Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > E55 AMG, E63 AMG, E43AMG (W210, W211, W212,W213) > W213 AMG
What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist? >

What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist?

Notices
W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017/2018
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist?

 
Old 08-29-2018, 12:03 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 907
Liked 196 Times in 146 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist?

We used the feature a lot while in Germany after our European Delivery. Followed the road really well for the most part, but was limited in high tight of a corner it could maintain. When traveling through a construction zone with some very tight spacing of lanes and a hard barrier on once side and traffic on the other it maintained the lane quite well even though I was sweating about the limited room on either side.

After return to the states, my windshield was replace by the Baltimore VPC but the camera's alignment was apparently messed up and the system was disabled. It was replaced again a couple days after my US delivery as I was driving cross country back to San Diego by a dealer in Dallas due to a rock hitting the windshield. The Dallas dealer recalibrated the system and it's been working OK. But, just doesn't seem to me to work as well as it did in Germany. The car now seems more prone to losing its way even when there are continuous lane markings or a center island on one side and lane markings on the other. It will frequently lose its way when there's a gap in lane markings such as when a turn lane opening occurs.

Yesterday while having the car serviced to fix the clunking from loose anit-sway bar end links, I asked the dealer to check out the Distronic system as it didn't seem quite as good as it had previously.

Here's the comments in the service receipt:
"Customer states when using Distronic it doesn't follow the road like it used to. Please check."
M82 NPF, See Notes
11 CP
"8415 Ran DTCs. No faults found pertaining to complaint. Test drove car. Found Distroninc keeping distance properly and active steering assist functioning properly at this time. Active steering assist is a driving aid and is not meant for autonomous driving. See page 173-175 in owners manual for information on system and system limitations."

The RTFM comment is unhelpful as I fully understand the car does not support autonomous driving, and have in fact read the manual.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but my observation is that the car still doesn't maintain lanes as well as it had prior to the windshield replacements.

E634Me is online now  
Old 08-29-2018, 01:05 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,632
Liked 147 Times in 132 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by E634Me View Post
We used the feature a lot while in Germany after our European Delivery. Followed the road really well for the most part, but was limited in high tight of a corner it could maintain. When traveling through a construction zone with some very tight spacing of lanes and a hard barrier on once side and traffic on the other it maintained the lane quite well even though I was sweating about the limited room on either side.

After return to the states, my windshield was replace by the Baltimore VPC but the camera's alignment was apparently messed up and the system was disabled. It was replaced again a couple days after my US delivery as I was driving cross country back to San Diego by a dealer in Dallas due to a rock hitting the windshield. The Dallas dealer recalibrated the system and it's been working OK. But, just doesn't seem to me to work as well as it did in Germany. The car now seems more prone to losing its way even when there are continuous lane markings or a center island on one side and lane markings on the other. It will frequently lose its way when there's a gap in lane markings such as when a turn lane opening occurs.

Yesterday while having the car serviced to fix the clunking from loose anit-sway bar end links, I asked the dealer to check out the Distronic system as it didn't seem quite as good as it had previously.

Here's the comments in the service receipt:
"Customer states when using Distronic it doesn't follow the road like it used to. Please check."
M82 NPF, See Notes
11 CP
"8415 Ran DTCs. No faults found pertaining to complaint. Test drove car. Found Distroninc keeping distance properly and active steering assist functioning properly at this time. Active steering assist is a driving aid and is not meant for autonomous driving. See page 173-175 in owners manual for information on system and system limitations."

The RTFM comment is unhelpful as I fully understand the car does not support autonomous driving, and have in fact read the manual.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but my observation is that the car still doesn't maintain lanes as well as it had prior to the windshield replacements.
Mine really does not work all that great either, you have to really watch over it. I used it some the other day coming back from CT and it does loose it's way some even when the lanes seem good which is surprising in certain situations and sometimes when lines disappear it will just head for the side of the road. Gotta be careful with it. In my 2015 S550 it's worse, the car wanders around in the lane, at night time if a cop was behind you might think you'd been drinking, at least the 2018 AMG does don't wander as much as the 2015 S550 does so they did make some progress the past 3 years with more sensors and software improvement, but they still have a ways to do, the system is still in it's infancy, it's been being used about 4 years now.
2012 merc amg is online now  
Old 08-29-2018, 06:17 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 498
Liked 56 Times in 47 Posts
2018 e63s
In my opinion

If itís used in stop and go traffic it works like a charm. Sometimes I use it while cruising on the freeway as well. Overall Iím happy with it. It delivers what was promised for the most part. Iím looking forward to the 19 which should work better in tighter corners and have the route based speed adaptation. I believe in a recent test it came out on top of its other European brethren and placed 2nd under Tesla for its driving abilities
DriveAMG is offline  
The following users liked this post: DriveAMG
E634Me (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 PM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 907
Liked 196 Times in 146 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I agree with respect to stop and go traffic, I use the heck out of it on the I-5 when traffic is heavy.

When there's another car in front the system can optionally follow it instead of the lines, so it seems to do much better.
E634Me is online now  
Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 472
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
2018 E400W4
Roads in Europe tend to be have a much better quality dividing line and that helps with the system. Does anyone notice that bellow 30 with the distronic ON the system does not asking to put hands on steering wheel ?
Wassaby is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 PM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 907
Liked 196 Times in 146 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Not sure if it is below 30 MPH or a bit under that, but yes below some threshold speed you're not prompted to put a hand on the wheel.
E634Me is online now  
Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 472
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
2018 E400W4
Originally Posted by E634Me View Post
Not sure if it is below 30 MPH or a bit under that, but yes below some threshold speed you're not prompted to put a hand on the wheel.
Have you manage to go over first 1000 miles in Europe to put some top speed?
Wassaby is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 802
Liked 106 Times in 77 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG E63S
It's pretty good. Much better than the one on the 2015 C-Class we used to have. Not as good as Tesla's. But it can hold lane well, only issue is it does go close to the edges on some corners, and so you have to keep an eye when you are close to other cars.
stealth.pilot is offline  
Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
CALBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: S.F. Bay Area, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
'18 E63S; '10 Audi R8 V10; '16 Acura RDX; '14 Acura MDX; '04 E500
Mine follows the lilnes really well. What I don't like is that the driver assist only works with the cruise control engaged. My MDX does not require use only with the cruise control.
CALBenzo is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 AM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 907
Liked 196 Times in 146 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Wassaby View Post
Have you manage to go over first 1000 miles in Europe to put some top speed?
Yes, not top speed, but moving along pretty well.

Hit about 170 MPH the last night before dropping the car off the next day to be shipped to the states.

Four people in the car and a trunk full of luggage and it was still pulling very hard when I let off.
E634Me is online now  
Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 472
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
2018 E400W4
Originally Posted by E634Me View Post



Hit about 170 MPH the last night before dropping the car off the next day to be shipped to the states.

Four people in the car and a trunk full of luggage and it was still pulling very hard when I let off.

Nice. I got in my E400 130 MPH, i would have push it to 150 if not four people and truck full of luggage.
Wassaby is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: What's your experience with Distronic Plus steering assist?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: