Sponsored by:

AMG Performance Exhaust vs Standard Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Question AMG Performance Exhaust vs Standard Exhaust

i'm still dealing with the configuration of an E63 S and now i am revisiting the issue of ordering or not the PE.

i'm not a big fan of very loud engines that attract too much attention (well, at least for that there are true sports car like Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren).
the E63 S is a tremendous car in that aspect, providing an extremely good family car and at the same time look, feel and behave sporty, classy BUT not flashy.

i find the standard AMG sport exhaust very good, one of the best in the market, without being on steroids on any minor acceleration or downshift.

and that is what it seems to do the PE. don't get me wrong. the tone and general sound is still sublime, even better, but it turns me off when it starts with all those pops and crackles that seem to me exaggerated and out of timing.
accelerating is still acceptable as the pops and crackles join the revving up sound and pitch. but the problem is every downshift or de-deceleration. i simply cannot drive it without it making at least one loud pop/crackle. WHY, oh WHY i ask?

if i take a Lambo the sound is beautiful, notwithstanding being loud, and anyone understands why it sounds like that: it looks mean, it looks flashy so it should sound like a beast. the loud sound matches the revs and pitch variation, with pops and crackles coming at the right moment and not at ANY moment "just because". the Lambo makes less crackles than the E63 S with PE! that is absurd...

i know this is a debatable subject and i believe most people like the PE. i get it if i think on those times that i may go to a car event, a race or simply on those rare times i want to simply show off. that's why i am struggling with ticking the box or not on this. i believe most of the time i will be turning off the PE and it will stay there for most of the time. on the other side, since i believe most people like this, it adds to the residual value when i sell it (yeah, i think about the future). and yeah, it is there if i want it.

because I like to know how things work and why, i've been trying to understand how this PE works. there is very lack of information and it seems that it manages the exhaust valves differently, and has different pipe dimensions and resonance chamber. so it is not a simple matter of software management.

visually how the valves work in the C63 S:

what's your take on this? like to know your thoughts.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
For alot of us this stuff is addicting- modding cars, loud exhausts, increasing horsepower, etc. Is it necessary, probably not. It depends on what makes you tick. I have the PE in the e63 and coming from a R8 V10 oufitted with an aftermarket exhaust, the Mercedes sounds like an electric car. I rarely open the valves in the city during normal driving. My next car will most likely will be an electric car. The only thing I wish the manufactures would do is to pipe in artificial exhaust sounds thru the sound system. This will help to eliminate the mind/body/sound disconnect in electric cars.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by 2020
I have the PE in the e63 and coming from a R8 V10 oufitted with an aftermarket exhaust, the Mercedes sounds like an electric car.
LOL!! Same here, and my sentiments exactly!!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
For me, the performance exhaust was a no brainer because in relation to the cost of the vehicle, it's one of the cheaper options ( $1,250 ). It's off by default, so in the event that you want to open up the mufflers, you can with the push of a button. If you don't order your car with the PE, it would likely be impossible to add later and IMO, $1,250 is cheap insurance to not regret your purchase. That and like you said, it may be considered odd to not have the PE when it's time to sell the car.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Cars without the exhaust lose a lot of value They are hard to sell
tonecas (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by BC-2
For me, the performance exhaust was a no brainer because in relation to the cost of the vehicle, it's one of the cheaper options ( $1,250 ). It's off by default, so in the event that you want to open up the mufflers, you can with the push of a button. If you don't order your car with the PE, it would likely be impossible to add later and IMO, $1,250 is cheap insurance to not regret your purchase. That and like you said, it may be considered odd to not have the PE when it's time to sell the car.
here it has increased from €1,250 to €1,500 EUR for MY19 ($1,700 USD). guess people are ordering this...

i see your point and those are part of the reasons i am in doubt in ordering this or not. if only the pops were not so loud and out of place it would be a no brainer decision to me.

but the fact that people might find odd not having the PE and the situations where i WILL like to have that exaggerated sound on demand makes me put on the opt in side.
never was fond of people that take their flashy cars on a city and use just 50 meters breach to make a big acceleration and lots of noise so that people will look. that is a situation where the child in me will like to have that sound at the push of the button just to poke the other guy...

