AMG E53 First Impressions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E53 AMG
Soft Close

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan
I also have both the acoustic comfort package and the AMG exhaust. Perhaps not one of my better moves but my wife appreciates it!
On the other hand I do love the soft close doors and HUD.
Agree, the soft close doors are really nice, wish I had that option. How does your HUD with polarized sun glasses?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by chasesunny
I finally made the switch after 15+ years with Audi. Have had a lot of them and have always loved them. That said the new gen A6/7 did not impress me and I did not want to wait any longer for the S series. So I test drove the RS5 coupe (while waiting for release of the Sportsback). Amazing drive, but could justify it only if I tracked it a lot. Being honest to myself, I would probably use my old ragged Mini more for that (so I can break, fix, add, remove stuff as I progressed). Thats when I test drove the E's. Liked them!!. To me (and not to offend the die hards), they were a perfect blend between the comfort of the Audi and the sportiness of the BMWs. Choice boiled down to 450 vs E53. Then I saw the CLS and got even more confused (sexy looks matter too ). Finally settled on the E53 AMG Sedan, just got it yesterday and so far so good. Love my DINAMICA steering wheel. Have'nt pushed the car hard yet. I like the handling and cornering in the slow speeds I tested. The me app is interesting. Lots of free services for your data/ privacy.
I got an Osbidian Black, Black with Red NAPPA leather. Packages include parking assist, LED, sun protection, AMG exhaust, illuminated sills/ logo and probably a couple of small other ones.
Interesting part was that of the 15 odd released for DFW, most were accounted for.. and one was interesting as it had both the AMG exhaust and acoustic packages .

We'll see what MB life feels like. Lots of learning to do. Open to any and all suggestions.
How does the AMG performance exhaust sound? Any clips?
Old 12-15-2018, 03:53 PM

E53 AMG
I haven't really played much with the exhaust settings yet, only the loudest . The roar is good, though you know whats real and whats staged. Will record when I figure out the settings and upload.

Question for the scholars -

a. Dealer told me I need the 2K break in differential service. True?
b. Anyone know if the new MBUX system will be available as an update to the current COMAND system. MB just released the MBUX in the A series in Europe.. i think!

Last edited by chasesunny; 12-15-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: English
Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E53, 2017 Macan GTS and 2018 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by chasesunny
Agree, the soft close doors are really nice, wish I had that option. How does your HUD with polarized sun glasses?
No real issues although it does seem to fade a bit with sunglasses on.. It seems to be a much crisper display overall than BMW albeit with less info.
The following users liked this post:
chasesunny (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
No update, MBUX is a different system. Yes diff break in is important, change the gear oil at 2K miles.
chasesunny (12-15-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Is the E53 engine not made by one tech? It doesn't have the name plate.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope it's a mass produced engine in the E53 AMG kinda like the E43 AMG was. I think the 63 series amg is the only one that is hand built by a single tech.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Need to spend more time with the car. Drove it for about 5 mins to drop it off at the tire and paint protection shop.

Off the line, the first 60ft, not many AMG's will be able to keep up. It's a hard launch right off the line with the electric motor. It's no Tesla levels of acceleration off the line, probably more in line with the base Tesla models. Transition to full engine power is seamless. Just pulls evenly to the next shift. The sound with the performance exhaust is terrific.

Coming out of corners, the EQ boost isn't nearly as noticeable as off the line, it's just zero lag. My only complaint is unless you're in full sport+ mode, shifts are kinda slow. Even in sport+ mode, it hunts for gears, and there's a bit of lag there from changing gears. M mode is much more pleasant to be in, oddly enough. More predictable, and better feel for the EQ boost.

It's winter right now, haven't had a chance to really test handling. That'll be a few months away.

Last edited by rage2; 12-17-2018 at 04:02 PM.
RMRDallas (12-17-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:16 PM

E53 AMG
The E53 sedan - impressions

TL;DR:
Really liking it so far. If I had the option I would've added some features and prolly removed some.
Awesome sporty drive for a big car! My ref for this review is Audi which I have driven many of, for a decade and half.
Could I have gone with a E450 with tune... I think so... but that dome... and the feeling of a poor man's version of an AMG!!!

