Sponsored by:

RIP my E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by cjmk1982
Thanks. I dont know if he'll step up to the plate or not but at the end of the day, I let him drive my car so I guess it's ultimately my fault. If he does offer something then that will say alot about his character and I could probably brush this off and move forward, but for now, I get so angry everytime I think about him or my car. I will make him live in guilt for the rest of his life for what he's done to me.
Been there sort of. Always let friends drive my cars and thankfully never had them total it. Most are gracious and respectful especially with me in the passenger seat. Not all. I remember this one time the guy was just stabbing at the throttle on/off at low speed making the car jerk aggressively over and over and over. I look at him and I’m perplexed and ask “what on earth are you doing?” and he gives me a giggle. I immediately asked him to stop. He realized I wasn’t happy and stopped. I can imagine the abuse the car would see if I wasn’t there.

You are right. At first I thanked God that he wasnt injured and that no one else was involved or hurt. Then after, I was filled with anger, but then calmed myself down thinking of how much worse it could've been. Even my insurance appraiser was saying how he was amazed that nothing had happened to him. He said if he had been driving majority of the other car brands out there then he would've been seriously hurt or maybe even dead. IMO, the engineering of Mercedes saved his life.
This. Makes me feel better about having my one year old ride in the back.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I'm sure you're buddy is upset and he's out $1000
Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This is really a celebration thread that nothing WORSE happened other than the first world problem that the OP has to find a new e63 ... god that sucks!!! Having to search the internet for a perfect $115,000 car???

I feel for you man but you're not burying bodies or sucked into a liability lawsuit ... happy for you!!!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 amg e63s
Originally Posted by Dunga
Been there sort of. Always let friends drive my cars and thankfully never had them total it. Most are gracious and respectful especially with me in the passenger seat. Not all. I remember this one time the guy was just stabbing at the throttle on/off at low speed making the car jerk aggressively over and over and over. I look at him and I’m perplexed and ask “what on earth are you doing?” and he gives me a giggle. I immediately asked him to stop. He realized I wasn’t happy and stopped. I can imagine the abuse the car would see if I wasn’t there.

This. Makes me feel better about having my one year old ride in the back.
Same here. A little older but I'll be damned if I didnt do everything to keep them safe as possible. After seeing this, 100% confident in the safety of the e63s. Dad approved.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 AM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
friends don't let friends drive.

sorry for your loss, but be happy that it's totaled.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
So I let my friend drive my car and he completely totals it. My heart is broken. I thank God that he didnt get injured but damn....my car.
bad set of circumstances. I think you said it was a 2018. The good thing is the 2019s are better. Better Distronic programming. No worries of the cel issue. Better steering wheel. I think you’ll come out fine. That’s actually a pretty good deal Ins is giving you. One of the reasons I drive these cars is the safety factor. Think about it though if he’d been paralyzed or lost his legs or something severe like that he probably would have sued you for putting him behind the wheel of such a high performance car. Seen this kind of thing before. He probably would have won 5 to 10 million too. So I’d count your blessings and move on too another car and you’ve now learned a lesson to never let anyone drive it.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
bad set of circumstances. I think you said it was a 2018. The good thing is the 2019s are better. Better Distronic programming. No worries of the cel issue. Better steering wheel. I think you’ll come out fine. That’s actually a pretty good deal Ins is giving you. One of the reasons I drive these cars is the safety factor. Think about it though if he’d been paralyzed or lost his legs or something severe like that he probably would have sued you for putting him behind the wheel of such a high performance car. Seen this kind of thing before. He probably would have won 5 to 10 million too. So I’d count your blessings and move on too another car and you’ve now learned a lesson to never let anyone drive it.
Imagine that! A 'friend' suing for his own stupidity........."Oh my friend, YOU put ME behind the wheel of this car; you forced me! And now I've wrecked you car" Said friend continues "It had so much power I had no idea, now you're going to have to pay me......XXXXX dollars." (WTF!)

This is in NO WAY the OP's fault............lesson learned? First world problem? Never let anyone drive your car?
These are not the answers IMO
Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Obviously you know nothing about long term disability and it’s associated costs and the law. If his friend had Been paralyzed who is going to pay the ten million long term health care costs? The tax payers? Say he had no health insurance? Just let him die because he was a bad boy and crashed a expensive car? Ya he would have had a case. Obviously you have not seen these kind of cases but I have. You might be right if this were some third world country we were talking about but this is the USA.
The following users liked this post:
rustybear3 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Obviously you know nothing about long term disability and it’s associated costs and the law. If his friend had Been paralyzed who is going to pay the ten million long term health care costs? The tax payers? Say he had no health insurance? Just let him die because he was a bad boy and crashed a expensive car? Ya he would have had a case. Obviously you have not seen these kind of cases but I have. You might be right if this were some third world country we were talking about but this is the USA.
I completely agree. Besides just because something doesn’t make sense doesn’t mean you can’t find an attorney that would litigate the crap out of it.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
There's what is right, there is what is wrong, and then there is the law.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM

2018 amg e63s
yeap. ive been thinking about it and I do feel that we both lucked out. just a life lesson and moving on but cant help but be heart broken. glad he was safe and mad as heck he wrecked my car and sad as f about my car, all at the same time. I think you call this grief.... man Im hoping I can find one just like her in 2019. I think only then I would get over this....
Old 04-18-2019, 11:36 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I do admit not knowing anything about long term disability......and I wish to continue that lifestyle.........but we're talking about grown men here correct? What kind of a person would do that? it's plain decency to be a man and own up to your mistakes.....
That's a great question: who would pay? And why not the idiot that did it to himself? The tax payers? If that's the way the system is set up then so be it........did we design the health care? Nope.......
Just let him die? Well? Another tough question.........we do have free will and are capable of making our own choices.......

I haven't seen cases like these, thankfully, because I don't wish to focus on such BS in life.

Perhaps in the future a waiver would be a good idea to let a 'friend' drive your high powered car......

If I sound dismissing and callous. well then, I do apologize. I merely believe in taking responsibility for one's choices.

Might be different if these were teenagers
Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM

2018 amg e63s
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I do admit not knowing anything about long term disability......and I wish to continue that lifestyle.........but we're talking about grown men here correct? What kind of a person would do that? it's plain decency to be a man and own up to your mistakes.....
That's a great question: who would pay? And why not the idiot that did it to himself? The tax payers? If that's the way the system is set up then so be it........did we design the health care? Nope.......
Just let him die? Well? Another tough question.........we do have free will and are capable of making our own choices.......

I haven't seen cases like these, thankfully, because I don't wish to focus on such BS in life.

Perhaps in the future a waiver would be a good idea to let a 'friend' drive your high powered car......

If I sound dismissing and callous. well then, I do apologize. I merely believe in taking responsibility for one's choices.

Might be different if these were teenagers
I do agree with you about owning up to your mistakes like a man. It's just that I gave him permission so then that puts me at fault as well... I should've said no, but I was drunk and did not realize the bs that would fall upon me if anything happened. If I had known, this would've never happened. Just glad he wasn't hurt or hurt anyone else in the process. I really wish that the law would change this. I'm like you, I think that people should take responsibility for the actions and after experiencing this, I truly think that there are gaps in the system that needs to be corrected to protect people from incidents like this. Just so dang unfair.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I do agree with you about owning up to your mistakes like a man. It's just that I gave him permission so then that puts me at fault as well... I should've said no, but I was drunk and did not realize the bs that would fall upon me if anything happened. If I had known, this would've never happened. Just glad he wasn't hurt or hurt anyone else in the process. I really wish that the law would change this. I'm like you, I think that people should take responsibility for the actions and after experiencing this, I truly think that there are gaps in the system that needs to be corrected to protect people from incidents like this. Just so dang unfair.
I hear you. I do have to ask: was your friend drinking as well?

From the sounds of it, you'll be back in something in no time!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM

2018 amg e63s
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I hear you. I do have to ask: was your friend drinking as well?

From the sounds of it, you'll be back in something in no time!
No drinks of alcohol, but plenty of drinks of stupid.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
If’s just metal and the realization that high performance cars are best driven by people that know what they are doing. Too easy to get others hurt...

In regards to cars, no equal specs in town (Minneapolis) but our dealers have 5 MY19 E63s’ in stock. Two wagons.
Deals can be had on all of them...
Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
If’s just metal and the realization that high performance cars are best driven by people that know what they are doing. Too easy to get others hurt...

In regards to cars, no equal specs in town (Minneapolis) but our dealers have 5 MY19 E63s’ in stock. Two wagons.
Deals can be had on all of them...
Yes. Got mine from Sears in February and got a decent deal. They have a few and so do the other dealerships. They’ll also deal on special orders.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As far as my lawsuit comment. It would be the insurer who would pay out first up to the limit of the insurance policy and then the owner would be responsible for the balance assuming the lawsuit was won and yes it would take a really really good lawyer to pull that off but it is possible. Anyhow, Thankfully you don’t have to worry about all this. I would highly recommend though you at least check out a E450. The money you’d save and i really find 362 hp and 369 lb ft of torque is all I can really use anyhow with the roads I drive on. I was not saying all this lawsuit stuff was right in my previous post but it is the world we live in these days.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-18-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
As far as my lawsuit comment. It would be the insurer who would pay out first up to the limit of the insurance policy and then the owner would be responsible for the balance assuming the lawsuit was won and yes it would take a really really good lawyer to pull that off but it is possible. Anyhow, Thankfully you don’t have to worry about all this. I would highly recommend though you at least check out a E450. The money you’d save and i really find 362 hp and 369 lb ft of torque is all I can really use anyhow with the roads I drive on. I was not saying all this lawsuit stuff was right in my previous post but it is the world we live in these days.
Agree with you merc on both counts. People need to think twice about liability issues before turning over the. keys. The E450 is a great alternative. Plenty of HP and amenities coupled with a smooth ride and great handling. Plus you can save money and have a brand new Benz.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the primacy tires both my E450s ride sweet now and handle as good as I can imagine. No shame in a twin turbo V6. They even make some nice sounds. I’m in a GLA loaner now and I’m really appreciating those cars even now more. One of the new Michelin’s Primacy 3 tires I bought at the dealer is defective and not due in till 5 tomorrow. My Cabriolet is in storage another 2 weeks.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:48 PM

2018 amg e63s
UPDATE:

So my insurance has told me that they can only give me close to 108k. They are telling me that certain options do not have value and will not be covered.