you mentioned that it's off by default but for what i can remember it is on by default. i mean, if you move to sport/sport+ it will activate it. i like to ride in sport+ and will have to always be turning off the PE. then again, there is the individual mode where i think that can be configured...
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
I have the PE on my wagon and afaik it's quieter than the standard exhaust when you leave it in comfort and leave the valves closed and louder when you open them up and move to S, S+. The standard exhaust is somewhere between the two modes of the PE. Also, I don't think the ECU engages "the crackles" in comfort.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon

Go to 9:40

The E63 and C63 sound WAY different on their own. The E63 almost sounds V10ish, sounds "fuller" and is harder to record. The C63 (to me) sounds more hollow and artificial. You can tell in comfort it just sounds like a car with a big engine, not obnoxious.

Last edited by Carac; 09-06-2018 at 10:52 AM.
happyeds (10-15-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Carac
I have the PE on my wagon and afaik it's quieter than the standard exhaust when you leave it in comfort and leave the valves closed and louder when you open them up and move to S, S+. The standard exhaust is somewhere between the two modes of the PE. Also, I don't think the ECU engages "the crackles" in comfort.
really? that is odd and new to me. i can only talk from what i've seen in video reviews and it always look to me that the sound even in comfort mode was a bit louder. but definitely there is no great difference in this mode.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Carac
Go to 9:40

The E63 and C63 sound WAY different on their own. The E63 almost sounds V10ish, sounds "fuller" and is harder to record. The C63 (to me) sounds more hollow and artificial. You can tell in comfort it just sounds like a car with a big engine, not obnoxious.
yeah, i've seen that video. i agree the E63 S sound is better. more deeper. a real V8.

and that guy is funny. in one of the videos reviewing the E63 S the guy said he would go after anyone that order their E63 S without the PE

LOL. just check it and it is in this video
Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by tonecas
really? that is odd and new to me. i can only talk from what i've seen in video reviews and it always look to me that the sound even in comfort mode was a bit louder. but definitely there is no great difference in this mode.
The crackles only happen when ur engine is set to S+ or Race.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:48 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by izzy63
The crackles only happen when ur engine is set to S+ or Race.
I agree, the crackles are only in Sport+. For resale purposes get the PE. It is great and addictive. I love the sound in Sport+ with the valves open. Sounds way better than my SL65 or my 89 Vette without cats and aftermarket mufflers. The sound can be changed from totally quiet to outrageous. Outrageous sounds match the personality of this car perfectly.

Last edited by Vetluver; 09-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I have to say I find it entertaining that people buy a car with the acoustic comfort package (aka quiet interior package) and then complain about the lack of exhaust sound!

Common sense seems to be dying out.
The following 3 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
6G Schnell (12-01-2019), MBS E53 (12-04-2019), NewYorker555 (12-01-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I agree those crackles are stupid!

I was driving S63 Cabrio top down in the woods and the echo Sport+ and Race coming back from trees around made the ride uncomfortable! Not mentioning unnecessary stress for the wildlife.
I prefer the M157 to the M176/177 in this regard.

All 2019 AMG models in Europe now get an OPF filter and I wonder how much more muted the exhaust will be.

I'm thinking about asking Renntech to simply remove the crackles by programming the ECU somehow. There must be a way to do it.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
I agree those crackles are stupid!

I was driving S63 Cabrio top down in the woods and the echo Sport+ and Race coming back from trees around made the ride uncomfortable! Not mentioning unnecessary stress for the wildlife.
I prefer the M157 to the M176/177 in this regard.

All 2019 AMG models in Europe now get an OPF filter and I wonder how much more muted the exhaust will be.

I'm thinking about asking Renntech to simply remove the crackles by programming the ECU somehow. There must be a way to do it.
There is a simple solution: get electric car, no crackles and disturbances!

Should be easier than trying to change the ecosystem....
kinglenario (12-07-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
There is a simple solution: get electric car, no crackles and disturbances!

