W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished the 1k mile break in period...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
Just finished the 1k mile break in period...

It took 3 weeks, but finally done! first time using any mode other than Comfort and holy crap. The car was worth the wait.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 LR Disco HSE LUX, 2019 E63S, 2019 Sierra AT4
I'm at almost 800 miles. Been running mine in in Individual w/ Sport Trans on so it never goes in 4 cylinder mode. I figured if it's breaking in the engine why would I not want all 8 cylinders broken in equally.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 E63, 2011 E350, 1997 F50
Are we allowed to run the Trans on Individual sports mode during break in period? I though it was better not to change anything.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Originally Posted by Michael Khan
Are we allowed to run the Trans on Individual sports mode during break in period? I though it was better not to change anything.
You can run it in any mode - so as long as the engine is not rev'd beyond 4000-4500 RPM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by s26singh
You can run it in any mode - so as long as the engine is not rev'd beyond 4000-4500 RPM.
My 2018 AMG Supplement said in the list of notes on breaking-in a new vehicle on page 11 of the Supplement:
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+: Drive in drive program C.

The full notes are reproduced copied below here:
Notes on breaking-in a new vehicle
To preserve the engine during the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km):
* Drive at varying road speeds and engine speeds.
* Do not drive faster than 85 mph (140 km/h).
* Only briefly allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm (4,500 rpm).
* Mercedes-AMG E 43 4MATIC: Drive in drive program C or E.
* Mercedes‑AMG E 63 4MATIC+ and Mercedes‑AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+: Drive in drive program C.
* Move up a gear before the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the red area of the tachometer.
* Do not shift down a gear manually in order to brake.
* Avoid overstraining the vehicle, e.g. driving at full throttle.
* Do not depress the accelerator pedal past the pressure point (kickdown).
* Only increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed after 1,000 miles (1,500 km).

This also applies when the engine or parts of the drivetrain have been replaced.
Please also observe the following breaking-in notes:
*In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a certain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full system
effectiveness is not achieved until the end of this teach-in process.
* Brake linings, brake discs and tires that are either new or have been replaced only achieve optimum braking effect and grip after several hundred kilometers of driving. Compensate
for the reduced braking effect by applying greater force to the brake pedal.

Michael Khan (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by E634Me
My 2018 AMG Supplement said in the list of notes on breaking-in a new vehicle on page 11 of the Supplement:

* Only briefly allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4,500 rpm (4,500 rpm).
* Mercedes‑AMG E 63 4MATIC+ and Mercedes‑AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+: Drive in drive program C.
* Move up a gear before the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the red area of the tachometer.
* Only increase the engine speed gradually and accelerate the vehicle to full speed after 1,000 miles (1,500 km).

This also applies when the engine or parts of the drivetrain have been replaced.
*In certain driving and driving safety systems, the sensors adjust automatically while a certain distance is being driven after the vehicle has been delivered or after repairs. Full system
* Brake linings, brake discs and tires that are either new or have been replaced only achieve optimum braking effect and grip after several hundred kilometers of driving. Compensate

I knew I read it somewhere, guess suck running it on C mode until until you hit 1000miles, how does the exhaust sound with sports exhaust turned on when the car is in comfort mode.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
GTR
why would you spend 120k € on a car if you should look after a car like a baby ... buy>drive

if something goes wrong , you have a warranty.
i doubt anyone here will drive these cars longer than warranty period, taking into consideration the fact, that quality of that car is so low.
s26singh (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Michael Khan
I knew I read it somewhere, guess suck running it on C mode until until you hit 1000miles, how does the exhaust sound with sports exhaust turned on when the car is in comfort mode.
It’s a different beast. No overrun (cracks and burbles) and just not as loud in C versus the higher dynamic settings. My commute is 100 miles round trip, so it was easy to wait until the 1k mark.
Michael Khan (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by X166

It’s a different beast. No overrun (cracks and burbles) and just not as loud in C versus the higher dynamic settings. My commute is 100 miles round trip, so it was easy to wait until the 1k mark.
My commute to work is 25 miles one way, so I would say it would take me about 3 weeks roughly to get to 1000 miles.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Agreed, louder with exhaust in Sport mode, but no crackles or overruns. Need to be in Sport+ or Race to get the full benefit of the great sound.