Not covered option:
1. designo Black DINAMICA headliner 2. Air Balance Package3. Active multicontour front seats with massage4. Acoustic Comfort Package5. Soft Close Doors6. Expel Car Wrap protection7. Carbon Fiber Engine Cover8. AMG Performance ExhaustUnsure how these options dont have any value. Wtf.... *First totaled car so unfamiliar with the car insurance claims process, so excuse me if I come off as ignorant. Not really sure if that is actually a fair value. Lol.*Test drove a lot of cars and I just dont feel fulfilled like I did with my e63s. So decided to go with another e63s.Searched everywhere for a used or new one with same options in all different colors (figured I would wrap the car in the color I wanted). Nowhere to be found.Tried to order a 2019 but no can do. Must order 2020.Put my name on the list, even though there are no allocations yet to authorized dealers, and now patiently waiting for mb to reunite me with her.Guessing late October of this year but hopefully sooner. Fingers crossed.To be continued.

Last edited by cjmk1982; 04-23-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
UPDATE:

So my insurance has told me that they can only give me close to 108k. They are telling me that certain options do not have value and will not be covered.

Not covered option:
1. designo Black DINAMICA headliner 2. Air Balance Package3. Active multicontour front seats with massage4. Acoustic Comfort Package5. Soft Close Doors6. Expel Car Wrap protection7. Carbon Fiber Engine Cover8. AMG Performance ExhaustUnsure how these options dont have any value. Wtf.... *First totaled car so unfamiliar with the car insurance claims process, so excuse me if I come off as ignorant. Not really sure if that is actually a fair value. Lol.*Test drove a lot of cars and I just dont feel fulfilled like I did with my e63s. So decided to go with another e63s. Searched everywhere for a used or new one with same options in all different colors (figured I would wrap the car in the color I wanted). Nowhere to be found.Tried to order a 2019 but no can do. Must order 2020. Put my name on the list, even though there are no allocations yet to authorized dealers, and now patiently waiting for mb to reunite me with her.Guessing late October of this year but hopefully sooner. Fingers crossed.To be continued.
Just a heads up that you can "haggle" with your insurance company...and sue them if needed. I would be like, "well then tell Mercedes all of these options are $0 so I can get a fully loaded one for base price". They get a little more "accommodating" if you have a legitimate grievance on legal grounds you are thinking of exercising.
cjmk1982 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM

2018 amg e63s
Originally Posted by Carac
Just a heads up that you can "haggle" with your insurance company...and sue them if needed. I would be like, "well then tell Mercedes all of these options are $0 so I can get a fully loaded one for base price". They get a little more "accommodating" if you have a legitimate grievance on legal grounds you are thinking of exercising.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that first thing in the morning.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
What insurance company is saying that? The performance exhaust alone changes a cars value quite a bit.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 AM

This is a load of horse**** they’re giving you. Their sole purpose is to save money at this point which is infuriating because when you send your premiums each month you don’t think about it. No they get their money before you you get your paycheck. But when it’s time for them to pay up they nickel and dime you.

I ran ran into something similar 3 years ago. We had just finished a $200k remodel of our house and I ensured to upgrade my insurance policy accordingly. Well a month after construction is done, we ended up with one of the worst summer storms to hit the Northland. City lost power for 2-7 days depending on your neighborhood. 100+ mph wind knocked lot of trees and utilities. We ended up with a sewage overflow in the brand new basement. Had to stay in a hotel coz the house was a biohazard and there’s no power to clean up. After all is said and done and clean up is complete which included cutting dry wall, they sent a field adjuster to estimate my payoff. They quoted us stuff like “repaint bathroom: $200”. “Replacement carpet: $400”. Just trying to give you an idea. This stuff just cost us thousands just a couple of months prior. And they tried to deny reimbursement of things they had told me they’d cover on the phone. I had them pull the tapes and register to them, and they went **** on the verbiage “we never technically told you to go out of your way and do that” when I had simply asked them if they’d cover something and the answer from their phone adjuster was “yes, do what you need to do”.

After fighting with with them over a month they paid up to the penny. I wish it wasn’t like that. I wish we never needed them as I’m sure you wish your car wasn’t totaled but it is what it is. And you need to fight for what they owe you.
GreenFox (04-24-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RIP my E63S