and I also had to replace the engine oil level sensor (This may have been an operator error since nobody including the dealership knew the procedure to read the oil level correctly). Think of it as a good riddance given all the problems you’ve had and be happy that Mercedes is buying your car back. I’ll be calling Mercedes soon to see what I can do about my car.

If I were you I would look into a Lexus LC 500 if you don’t mind just a two seater. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 wag soon?, X5M, 911(s), 328d
I think it was tested doing 4.0sec 0-60. But you don't buy it because it's slightly faster than the regular RRS, you buy it for the personality which is shockingly different to a V8SC RRS. It's amazing how much different they made it feel compared to the regular model without sacrificing any of the comfort or capability.

The SVR I had was hilarious, if wanted to just have it crackle and pop on command you just feathered the gas pedal while coasting, engine braking, going downhill, etc. One of the most giggle inducing things you can do is set the cruise on a downhill stretch of road, and downshift to where the cruise is alternating between engine braking and giving it just a little gas to maintain the cruise speed...which would result in constant popping like a popcorn machine. It was stupid fun. I miss that car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8vtzZ7ylBY
Didnt quote me accurately fwiw. Not sure why or how that happened.

The link you included showed 4.7 to 100kph. Sorry...that’s pretty average today. If sound is what you want, there are lots of aftermarket solutions (akroprovik) that get real loud. SVR is neat but way overrated. Personally I like a balance. My race car with open headers scares/annoys fellow competitors. For an e63 or similar, I just want a fun drive back and forth to work or the ski hill or the grocery store. Gas mileage be damned...

Then there are those here that want their e63 in the 10s in the 1/4.

Last edited by arrivederci; 08-03-2018 at 12:50 AM.
mmmamg (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 AM

2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by arrivederci

Didnt quote me accurately fwiw. Not sure why or how that happened.

Yeah, that's weird. Fixed it.

i get the whole 10 second crowd, but if what originally drew the OP to the E63 was the practically combined with the visceral nature of the engine, acceleration, etc. then there are very few alternatives. He mentioned Porsche and Range Rovers as alternatives so I gave my first-hand opinion about the Range Rover closest to an E63. Does a SVR do 0-60 in the low 3s or quarters in the 10s? No. But if he wants a Range that puts a dumb smile on your face the way a E63 can, then the SVR is a good choice. A vehicle that can rock climb, wade through 33 inches of water, and surge two and a half tons of car to 60 in ~4.3 seconds is still a blast.

Last edited by Carac; 08-03-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 e63s estate
Yeah, that's weird. Fixed it.

i get the whole 10 second crowd, but if what originally drew the OP to the E63 was the practically combined with the visceral nature of the engine, acceleration, etc. then there are very few alternatives. He mentioned Porsche and Range Rovers as alternatives so I gave my first-hand opinion about the Range Rover closest to an E63. Does a SVR do 0-60 in the low 3s or quarters in the 10s? No. But if he wants a Range that puts a dumb smile on your face the way a E63 can, then the SVR is a good choice. A vehicle that can rock climb, wade through 33 inches of water, and surge two and a half tons of car to 60 in ~4.3 seconds is still a blast.
This is exactly why I am going to go test drive one this weekend. The new models tech is nice and familiar albeit not MB tech, it is livable. Plus I found the spec I want in Florida so no waiting
Old 08-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
A markup on an M5? Maybe the sales guy sensed an immediate deal with you... These cars command zero markup and are well discounted at this point. If you can overcome some of your interior dislikes, a MY18 M5 delivers the best bang for the buck at this point. This car is not for me but the numbers are set to clear the MY18 out.
Nicely discounted plus the high residuals which dropped 10% for the MY19, at least for right now... It appears that lease deals are $1300-$1500 including tax (Bimmerpost)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I had 21 AMGs in total over the last 20 years, had serious problems with 2 cars, the rest were bulletproof.
It happens, with any brand, my brother had the worst ever experience with his Lexus 430.
You were unlucky that your first MB was with problems but do not disqualify the entire brand based on just one experience, it's like you decide to never date another Blonde girl because the one you went on a date with, was a psycho and you assume they all are.
Well, maybe a wrong example as all Blondes are, to different degrees......
NOLA AMG (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by absent
it's like you decide to never date another Blonde girl because the one you went on a date with, was a psycho and you assume they all are.
Truth
Old 08-04-2018, 04:31 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
If I may........I'd just like to say good luck to you; and I like pickles too.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 LR Disco HSE LUX, 2019 E63S, 2019 Sierra AT4
Originally Posted by absent
I had 21 AMGs in total over the last 20 years, had serious problems with 2 cars, the rest were bulletproof.
It happens, with any brand, my brother had the worst ever experience with his Lexus 430.
You were unlucky that your first MB was with problems but do not disqualify the entire brand based on just one experience, it's like you decide to never date another Blonde girl because the one you went on a date with, was a psycho and you assume they all are.
That’s almost 10% with serious problems. Does that not seem high? If 10% of my product has serious issues I’d be out of business.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by kcjonz

That’s almost 10% with serious problems. Does that not seem high? If 10% of my product has serious issues I’d be out of business.
I don't know whether it is a high percentage.
With BMWs, I had 2, one with problems so it would be 50%, a 100% in my brother's case (he says he would never, ever buy another Lexus).
My uncle owned over 15 Chevys, never any major problem with any of them, does it mean Chevrolet makes the best, most reliable cars?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP 2018 E63