Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG E53 First Impressions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus LC500
Update: I now have 1k on my E53. I live in the country during the summer. After warm up I can do full throttle from my garage for a half mile. A friend just drove the car with the exhaust on while I watched and it truly sounds awesome! Different from my v8's but just as good if not better. Can hear it a mile away. I race it every day but have not done corners yet which I will do of course. Virtually no turbo lag which I find hard to believe. Quicker off the line than my non Turbo cars but not my 600hp supercharged Jag. of course. Shifts in Sport Plus are not as fast as my LC but what is? Ride is a little stiff even in Comfort so I might replace the run flats. I needed one car with a back seat with the capability of long distance touring and it satisfies that need though it's only better than the LC because of the massaging seats and the extra space. The engine and drivetrain is excellent! An excellent Sedan. Very familiar with BMW's and it's better, considering styling, reliability, ride, mpg's, etc. They are all different and none are perfect.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 AM

2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
I will be getting an E53 Convertible toward the end of the year. Trading my E63 on it. Already contacted Brabus and RennTECH for upgrades, of which they don't have much yet.
The following users liked this post:
edwinmartinez (08-20-2020)
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Nope it's a mass produced engine in the E53 AMG kinda like the E43 AMG was. I think the 63 series amg is the only one that is hand built by a single tech.
Correct... only 63's are hand built as "One Man, One Engine".
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Lexus LC500
I have been watching Renntech and Brabus also. Please report if you get any info. on upgrades for the E53
Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by cmginc
Correct... only 63's are hand built as "One Man, One Engine".
Pretty sure the new m139 2.0L motor is handbuilt.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
Originally Posted by shoe3k
Pretty sure the new m139 2.0L motor is handbuilt.
I am referencing existing offerings... yes, the upcoming engine in the 2020 model follows this philosophy.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
e 53 amg coupe
a 450 tune wont have steering brakes suspsension tuned by amg...drive th e53 in sports plus hard and you'll see why its quite differnt to the 450...
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM

e 53 amg coupe
hand built or hand inspected....I think youll find nowerdays with their volume its the latter and has been for a while...so all you my engines been hand built by a german super engineer......may be reading more into hand built than is actually the reality..
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 AM

e 53 amg coupe
if you write to brabus and enquire it helps thei rinegineers push for sertain upgrade3s...i too am trying to buld the case for the e563...one company seem sot have sdoen somehting i sent the clip to brabus...why not do the same,. more pressure from customers the better right?
here's the guy at brabus to lobby....Markus.Eisele@brabus.com

The boost to 500 hp and th eimproved through gear accelration they show would make the car pretty much perfect imho...

cheers
Jerry
shekmark (12-06-2021)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 AM

e 53 amg coupe
loving the wheels
Old 07-17-2019, 07:45 AM

e 53 amg coupe
i love this car to drive in all situaions rain shine, hot cold hasnt missed a beat so far or made me think i need ot worry about saftey or fact car really wants to kill me - thi sis what i felt like in c63s....heres aguy saying e53 would replace his 550i and why good review
TorElements (12-22-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes e53 amg
Buying an E53 sedan

I’m planning on buying the e53 sedan and I live in nyc where I drive atleast 100miles a day in stop and go traffic. What are your long term thoughts on owning this vehicle since it will be my daily driver. Have you also got the tune because I did reach out to renntech and eurocharge and they both have tunes available for the car.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:40 PM

e 53 amg coupe
Originally Posted by edwinmartinez
I’m planning on buying the e53 sedan and I live in nyc where I drive atleast 100miles a day in stop and go traffic. What are your long term thoughts on owning this vehicle since it will be my daily driver. Have you also got the tune because I did reach out to renntech and eurocharge and they both have tunes available for the car.
I bought the coupe. Love it drive regularly in traffic the assisted driving is well worth experimenting with really releases the strain of stop start. Drove from uk to Switzerland and back with three- very easy on autobahn and mountain roads but genuine cruiser when not heating up the tyres excessively. Person in back less happy with journey than one in front, it’s a cohoe after all.Very useable in all weather. Awesome cruiser, firm ride. Sports plus for me is great gt, not sports car. I’m looking at brabus tune, I spoke to a former c63s driver who bought the e53 likes it but wanted more aggressive power application like his old car. He says the tune delivered really well on this front he feels extra power and more aggressive application. Clearly brabus is only one where warranty remains in tact
Old 03-29-2021, 06:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 E53 | 992 C2 | G20 330i
Originally Posted by My Google
hand built or hand inspected....I think youll find nowerdays with their volume its the latter and has been for a while...so all you my engines been hand built by a german super engineer......may be reading more into hand built than is actually the reality..
Resurrecting an old thread here BUT "real" AMG engines are actually REALLY hand built by one man. I toured Affalterbach back in 2016. The first floor has these automated trolleys that bring parts around to each engineer's station and all the V8's are built there. The 2nd floor is where the M139 is built but I'm sure it's the same. And yes, the guy/girl who signs your engine are all actual engineers, albeit, not all are ethnically German

