Locked wheels...nooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 e63s Amg (w213) Grey Magno
Locked wheels...nooooooooo!

Hi all,

Preface: swapped out winter wheels and tire set up for summer the other day. Then this happened...

Once I was done I realised the parking brake was locked on, car wouldn't budge. I engaged and disengaged the manual switch multie times. Turned the car on/off. Tried with door closed and seat belt on. I CANNOT get the brake to release. The indicator light goes off and on and the brake pedal moves normally as the parking brake is applied and released but the car lurches and ECU cuts throttle to avoid damage to brake components.

I've searched high and low on the interwebs and nada.

Anyone ever had this issue? Recommended solutions?

Thx
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
my wild guess is that your winter wheels may have required longer lug bolts? ..... but after switching back to your
summer wheels (which have thinner cross section) the longer bolts were too long...or just enough to prevent the
wheel from turning as they've impacted something back around the hub. but that wouldn't make sense if you
were the one who installed the winter wheels and would have known of the lug bolt length differences, yes?
are these the same lugs you have used previously for both winter and summer wheels ?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:01 AM

Thought of that..

Originally Posted by raymond g-
my wild guess is that your winter wheels may have required longer lug bolts? ..... but after switching back to your
summer wheels (which have thinner cross section) the longer bolts were too long...or just enough to prevent the
wheel from turning as they've impacted something back around the hub. but that wouldn't make sense if you
were the one who installed the winter wheels and would have known of the lug bolt length differences, yes?
are these the same lugs you have used previously for both winter and summer wheels ?
Good call. I have lugs specific for the summer wheels and those wheels/lugs were on the car all summer last year.

I also thought of putting the stock wheels back on to see if it was wheel related and no dice. The car is now inoperable regardless of wheels and tires. Argh. Very frustrating.

I am thinking it had something to do with the car being lifted. Was thinking of removing the actuator to get it to the dealership.....
Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by raymond g-
Did you wash the car and park it? When you wash it, the brakes have a tendency to bite keeping the car stationary.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a while?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I think a race start might bust it loose - LOL

J/K -- DO NOT TRY THAT

Good luck and let us know the resolution.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 PM

SOLVED!!

Look closely at the shiny spot on the knuckle. This is what metal on metal does Could have been much worse....
Soooooo, after much investigation I realised that one of the wheels had an incorrect offset and didn't have clearance past The knuckle. I cracked a wheel last summer and purchased a replacement wheel but never mounted it because it was a summer wheel and tire and it was November. Apparently the place that sold me the replacement wheel ordered and delivered the wrong wheel and I didn't find out until now. No major damage, thank the lord and disaster averted.

Operator oversight ....... doh!!!! Just goes to show you gotta doubke check everything for yourself.

See pics
The following users liked this post:
raymond g- (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 PM

Notoce that shiny ring around the rim It is suppsed to be finished black like the wheel.
bobblehead (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 698 Likes on 531 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
wow. You should get the idiot at the shop to reimburse you and get you the right wheel.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 AM

Yup already handled. New wheel and no cost to me other than the pain in the ****.
Wassaby (05-03-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
wow