W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of an E63 wagon as my only vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
Had a 14' wagon previous and now a 18' as my daily for a year and half now. The still amazes me at what its capable of . Haul 2 sets of race tires to be mounted, kids football gear and almost anything I can get in my wifes GL. Amazing in the rain and a beast with snows in winter.
I live outside NYC but drive in the city almost every week. No issues . Beats a buddy's Tesla with Ludicrous,GT3's and my Viper in a straight line .Smokes most cars on the back roads and sounds insane yet I can take 4 people comfortably. Not sure what else would make it more perfect everyday car . I find my self even choosing it over the Viper sometimes for some blast up to events. I like it that much

I get as much thumbs up from people in my wagon as I do in the ACR

If you want a car you wont be bored of get the 63 's wagon.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
E63S4S
Originally Posted by nn7man
I run a E63 S Wagon (tuned by Brabus) as my daily. It's the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of a car, hauls kids, pets and groceries but will see off most supercars with 800 PS and 1,000 NM. The 4Matic+ system puts all the power down without drama unless you put it into rear wheel drive only.

Can't comment on NYC streets but the (Brabus lowered) air suspension is great on the UK's back roads despite running Brabus 21" forged monoblocks. The ability to raise the ride height gives almost SUV type clearance for those bad weather days.

The standard seats are superb, no need for the performance seats, it's the only car I can drive all day without any discomfort.
Cost and where did you source the Brabus tune?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,502 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
The OP said it best

"Smiles are priceless"

Buy the wagon and enjoy; fiscally and mathematically the e63S doesn't make sense to most but emotionally and viscerally it makes total sense and I've learned in 40 years on this planet that some of the things that brought me the best quality of life and happiness truly were amazing purchases.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Thought about a wagon too, drove the GLE63s and being higher up is nice to see thru traffic... while test driving cars, wouldn't hurt to put on the list....
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
It wouldn't be fair to talk you out of buying the best wagon on the market..
The following 3 users liked this post by 78degrees:
AngelOfDeath (06-10-2019), E634Me (06-10-2019), Slugsy (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1969 Camaro
I've had my wagon for a bit over a week now. I was daily driving a 2012 lifted Wrangler and sometimes drive a very highly tuned 1969 Camaro with coil-over race suspension (I'm a little redneck). So I guess, I'm pretty used to a rough ride...so the E63 wagon is A LOT better than those and feels totally compliant to me over rough stuff, while being planted (I'm doing the break-in thing, so haven't really unloaded). My wife's daily driver and our weekend highway vehicle is a 2018 Q7, you'd think from some of the comments here that the E63 would be a lot more rough than the Q7, not so. A deep pothole will hit a bit harder in the E63, but it isn't like the Q7 completely absorbs it.

I had a couple requirements for my new vehicle. It had to be able to accommodate a large road bike in the back without taking a wheel off and needed to fit a large dog (~100 lbs) in the back for weekend trips. After looking at Raptors and Trailhawks...I just didn't want a truck or SUV, I wanted to be back in a car. Not a lot of car options out there that can handle my requirements. The wagon can do both with ease, a lot more cargo room than the Wrangler and as far as floor space just about as much as the Q7 (more total volume though in Audi, my Great Dane will not be in my wagon, only the half-lab mutt). All this being said, I did keep my Jeep, so I do have a bad weather vehicle. I'll put winter tires on the E63 but if we are having a bizzard or something, I do have a backup vehicle...so not quite just 1 car...oh and the Carmaro is staying, so yeah...maybe I shouldn't be telling you it will work as your only vehicle.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
I have had a lot of cars. I really loved my Range Rover Sport Autobiography morte than the C63S. Poor build quality and rattling and crashing everywhere kind of made even a great engine not enough. Now the E63S I am in love and am pretty sure I am not infatuated. My favorite car I have ever had by far. Nothing I have had can compare to this. Nothing and that silly grin I get driving it am sure will not go away for a few years.

Ok talk you out of it? Why? I tried to talk myself out of getting it and in the end I still got it and I have not regretted or wished I had succeeded talking myself out of it. Life is for living. Go get what you really want and enjoy it.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
BTW, why do you want the wagon and not the sedan? I have the sedan. More performance and just a bit less of cargo space but you will not look so much as a mid age dad...
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by tonecas
BTW, why do you want the wagon and not the sedan? I have the sedan. More performance and just a bit less of cargo space but you will not look so much as a mid age dad...
Mid aged? Mid aged??!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Dunga
Mid aged? Mid aged??!
over the hill/midlife crisis*
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Mid aged? Mid aged??!

Cultural bias...
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 VW GTI R
Makes my life a lot easier for my business to have a wagon/hatch/liftback or even suv. I used to have a vehicle with trunk opening and it sucked for being able to access what i need.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
why is this necessary? glad you like your sedan, but why do you have to insult those of us who drive and love their wagons?

also, please clarify “more performance” — can you point me to exactly how that’s manifested for you? in comparison to the E63 S wagon that i guarantee you’ve never driven?

think before you post.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Shill out... No intention of offending anyone. This is cultural bias. In my country people with wagons look more as family guys, more concerned with comfort than emotion. It's just as it is...

