Sponsored by:

E53 with 48 volt battery problem - not recharging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes E53
E53 with 48 volt battery problem - not recharging

Purchased my 1st AMG Mercedes Benz about 2 weeks ago. After a couple days of driving-299 miles on the (odometer) the vehicle check engine light came on stating that the 48 volt battery was not recharging. The car lost all power within seconds and had to be towed to my local MB service department.. After almost 1 week in the shop I was updated by my service representative that they think it MAY be the 48 volt battery? Yesterday they ordered a replacement batterybut unfortunately the new battery isn’t scheduled to arrive for another 2 weeks (January 22). I am a bit frustrated considering this initial repair on a brand new car is now projected to take over 3 weeks .
Question - Has anyone else experienced issues with this 48 volt battery? Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jamieson Craig:
Calplayer (04-28-2021), DJG1fteed (03-01-2024)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E53 AMG
Problem may be starting

Sorry to hear that about your new car. But, after a 1000 miles on my new E53. There is a squeak noise on start up could this be the start of the same problem with the recharging system. Or are these engines just noisy because it’s a hybrid ? Any info helps.

Originally Posted by Jamieson Craig
Purchased my 1st AMG Mercedes Benz about 2 weeks ago. After a couple days of driving-299 miles on the (odometer) the vehicle check engine light came on stating that the 48 volt battery was not recharging. The car lost all power within seconds and had to be towed to my local MB service department.. After almost 1 week in the shop I was updated by my service representative that they think it MAY be the 48 volt battery? Yesterday they ordered a replacement batterybut unfortunately the new battery isn’t scheduled to arrive for another 2 weeks (January 22). I am a bit frustrated considering this initial repair on a brand new car is now projected to take over 3 weeks .
Question - Has anyone else experienced issues with this 48 volt battery? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
After 4 months and 3700 miles on my E53 Coupe I haven't had any issues with the battery charging or the car not starting properly. It has operated flawlessly. I still don't fully understand the battery/charging system. Are there two batteries, one 12V and one 48 volt? Where are the located?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BenzC400
After 4 months and 3700 miles on my E53 Coupe I haven't had any issues with the battery charging or the car not starting properly. It has operated flawlessly. I still don't fully understand the battery/charging system. Are there two batteries, one 12V and one 48 volt? Where are the located?
I don't know where they are located, but yes, there are two. The 48V battery is for the integrated starter/alternator and also powers the AC and water pump. Voltage is then stepped-down for a 12V circuit with its own battery that powers the traditional consumers, like lights. Some day there may be 48V versions of wiper motors, etc., etc., but not today.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

When a Mercedes dealer needs a part - they order it from mercedes. If Mercedes doesn't have it, then it takes 3 weeks to get it from Germany.

However 95% of the time, another dealer in the country will have the part. Ask the dealer to do a parts search to see if another dealer has it. Then buy the part from that dealer.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new owner
So after 1800 miles my E53 has had ! 48v battery message that has cleared itself and now the car has been taken to my dealer for a SRS system fault message. It also give a false indication when you put the right blinker on that there is a car present and the car give a very hard shift in manual shift mode from 3rd to 4th gear in sport plus. They just contacted me to tell me they will need to order a Steering control module. I also informed them when i dropped off about all these other issues. . To be continued, LOL.

Not to pleased with such a expensive car having all these issues. I should of gone with Porsche. HAHA
Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E53 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzC400

I am in the same boat mine is A1 so far.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new owner
So after getting my E53 back from my local dealer and them changing the steering control unit, the fault has come back again after 2 days. Now this is becoming a serious safety issue that is exstremly disheartening for such a new car that is only 1.5 months old.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 Mercedes AMG E53 2002 Mercedes C-Coupe Kompressor
That does sound rather inexcusable from ANY major automaker these days.
Where in the country are you and what dealer are you using?
Inquiring minds and all that :-) What is/was the resolution to the problem?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
14200 kms in, car gave the dreaded 48V battery error pull aside now. Was stuck in traffic but had no problems driving another 5 mins to a safe spot. Shut it down, waited 5 mins, restarted and everything went back to normal. Here’s hoping it’s just a false sensor reading turning off the whole hybrid system. Drives normally now, charges and regen brakes normally.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Joseph Briseno
Sorry to hear that about your new car. But, after a 1000 miles on my new E53. There is a squeak noise on start up could this be the start of the same problem with the recharging system. Or are these engines just noisy because it’s a hybrid ? Any info helps.