Should be easier than trying to change the ecosystem....
Or ride a bicycle.

The M156 and M157 have a beautiful deep V8 sound. M177 fake crackles - the same Škoda Octavia RS has. If you like it so much, you can always get a Škoda. Maybe AMG wants to attract all kinds of buyers nowadays.
kinglenario (12-07-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Or ride a bicycle.

The M156 and M157 have a beautiful deep V8 sound. M177 fake crackles - the same Škoda Octavia RS has. If you like it so much, you can always get a Škoda. Maybe AMG wants to attract all kinds of buyers nowadays.
Well said, my friend!
Love riding my bike and listen to the birds singing, deer jumping around, rabbits..... coyote and a snake once in a while.

However, when on the Autobahn my preference is V8.

What Atobahn are you driving in Škoda?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Well said, my friend!
Love riding my bike and listen to the birds singing, deer jumping around, rabbits..... coyote and a snake once in a while.

However, when on the Autobahn my preference is V8.

What Atobahn are you driving in Škoda?
I doubt you have ever driven on an Autobahn.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
I doubt you have ever driven on an Autobahn.
Well, my friend, looks like you have a bad day today. Wrong guess again.

Believe it or not, made over 6k miles just in the past year driving from Böblingen to Austria, so that was Autobahn A8 most of the time and some A99 and A92.

Which is your favorite Autobahn?
Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Well, my friend, looks like you have a bad day today. Wrong guess again.

Believe it or not, made over 6k miles just in the past year driving from Böblingen to Austria, so that was Autobahn A8 most of the time and some A99 and A92.

Which is your favorite Autobahn?
The last thing you hear on the Autobahn is pops and crackles so what you are saying makes no real sense. Again, you are missing the point. If you wish and more people are like you, AMG can include a mode called "a Turkish teenager living in Germany who have just bought his first 5th hand AMG" or "Skoda Octavia racing" that will sound like a popcorn machine. For the rest of real men who grew up driving AMGs, a proper V8 (similar to the 6.2 or 5.5) sound will be enough.

Anyway, I prefer the A5 from Karlsruhe to Freiburg - which is my favourite (and the warmest, with most sunshine) city in Germany. The old road 500 is by far my most favourite so I'd rather take that from Baden-Baden for example to Freiburg.

By the way, V12 is my favourite for Autobahn runs.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Exclamation

The last thing you hear on the Autobahn is pops and crackles so what you are saying makes no real sense. Again, you are missing the point. If you wish and more people are like you, AMG can include a mode called "a Turkish teenager living in Germany who have just bought his first 5th hand AMG" or "Skoda Octavia racing" that will sound like a popcorn machine. For the rest of real men who grew up driving AMGs, a proper V8 (similar to the 6.2 or 5.5) sound will be enough.

Anyway, I prefer the A5 from Karlsruhe to Freiburg - which is my favourite (and the warmest, with most sunshine) city in Germany. The old road 500 is by far my most favourite so I'd rather take that from Baden-Baden for example to Freiburg.

By the way, V12 is my favourite for Autobahn runs.
Wow, this is getting too far!

Sorry to disappoint you, but am not engaging in discriminatory harassment.

My simple advice is: Feel free to enjoy what you have jan (while you have it) and don't attack others because of their preferences!
The following 2 users liked this post by 6G Schnell:
Dunga (12-06-2019), ronin amg (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Wow, this is getting too far!

Sorry to disappoint you, but am not engaging in discriminatory harassment.

My simple advice is: Feel free to enjoy what you have jan (while you have it) and don't attack others because of their preferences!
I don't know where you get the need to offer "simple" advices all the time (such as now and the one where you "offer" me to drive an electric car instead) but they are unsolicited and if you don't understand, we don't need them here.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Does opening the valve produce less restriction and improved performance?
Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
"unnecessary stress for the wildlife."

Some things are not even worth responding ............ shhhhhhhhhhhh
The following 3 users liked this post by Clk63blkseries:
6G Schnell (12-04-2019), Dunga (12-06-2019), kinglenario (12-07-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Performance Exhaust vs Standard Exhaust