The wagon has more air drag and for instance it goes from 1 to 100kmh in 0.1s more
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM
sjb

S213 E63
Shill out... No intention of offending anyone. This is cultural bias. In my country people with wagons look more as family guys, more concerned with comfort than emotion. It's just as it is...

The wagon has more air drag and for instance it goes from 1 to 100kmh in 0.1s more
oh i’m totally shill.

lol. you really made your “more performance” point. i’m sure OP will base his decision on that expert assessment, and that missing 0.1s.

more concerned with comfort than emotion?! what the **** are you even talking about? you want to talk cultural bias? you drive a taxi. (i’m from Germany). have a great day.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

understand the culture your in me i tend to like to be different... so fast wagons are cool to me actually in the US wagons are cool again, especially old ones and fast incognito ones...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
The only real problem with the wagon is the low top speed.
10km/h (6mph) slower than the sedan..
Old 06-13-2019, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sjb
why is this necessary? glad you like your sedan, but why do you have to insult those of us who drive and love their wagons?

also, please clarify “more performance” — can you point me to exactly how that’s manifested for you? in comparison to the E63 S wagon that i guarantee you’ve never driven?

think before you post.
i'll back him up here. you're ignoring reality if you think a wagon is universally cool.

there is 100% a group of people who think they are unique/cool. they are most likely, all in this thread/forum. they also dress like doug de muro and crack dad jokes.

there is also 100% a group of people who think they are ugly + not cool, and they are called "the majority remainder of society".
Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
i'll back him up here. you're ignoring reality if you think a wagon is universally cool.

there is 100% a group of people who think they are unique/cool. they are most likely, all in this thread/forum. they also dress like doug de muro and crack dad jokes.

there is also 100% a group of people who think they are ugly + not cool, and they are called "the majority remainder of society".

Demuro LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM
sjb

S213 E63

at what point did i state that they are universally cool?

i took issue with the sweeping generalization, which wasn't productive to the thread, nor frankly the forum in which both body styles are discussed.

is it okay in your world order to like both? please let me know, so i can sleep well tonight.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

meanwhile lets get to OP questions

The wagon can do a lot of stuff you want it to do, any thoughts on towing ? that was one reason i did the SUV versus the wagon...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray

Man can you be a little more condescending? In deed you’re putting words in his mouth. Wagon owners who think they are universally cool/desired are delusional since you know, manufacturers would capitalize on that and sales numbers would reflect it. The uniqueness is not subjective, at least stateside, a wagon that makes 600 hp. If you disagree then I’ve nothing to say to you. In the minds of the owners, including myself, that makes them infinitely cooler and more desirable and that warrants the added premium over the E450. They handle better than an SUV and we can put our dogs, strollers, luggage...etc in the back. They’re heavier than the sedan and a tiny bit slower, so it’s up to each buyer to decide. Doug de Muro and dad jokes eh?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Man can you be a little more condescending? In deed you’re putting words in his mouth. Wagon owners who think they are universally cool/desired are delusional since you know, manufacturers would capitalize on that and sales numbers would reflect it. The uniqueness is not subjective, at least stateside, a wagon that makes 600 hp. If you disagree then I’ve nothing to say to you. In the minds of the owners, including myself, that makes them infinitely cooler and more desirable and that warrants the added premium over the E450. They handle better than an SUV and we can put our dogs, strollers, luggage...etc in the back. They’re heavier than the sedan and a tiny bit slower, so it’s up to each buyer to decide. Doug de Muro and dad jokes eh?
a pink fiat is unique too

i was just yanking the guy's chain because he was trying to defend that wagons are cool. wagons are cool, to some. i apologize for trying to introduce some light-hearted humor into these strictly serious, very sensitive forums
The following users liked this post:
shekmark (02-12-2022)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:26 PM
sjb

S213 E63
a pink fiat is unique too

i was just yanking the guy's chain because he was trying to defend that wagons are cool. wagons are cool, to some. i apologize for trying to introduce some light-hearted humor into these strictly serious, very sensitive forums
ah yes, the old humor defense after having been called out. never fails.

again, i took issue with the sweeping generalization... which you then decided to double down on.

here's a little chain yank for you: you clearly have problems with reading comprehension, and are a sensitive little troll.

just kidding, bro. hahahahahaha.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sjb
ah yes, the old humor defense after having been called out. never fails.

again, i took issue with the sweeping generalization... which you then decided to double down on.

here's a little chain yank for you: you clearly have problems with reading comprehension, and are a sensitive little troll.

just kidding, bro. hahahahahaha.
at least i don’t drive a *******g wagon!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of an E63 wagon as my only vehicle