I did follow the breaking-in instructions to the letter. Mainly because it was my first Merc and I didn't know how **** they would be about any warranty issues. Got a feel for how many computers there are in this thing during the factory tour and as a result, how much opportunity there is for data logging.

I've usually not broken-in anything this gently and all my various cars and race bikes have never had problems.

But in this case we picked up the car in Germany and were doing the European vacation touring thing so the miles went by pretty quickly. Nice mix of roads from really small city streets, to single and double lane highways, and some autobahn. Lots of good engine speed variation so the car never sat there droning along for long at a single RPM number for long.

On the autobahn it was hard to watch the unrestricted portions come and go and see some cars tearing along at warp speed while we trundled along at 140 km/h, but that did give the family a chance to get acclimated to seeing moms in their minivans zipping along at 200 km/h. We still had several days left in Germany when the 1500 km breaking-in period was over so did get to enjoy some higher speed runs on the autobahn. Was raining off and on so needed to wait for a combination of clear weather, traffic, and unrestricted roads before we were able to really open up the car. Hit ~170 mph on the last night on our way back to Stuttgart to turn the car in the next morning. Car was still pulling hard, but had to back out given conditions.

Prepare for a very big smile when you do finally get to open it up ;-)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by X166
It took 3 weeks, but finally done! first time using any mode other than Comfort and holy crap. The car was worth the wait.
How different is the car in comfort versus race? 20%?

> * Do not shift down a gear manually in order to brake.

How bad is this for a car even after brake in period?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 307 Likes on 226 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored

> * Do not shift down a gear manually in order to brake.

How bad is this for a car even after brake in period?
The drive train is engineered for the rapid engine speed and torque changes that come with engine braking. You can't do much on a track if you can't downshift hard and often. The car is fine with it. It's just a matter of letting the rings bed and bearings get their bearings. Some people don't believe in breaking in a car, but I think it will pay dividends in engine longevity, oil consumption and power output. Once it's broken in, anything the ECU will let you do is fine.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by whoover
The drive train is engineered for the rapid engine speed and torque changes that come with engine braking. You can't do much on a track if you can't downshift hard and often. The car is fine with it. It's just a matter of letting the rings bed and bearings get their bearings. Some people don't believe in breaking in a car, but I think it will pay dividends in engine longevity, oil consumption and power output. Once it's broken in, anything the ECU will let you do is fine.
I wonder if it is more... most people lease this car and don't care about it's health after 3 years?
Old 12-17-2018, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Hopefully the ECU will look at the current revs and the predicted revs if the downshift happens and prevent a downshift that will result in overspending on the engine.

I routinely use downshifts to help hold down the car’s speed on hills to avoid riding the brakes. But I keep an eye on the rpms.

Unlike rev limiters on cars and bikes that keep throttle input from winding up the motor too high, they can’t do anything to slow down the revs when the car is in a gear too low for the speed.

When road racing motorcycles, I used the brakes for braking, not the transmission. Given the extreme weight transfer to the front tire - to the point of lofting the rear tire off the ground frequently, you don’t want any extra braking input on the rear wheel from the engine because lockup or unintended slides can occur. They started adding slipper clutches to help manage this around the time I stopped racing. You only have so much time to get in a bunch of downshifts in the braking period before you transition into the turn so before slipper clutches guys got very good at manual clutch management while trail braking into a turn till engine revs and bike speed matched.

Huge difference in the car but you can still feel downshifts impacting the braking, but ultimately, use the brakes for braking and the tranny for getting the car in the right gear to move forward appropriately.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Originally Posted by E634Me

Generally speaking, and for simplicity sake, it is a good idea not to rev your engine beyond 4000-4500 rpm during break-in-period; the mode makes no difference. If you know this car and have working knowledge or some experience with newer performance cars, it is clear which modes will carry higher revs, and which modes will shift faster - all of which can be manually adjusted. Following all the above steps is just overkill, and I say this through experience.