Also, it is true that AMG's have been selling like hot cakes so MB decided to set up a special hand built line at their Badd Canstatt plant to handle the additional capacity since it's being under utilized with the release of the modular engines including the M256 that is built down the street at the Unterturkheim main plan on the same line as the M254. Regardless, the "real" AMG engines are still hand built by one engineer.

Last edited by r3dbenz89; 03-29-2021 at 06:56 PM.
TorElements (12-19-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Are they really engineers or well trained technicians?

Do they have engineering degrees or have they been board certified. I'm a licensed professional engineer, which in the U.S. requires a four year ABET engineering degree or equivalent, an 8 hour fundamentals of engineering exam (the EIT exam) four years of design experience, and then another 8 hour exam (P.E. exam). In Canada the P.eng process is similar and likewise internationally most countries have similar certification boards.

Most engineers don't go on to become licensed after they get the engineering degrees because in many fields it simply isn't required. Mainly licensing is required whenever public safety is involved or if you're offering engineering services for hire or as a consultant.

That said, it seems way overkill to have engineers working on an automotive assembly line building an engine. Maybe they're calling them engineers because they assembling an engine and the word engine is involved? But I think they're really just technicians.

This is not intended in any way to say the folks that assemble the engines are not very well trained and skilled workers. While I didn't get a chance to do the AMG factory tour I did do the factory tour in Sindelfingen and heard the discussion on how much training goes in to the folks who work there. Much higher level of training and commitment to quality than we had here in the US in Detroit in the '70s.
lkfoster (12-06-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 E53 | 992 C2 | G20 330i
Originally Posted by E634Me
Are they really engineers or well trained technicians?

Do they have engineering degrees or have they been board certified. I'm a licensed professional engineer, which in the U.S. requires a four year ABET engineering degree or equivalent, an 8 hour fundamentals of engineering exam (the EIT exam) four years of design experience, and then another 8 hour exam (P.E. exam). In Canada the P.eng process is similar and likewise internationally most countries have similar certification boards.

Most engineers don't go on to become licensed after they get the engineering degrees because in many fields it simply isn't required. Mainly licensing is required whenever public safety is involved or if you're offering engineering services for hire or as a consultant.

That said, it seems way overkill to have engineers working on an automotive assembly line building an engine. Maybe they're calling them engineers because they assembling an engine and the word engine is involved? But I think they're really just technicians.

This is not intended in any way to say the folks that assemble the engines are not very well trained and skilled workers. While I didn't get a chance to do the AMG factory tour I did do the factory tour in Sindelfingen and heard the discussion on how much training goes in to the folks who work there. Much higher level of training and commitment to quality than we had here in the US in Detroit in the '70s.
Can't say for sure on the education background of the technicians but our tour guide referred to them as engineers and mentioned it takes at least four years worth of training before one can be an engine assembler. I too toured Sindelfingen and the differences are night and day. Mass production and thousands of workers are Sindelfingen. Affalterbach is dramatically smaller with a few people on the floor. One technician builds two engines a day per shift. Affalterbach felt very intimate and special. Sindelfingen was the complete opposite. Porsche in Zuffenhausen falls somewhere between, though I haven't been to Zuffenhausen in a few years and the last time was before the new Taycan hall was completed. Lamborghini in Sant'Agata is somewhere between Zuffenhausen and Affalterbach.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by rage2
There is no tune for the car yet, but I wouldn't see why they couldn't tune it. From my understanding the EQ boost setup only works at lower rpms to torque fill the turbo lag gaps, with the electric motor boosting to around 3000rpm and the electric turbo boosting up to 4000rpm. Power up top should be unaffected. Time will tell.