After 1,200 miles, no problem here with battery or any squeak. I realiza that this reply is not very helpful, but at least shows that your issue is not universal.
I have to add however that this new (by about 2 years, right?) engine model and technology is quite new to Mercedes and did give me pause before purchasing it. After trying to educate myself as much as possible beforehand and finally test-driving it other organs overcame my brain and I slapped down my cash.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:37 PM

...wanted to add...this approach to engine technology really appears to me to be the way forward as the environmentalists force us toward ever smaller displacements.
Certainly as far as retaining an internal combustion component is concerned. Obviously, plug-in total electrics are another ball of wax.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:39 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
8,500 miles and so far still no battery charging issues or warnings.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Went to the dealer to scan the codes. 48v to 12v DC/DC converter threw a possible ground fault code, while the electric turbo reported a low voltage code. It’s been a couple days, haven’t had a repeat. If it happens again they’ll tear things apart to look for possible loose connection somewhere.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:53 PM

E450

Purchased a new 2021 Mercedes E450 last week. Drove 35 miles. Parked car at home. Next day wouldn't start. Everything frozen. Three Mercedes people tried to jump start--didn't work. Had to tow to dealer. They say it is the 48 volt battery and they had to order it from California. Has been a week--no battery and car is still at the dealership.
been a week--no battery and no car as it is at the dealership.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:40 AM

E53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mxjet1
So after getting my E53 back from my local dealer and them changing the steering control unit, the fault has come back again after 2 days. Now this is becoming a serious safety issue that is extremely disheartening for such a new car that is only 1.5 months old.
Has anyone had a SUCCESSFULL resolution to the 48V debacle. I picked up a E53 Coupe a month ago have 1200 miles on it at almost died after my car went into limp mode on the high way....48V error, coolant issue. CRAZY.

Anyone have the correct solution.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:46 AM

GLE 53
Same issue. Drove the truck for about 2 months. Parked at the mall, came out and the truck wouldn't start. Had it towed to the dealer and now waiting for a replacement batter. Service advisor mentioned that this has happened to another customer in the last two weeks also. Very disappointing and the replacement car they provided is a GLB base. Not to sound spoiled but Mercedes needs to do better on the customer service side.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:29 PM

2021 GLS 580
Same thing here.

Originally Posted by Rosie11
Purchased a new 2021 Mercedes E450 last week. Drove 35 miles. Parked car at home. Next day wouldn't start. Everything frozen. Three Mercedes people tried to jump start--didn't work. Had to tow to dealer. They say it is the 48 volt battery and they had to order it from California. Has been a week--no battery and car is still at the dealership.
been a week--no battery and no car as it is at the dealership.
Perchanced 2021 GLS 580 2 weeks ago. Yesterday went to start, got a Stop Vehicle, See Operator's Manual with red Battery Icon.
The car will not start. Roadside came, measured 12V battery, said it was fine. Getting towed to MB dealer first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:21 PM

2021 GLS 580
Update

Originally Posted by Tiverton
Perchanced 2021 GLS 580 2 weeks ago. Yesterday went to start, got a Stop Vehicle, See Operator's Manual with red Battery Icon.
The car will not start. Roadside came, measured 12V battery, said it was fine. Getting towed to MB dealer first thing tomorrow morning.
Update:
48 Volt hybrid battery is faulty. It would take 3 weeks to get a battery like that. The car is not drivable. I'm starting to feel like Mercedes's PR department is miles ahead of what their production and quality control capabilities are. They sure did fool me. I've purchased 15 new cars over last 30 years and I never had one that could not be driven for service, especially in first 2 weeks of ownership. Needless to say we're very disappointed with Mercedes as a company.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
indicates to me that traditional car companies couldn't figure out hybrid/electrical vehicles. Unforti=unate but I think because they lost any innovation during polishing ICE engines to perfection and they cant /unable to switch to new technology.
I'm enjoying my E63s but will not buy ev from BMW/MB/Audi/Ford etc
Old 01-25-2021, 09:09 PM

2019 E53 Coupe
The technology isn’t new anymore. I think it was introduced in the 2018 S Class. I’ve driven a 2019 E53 Coupe with the 48 volt system for more than two years with no problems with the 48 volt system. Hopefully you’ll get the 48 volt battery replaced and have years of problem free driving.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by Tiverton
Update:
48 Volt hybrid battery is faulty. It would take 3 weeks to get a battery like that. The car is not drivable. I'm starting to feel like Mercedes's PR department is miles ahead of what their production and quality control capabilities are. They sure did fool me. I've purchased 15 new cars over last 30 years and I never had one that could not be driven for service, especially in first 2 weeks of ownership. Needless to say we're very disappointed with Mercedes as a company.

Sorry to hear this. I can commiserate with you. I had the exact same thing happen to my 3 week old GLS63. She wouldn’t start for me after work and had to be towed to the dealer. My SA said the 48V battery was bad which was the cause of the problem. His words were “the battery is on galaxy wide back order...” which didn’t make me feel great but he is planning on asking the GM if he can take a battery out of one of the AMG models on the lot...hope that one isn’t bad too. Seems like there was a bad batch of those batteries.

X
Old 04-20-2021, 01:32 AM

E450 all terrain
Did you eventually get hold of a battery? Is the problem completely fixed ?
Got the exact issue while I was out camping with my family. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Wife no longer trusts the car, and MB customer service was pathetic.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E53 amg
Originally Posted by Joseph Briseno
that squeak is exhaust valve needing lubricant. Under car location. My 2020 did that. Solved easy