Driving Impressions:
So I drove around 80-90 mi this Sun. Did not push the car over 4000rpm, but tried Comfort, Sport and Sport+. The car drives firm. Very sporty feeling, but as the roads get rough, boy do you feel it.
I do not find much difference, yet, between C and S modes. I can feel the immediate response in S, S+ but I am not pushing it yet. The one thing that amazed me was the smoothness of power the car gave me in S+. Prolly the battery.
I tired driving with raising the suspension, but cant find a need to do it. Its Dallas!
Braking is fantastic. In fact on a stop light, if you press on the brakes hard, the car holds the brakes while you take your feet off... Cool!
Engine does not rev too high, as expected.
The steering feel is the real deal for me. Softer than a BMW, but gives me a significantly better road feel than an Audi. I absolutely love the Dinamica steering. The pictures showed a red stripe on the steering with the suede option, but I guess that's only for the rich, the E63s
That exhaust package - It has a sweet growl. It comes on automatically in S+ mode or I press the button... which I do . Time will tell if this is a novelty that will wear off, because I most likely will use S mode and not S+ for daily driving, to avoid all that extra road feel.

Interior:
Elegant, comfortable, sporty, sexy and more! You belong here. This is why you work hard (or get lucky!!). Enjoying compliments on the black w/ red with a natural black ash trim. Oozes oomph!!
Now the 2 car seats in the back... I don't look when I don't need to
That said, I am yet to like the COMAND system. If you know what BMW and the new Audi offers, this is behind. Too many clicks to get to simple items.
I would've liked the acoustic package, coz this car is noisy (note that I come from an Audi). Phone calls are not fun, esp. conference calls when everyone can figure out that this sucker has sneaked away

Other factors to consider:
* My insurance did not increase at all - $8/mo more. ye haw!!! (last car was an older A6).
* Per the published MB service intervals, I don't see a break in rear diff fluid replacement at 2k miles. Only see it for E63.
* I read the privacy policy for Mercedes Me. Hopefully in good hands, coz I am giving away a lot. Add Android Auto to that and I give away everything. Companies like Climacell exist on this type of data (to be clear though.. they are not invading my privacy, just aggregating car weather related data)
Immediate/ Future Projects:
a. Car Tint - Huper Optik
b. Vinyl - Carbon fiber for front splitter, side mirrors, rear valance. Matte black or brownish for front stripe, side stripe. Osbidian black for door handles to match body.
c. Need to figure out retrofitting for rear seat entertainment.
The following 2 users liked this post by chasesunny:
bobblehead (12-19-2018), RMRDallas (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
My coupe with the AMG Drivers package was optioned with the dinamica steering wheel with the red stripe. I’m driving mine pretty hard, it’s a really solid car, great mix of sporty handling, luxury and comfort. Launching off the line, the EQ boost does a great job of jumping off the line without resorting to race start clutch drop. Tight suspension, no lag, it’s an awesome car to throw around corners. ESP off, got the car to oversteer with ease. Got mine winterized today with 19” winter wheels and tires.

bobblehead (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Originally Posted by rage2
My coupe with the AMG Drivers package was optioned with the dinamica steering wheel with the red stripe. I’m driving mine pretty hard, it’s a really solid car, great mix of sporty handling, luxury and comfort. Launching off the line, the EQ boost does a great job of jumping off the line without resorting to race start clutch drop. Tight suspension, no lag, it’s an awesome car to throw around corners. ESP off, got the car to oversteer with ease. Got mine winterized today with 19” winter wheels and tires.

Damn that looks good!
The following 2 users liked this post by stephos:
chasesunny (12-19-2018), Fountain35 (09-21-2020)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Soooooooooo im intrigued only because I want a coupe and there is no 63 coupe in the E iteration (I already had the C63S) stateside. I recently sold my E63S and have the F90 M5 for ripping and crushing. Pardon my ignorance here since Im not well versed in the 53 details but can we tune these cars? Or does the electronic components cause interference?

I am just looking for a nice cruiser but I do want some power thats remotely close to my other cars when necessary. I dont need it to be the same as clearly hp/tq dont make a car but they do help (my Porsche GTS with stock 450hp is proof of a great fast car without even surpassing 500 hp like my other cars). Driving dynamics do have a huge impact; I guess I need to get out and test one.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Vic55
Soooooooooo im intrigued only because I want a coupe and there is no 63 coupe in the E iteration (I already had the C63S) stateside. I recently sold my E63S and have the F90 M5 for ripping and crushing. Pardon my ignorance here since Im not well versed in the 53 details but can we tune these cars? Or does the electronic components cause interference?