I think we have the same wants in our cars based on our car history, I also wanted a E63 Coupe and ended with this after reading about the hybrid setup. This isn't going to be a track beast as it's not 63 powerful once you get going, but for a rip around the city and drive like an *** car, it's perfect. The lack of any lag, and the boost off the line makes it feel more drivable than the 4.0L V8 TT. I'm at a high elevation (3700ft) so I'm more affected by turbo lag than you might be, but you're right it's all about driving dynamics, and the E53 Coupe is up there in terms of driving feel. I had ESP off last night and easily pitched the car sideways and held it through the corner. The big thing is that it's the best balance of sportiness and luxury in a single package that I've owned. Kind of blew away my expectations. My only complaint is that even in S+ mode, the transmission still wants to upshift more than I prefer, and the downshifts aren't as fast as the 63's. I drive mostly in M so that's not a huge problem. It would be nice to have the transmission know exactly what gear it wants to be like the Porsche PDKs, that's my only complaint about the car so far.
This is my only complaint, and it’s a small one. I do love the car. It up shifts so soon that it’s in 4th or 5th and I am only doing 25 mph and I’m at 1200 rpm! I assume this is a move to improve fuel economy ratings, but I find it annoying. I am still new to my 2019 pre owned , so I am exploring how it works in S AND S+ , but I don’t think it’s much different unless you are getting on it which isn’t so easy where I live. I find myself playing with the paddle shifters constantly.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,881 Posts
PFL205.064
Originally Posted by shekmark
This is my only complaint, and it’s a small one. I do love the car. It up shifts so soon that it’s in 4th or 5th and I am only doing 25 mph and I’m at 1200 rpm! I assume this is a move to improve fuel economy ratings, but I find it annoying. I am still new to my 2019 pre owned , so I am exploring how it works in S AND S+ , but I don’t think it’s much different unless you are getting on it which isn’t so easy where I live. I find myself playing with the paddle shifters constantly.
Speaking of paddle shifters, do you prefer to drive the vehicle in full manual mode instead if the early up shift gets too annoying?
Old 12-06-2021, 09:28 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Speaking of paddle shifters, do you prefer to drive the vehicle in full manual mode instead if the early up shift gets too annoying?
I/m still working on what I like to do. I did personalized the Individual mode with manual shifting. Honestly, I am still trying to figure out how MB has each mode programmed. My drive to work is only 1.5 miles and I have been so busy that I really have not put many miles on it yet. I need a take a drive to a place where I can open it up without fear of crowded neighborhood or cops.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
Originally Posted by shekmark
I/m still working on what I like to do. I did personalized the Individual mode with manual shifting. Honestly, I am still trying to figure out how MB has each mode programmed. My drive to work is only 1.5 miles and I have been so busy that I really have not put many miles on it yet. I need a take a drive to a place where I can open it up without fear of crowded neighborhood or cops.
I see. You could also switch it to manual mode with a button in the centre console for your convenience.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I pretty much only drove in eco mode (with exhaust enabled) for cruising, and individual mode (basically sport+ settings plus manual mode) for enthusiastic driving. The sport+ auto mode with the upshifts just made it weird. I’m always pumping the throttle to keep it in the correct gear. My 2022 should be here by years end, so we’ll see if there’s any improvement in the shift programming.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
I pretty much only drove in eco mode (with exhaust enabled) for cruising, and individual mode (basically sport+ settings plus manual mode) for enthusiastic driving. The sport+ auto mode with the upshifts just made it weird. I’m always pumping the throttle to keep it in the correct gear. My 2022 should be here by years end, so we’ll see if there’s any improvement in the shift programming.
I see, as for your current car when was the last time you brought the vehicle in for a transmission control unit software update? (They might perform it as a routine for Service A and B)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
I see, as for your current car when was the last time you brought the vehicle in for a transmission control unit software update? (They might perform it as a routine for Service A and B)
I sold my car a few months ago. Did 2 services on it, never noticed any changes to shift behavior.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064
I sold my car a few months ago. Did 2 services on it, never noticed any changes to shift behavior.
Did you mention it to them if so have they ever did any manual shift adaptation or at least did a transmission adaptation reset?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Did you mention it to them if so have they ever did any manual shift adaptation or at least did a transmission adaptation reset?
I did not. This isn’t a shift quality issue, it’s shift programming which I doubt would change with an update. This is as designed. The way the hybrid system works, the car is pretty responsive at low rpm’s, which is why this is the first car where I could actually use eco mode. It was just a strange decision to do the same in sports mode, where it’s great for cruising around, but terrible when you need to call for outright power out of nowhere because it takes time to get into the right gear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG E53 First Impressions?