Sponsored by:

Race mode questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Race mode questions

Just figured out the best mode for spirited driving is in Race mode. Seems that it provides the least amount of turbo lag when initially punching the accelerator. Two questions: 1. When in Race mode the Digital speed reading in the center of the gauges dissappears, it defaults to a list of all the modes available. Is there any way to keep the digital speed? I have a stretch of road that I sometimes let loose on and at high speeds it is hard for me to tell how fast I am going with a quick glance at the analog speedometer gauge on the left. Also in Race mode is the traction control disengaged?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Also, was curious in race mode does it shift automatically or must you use the paddle shifters to do it manually?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by Amg63-
Also, was curious in race mode does it shift automatically or must you use the paddle shifters to do it manually?
Race mode is, based on my limited use of it, manual shift only regardless of what the button says.
I've not felt any difference in engine response between Sport+ and Race Mode but I do have a PedalBox which helps eliminate any lag.
The following users liked this post:
Amg63- (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by limeypride
Race mode is, based on my limited use of it, manual shift only regardless of what the button says.
I've not felt any difference in engine response between Sport+ and Race Mode but I do have a PedalBox which helps eliminate any lag.
Ya i have one too. I have the pedal box adjusted so that its still smooth in S mode, but in S+ it makes the car a little jerky, but i like this for racing as it literally has no lag at all.

I do wonder though, if making it very sensitive on the throttle in S+ is bad for the car at all?

Its on sport mode (orange color) with a -2 setting for now.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Using the Progressive display the digital display of speed still shows up on both the display screen and the HUD when in Race mode.

In Race mode, traction control goes to Sport Handling mode. This pops a message on the left side of the left display when using the Progressive display layout. It will stay up there till acknowledge by a click on the left control button. It also displays a yellow message on the dash. Sport Handling mode is a lighter touch traction control than the regular mode and will allow more wheel spin and will also allow the rear of the car to step out more before the car brings it back in control by feeding more power to the fronts.

Don't recall about upshifts as I generally have used the paddles when in race mode, but I think it will eventually upshift. If definitely downshifts on its own.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Race mode

Originally Posted by E634Me
Using the Progressive display the digital display of speed still shows up on both the display screen and the HUD when in Race mode.

In Race mode, traction control goes to Sport Handling mode. This pops a message on the left side of the left display when using the Progressive display layout. It will stay up there till acknowledge by a click on the left control button. It also displays a yellow message on the dash. Sport Handling mode is a lighter touch traction control than the regular mode and will allow more wheel spin and will also allow the rear of the car to step out more before the car brings it back in control by feeding more power to the fronts.

Don't recall about upshifts as I generally have used the paddles when in race mode, but I think it will eventually upshift. If definitely downshifts on its own.
will definitely upshift for you on its own but it will be at or very near redline in each gear.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by C’est 063

will definitely upshift for you on its own but it will be at or very near redline in each gear.
isnt that a good thing if you want fastest acceleration? Or ideally should it have different shift points?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Yes if your driving real fast as it will keep the engine in it's maximum power band at the higher rpm levels. This engine seems to love to rev.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
So if I read you guys right Race mode is Traction control "light".? I'm also assuming it is still 4 wheel drive and not rear wheel only? It also appears that the exhaust is slightly louder in Race mode, this also be that the revs are much higher?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by 2020
So if I read you guys right Race mode is Traction control "light".? I'm also assuming it is still 4 wheel drive and not rear wheel only? It also appears that the exhaust is slightly louder in Race mode, this also be that the revs are much higher?
Yes, traction control, light, AWD on of course, only time thats off is in Drift mode and exhaust popping is loud because its holding the gears and slowing down at higher revs causing the exhaust fire crackers.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Confirmed on the drive to work that upshifts in Race mode are still automatic unless the manual gearshift mode is selected.

Not much difference in exhaust note between Sport+ and Race mode. Volume is the same but Race mode may have a few more crackles. The most obvious change is between Sport and Sport+. In Sport+ or Race mode the exhaust gets a much more pronounced snarl and snap crackle pop over Comfort or Sport mode - even with the exhaust valve open.