I am just looking for a nice cruiser but I do want some power thats remotely close to my other cars when necessary. I dont need it to be the same as clearly hp/tq dont make a car but they do help (my Porsche GTS with stock 450hp is proof of a great fast car without even surpassing 500 hp like my other cars). Driving dynamics do have a huge impact; I guess I need to get out and test one.
There is no tune for the car yet, but I wouldn't see why they couldn't tune it. From my understanding the EQ boost setup only works at lower rpms to torque fill the turbo lag gaps, with the electric motor boosting to around 3000rpm and the electric turbo boosting up to 4000rpm. Power up top should be unaffected. Time will tell.

I think we have the same wants in our cars based on our car history, I also wanted a E63 Coupe and ended with this after reading about the hybrid setup. This isn't going to be a track beast as it's not 63 powerful once you get going, but for a rip around the city and drive like an *** car, it's perfect. The lack of any lag, and the boost off the line makes it feel more drivable than the 4.0L V8 TT. I'm at a high elevation (3700ft) so I'm more affected by turbo lag than you might be, but you're right it's all about driving dynamics, and the E53 Coupe is up there in terms of driving feel. I had ESP off last night and easily pitched the car sideways and held it through the corner. The big thing is that it's the best balance of sportiness and luxury in a single package that I've owned. Kind of blew away my expectations. My only complaint is that even in S+ mode, the transmission still wants to upshift more than I prefer, and the downshifts aren't as fast as the 63's. I drive mostly in M so that's not a huge problem. It would be nice to have the transmission know exactly what gear it wants to be like the Porsche PDKs, that's my only complaint about the car so far.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by rage2
There is no tune for the car yet, but I wouldn't see why they couldn't tune it. From my understanding the EQ boost setup only works at lower rpms to torque fill the turbo lag gaps, with the electric motor boosting to around 3000rpm and the electric turbo boosting up to 4000rpm. Power up top should be unaffected. Time will tell.

I think we have the same wants in our cars based on our car history, I also wanted a E63 Coupe and ended with this after reading about the hybrid setup. This isn't going to be a track beast as it's not 63 powerful once you get going, but for a rip around the city and drive like an *** car, it's perfect. The lack of any lag, and the boost off the line makes it feel more drivable than the 4.0L V8 TT. I'm at a high elevation (3700ft) so I'm more affected by turbo lag than you might be, but you're right it's all about driving dynamics, and the E53 Coupe is up there in terms of driving feel. I had ESP off last night and easily pitched the car sideways and held it through the corner. The big thing is that it's the best balance of sportiness and luxury in a single package that I've owned. Kind of blew away my expectations. My only complaint is that even in S+ mode, the transmission still wants to upshift more than I prefer, and the downshifts aren't as fast as the 63's. I drive mostly in M so that's not a huge problem. It would be nice to have the transmission know exactly what gear it wants to be like the Porsche PDKs, that's my only complaint about the car so far.
Thanks for this, Ill go test one out--- I only fear I might want more power up top than it can provide as the electrics die out. I even have that issue with my new Acura NSX and that car still has 500 hp with just the motors. The NSX tends to flatten out after 120 with the electrics shutting down. But I have to also set my expectations to the car Im considering and not match it up. Ill test drive it and report back as it looks brilliant (a drop and tune with some spacers and call it a day- if a tune comes).
Old 12-19-2018, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Cool, lemme know your thoughts. I've driven the CLS53 and it sucks *** in terms of handling, so I'm not sure how the E53 sedan compares to the coupe, so make sure you find a coupe to **** around with.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I'm currently trying to get out of my 18 M550i. It has been a nightmare for recalls, problems, tires, and getting it serviced to get these problems fixed. I test drove the E53 sedan today and was not impressed with its performance. The M550i will kill it in straight line performance and it sounds (even with the enhanced engine noise) so much better with its V8 (MB has missed this performance area). But the E53 looks so much better on the interior. But for the price, with real leather and a V8, the M550i appears to be a better buy. That is until you have to live with it. That's another reason we want back into an MB. The MB is just so much more refined. From the better turning radius when trying to park to where the seat adjustments are located in the MB. The M550i is....H...E.....double hockey sticks in a straight line!! But that's all it has to offer. Go with the MB.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 12-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
BMW 740i
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I don't really get anyone getting one of these cars? Why not a E450 and do a tune on it? The E53 weighs a lot more and it's not like it's great on gas or anything. The twin turbo V6 in the E450 is a proven design great on gas and with a tune will be putting out more horsepower than that of the E53.
Maybe others feel the same as you, but I cant disagree more. The E53AMG is a totally different ride than the E450. Its spectacular. The E450 drives like an awesome MB. the E53AMG drives like a Beemer with the beauty and grace of a Benz. And the gas mileage is great, I has my electronics telling me 22.8 after 420 miles. The E450 can be great but then you gotta go tune it up and get teh AWD and Air suspension, and then you are about the same price as an E53AMG, but you still dont get the AMG interiors or wheels or styling. Good for you to tune your E450 and enjoy it. I prefer the AMG ride much more.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both are nice cars. It just depends on the type of driving you do. One thing I’m convinced of is the e53 amg would be a better car in high altitudes. Turbos tend not to work as well in places like Denver and with the e53 you got the electric motor push. For me the e450 works better plus I like rwd better than awd. For others the e53 would work better.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLC43,E500
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan
The nav stinks. It doesn't list the traffic on your route nor does it provide a route list. My C had both of those features and I miss them.
I'm late to the thread, having only recently become aware of and interested in the new I6 and EQ technology in the new AMG 53's, so thanks for your great review.

Really sad to hear about the lack of traffic on the nav, surely a pet peeve!

If possible, please update the thread with your additional impressions since December?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From what I understand they got rid of a lot the written features on the nav due to distracted driving.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E53, 2017 Macan GTS and 2018 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by v12driven
I'm late to the thread, having only recently become aware of and interested in the new I6 and EQ technology in the new AMG 53's, so thanks for your great review.

Really sad to hear about the lack of traffic on the nav, surely a pet peeve!

If possible, please update the thread with your additional impressions since December?
The car has met (not exceeded) my expectations and has been a pleasure to drive although I find myself regretting not getting the M5. The performance is there but it's muted. The car is a bit to quiet and smooth for my liking. I think it errs too much on the luxury side of the equation.
I have been most impressed by the handling. Definitely seems to handle much better than the BMW M550i. The lack of nav features are a pain. I can use waze but I lose the use of the HUD.
If one is buying, I would step up and get a an E63s as the lease's on AMG MB's stink right now. If you are leasing like I did, I would get an M5 non comp for pretty much the same cost.

On an aside I have also had to replace the 2 front tires b/c of bubbles. I did swap out the summer OEM tires for Michelin Pilot A/S 3+'s so that is probably unique to my tire choice.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus LC500
Originally Posted by Germancar1
An E450 tune will just make it a faster E450. The E53 has better brakes, handling and looks to start.

M
Picked up my E53 last week and have about 500 miles on it mostly Freeway. my initial impressions: it replaces the second S7 . It feels lighter with very little turbo lag . Will not do full throttle until a couple hundred more miles . I also use my LC 500 as a comparison as it’s a heavy GT with less seat room . The tech in the car is terrific with the best voice command system I have experienced . Only problem with so far is the Distronic “suspends” occasionally suddenly. Once with someone coming very close behind when I dropped from 80 to 65 . That’s a problem I don’t have with my other cars . The base Burmester stereo is as good as my Mark Levinson in the Lexus. Overall the build quality and materials compared to the LC is more like Ford or Chevy. Step in the Lexus and you smell leather. The Mercedes , a combo of a lot of stuff . The LC was about 5k more . The LC is much more fun to drive . Incredible brakes. Bangs shifts as fast as a Ferrari and has a sound no other car can match. . The most comfort seats I have ever experienced. But I got want I wanted. Two extra full size seats with luggage space and some great tech ..
Germancar1 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Now that there are some forum members out there with these cars (coupes/sedans) can some of you chime in on your realword MPG / driving range? what are you gettng and what are your driving habits (city/hwy/etc)

Thanks !

Aceman
Old 05-08-2019, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
I’m averaging 8-9L/100km in my work commutes. That’s 26-29mpg. I can get as low as 6.7L/100km one way if I don’t hit any red lights, which is 35mpg. I feel like I never fill up anymore coming from the 6.2L V8. Add a bunch of spirited driving when not commuting, I don’t fill up till about 700km or around 440 miles. Commute in eco mode with all the self driving crap, relax, and engine shuts off quite a bit on the downhills. Flip to S+ when there’s no traffic and have some fun.

When I broke in the car I ran it hard in S+ mode for the first 1000 miles, and fuel economy was way worse. 400km on a tank.

Last edited by rage2; 05-08-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Drive this morning. No red lights, didn’t touch the brakes until I got into our building to park.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG E53 First Impressions?