Talk me out of an E63 wagon as my only vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
at least i don’t drive a *******g wagon!!!!
so weird that they decided to censor “amazin”

Old 06-13-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by sjb
so weird that they decided to censor “amazin”

so sexy! calling out all of the lameos online and picking up all of the chicks! irresistible!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored

so sexy! calling out all of the lameos online and picking up all of the chicks! irresistible!
My days of picking up chicks are over since you know, happily married and infidelity sucks. Your sedan looks infinitely better I promise, and majority of us will give that to you brother. Yet, the rocket hearse we chose is simply more utilitarian. Now enough of this bull**** as we’ve derailed the thread enough. If anyone has more input for the OP on topic they should chime in. At this rate muffin mods will close the thread.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by AngelOfDeath
I know i'm stepping into a biased forum, and that's cool. I figure if anyone here talks me out of this, it really is a bad idea.

I currently have 3 cars, I have a fun hatchback daily driver, an suv for snow days and for hauling stuff, and a muscle car for the weekends when i want want something more visceral. They take up too much space. I want to sell them all and just have 1 car that is a little more jack of all trades (master of none probably).

I'm self employed and for work I need something with more utility and cargo space than my daily for going to my customers. I drive 20k a year. I carry around a few boxes of materials, It all almost fits in my hatchback with the seats up, and everything is jammed. I want something fun,with AWD for the snow, and cargo capacity to cary around all my work equipment and the occasional home depot run. We're going to start trying for a kid soon, so also a family car to throw a car seat in and be able to take trips to Costco, or whatever it is people with families do. Also I hate SUVs... so based on all that, I've got blinders on for a sport wagon. I like the e450 and the e63. The nod goes to the e63 as my only car for the fun factor. I want to have the option go to the track with local car clubs and the AMG Driving Academy.

One big thing I like about the W213 wagons are the subtle looks. I believe most of my clients will look at the car and think "oh a mercedes, that's nice and professional, and the wagon is utilitarian dad mobile". The ones that are car people will know what an e63 is. But I don't think most of my clients will get jealous if i roll up in it since they'll have no idea what it is. You can't say that about the porsche wagon, I think it screams for attention which is not what i want rolling up to one of my customers. I always worry about having too nice of a car causing me to lose a sale for someone on the fence, which is why my current car is slightly more modest. It's silly, but image is everything and people can get jealous. I know some people will still get jealous of an MB, but i don't think it's too much flash.

I've never owned an MB in my car history. I heard that if something breaks MB only lets amg certified mechanics work on amg cars which can cause delays? And that If you need parts you could be waiting months? Also heard reliability is a **** show. Any truth to any of that? or people who are repeating one off horror stories?

Based on what i know about the e63 Wagon, here are my concerns:
  • Ride may be too stiff as a daily?
  • I live in the north east, I'm also concerned about potholes trashing rims.
  • Mileage is god awful for someone who drives 20+k miles a year, but smiles are priceless. I know i'll depreciate the vehicle faster with the wear and tear.
I plan on getting either a 1 year old CPO or buying new with an extended warranty. I plan on keeping the car 3-5 years before replacing it.

Anything I'm missing? Any other reasons not to get an E63 wagon? Do you think I'd be better off in an e450? Another vehicle? Those of you who have an e63 have any input?

ok getting back to Mr Angel,,, reread and quoted your post above

Whats more fun then taking a GLE63 to the track and embarrassing the crap out of a few sedans

Clients will just see a nice stately Suv.... the observant ones will ask what's 63 ?

Family ? easier to put in kiddo seats and stuff when the vehicle is higher, better than bending down all the time and throwing your back out... but then again im old ok over 50 so that may not be a factor for you

I hated SUV's........... till i got one instead of another massive pickup to pull the boat...

Know it's grown on me... i can see better than in the wife's car and easier to park then the big truck, fits in the garage...

anyway hopefully you can ignore the immature comments and find the tidbits of info some have left for you.

oh and i gotta say the '16 gle63 is put together better than my '12 ml63 which is based of the same chassis/motor just diff bodywork, so seems 4 years of building did result in better build quality at least for me

Mike

Last edited by mrmotoguzzi00; 06-13-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
ok getting back to Mr Angel,,, reread and quoted your post above

Whats more fun then taking a GLE63 to the track and embarrassing the crap out of a few sedans

Clients will just see a nice stately Suv.... the observant ones will ask what's 63 ?

Family ? easier to put in kiddo seats and stuff when the vehicle is higher, better than bending down all the time and throwing your back out... but then again im old ok over 50 so that may not be a factor for you

I hated SUV's........... till i got one instead of another massive pickup to pull the boat...

Know it's grown on me... i can see better than in the wife's car and easier to park then the big truck, fits in the garage...

anyway hopefully you can ignore the immature comments and find the tidbits of info some have left for you.

oh and i gotta say the '16 gle63 is put together better than my '12 ml63 which is based of the same chassis/motor just diff bodywork, so seems 4 years of building did result in better build quality at least for me

Mike
I have both btw Mike. They each have their own flavor. I think the wagon is a little more practical, a little roomier yet the SUV is a lot more forgiving on harsh roads. The GLS will obviously be roomier than either the wagon or the GLE. Also to the OP, this would be your last chance to get the glorious M157 which I personally think is one of the best engines out of Aflaterbach. I’ve only owned my W213 for 4 months and the engine is tremendously more capable and efficient, but there’s something about that 5.5L that is just difficult to describe. It drives like a naturally aspirated engine to be honest. And the 7 spd MCT will never get as long winded as the 9 spd so downshifts seem tidier. I think it sounds great too.

You will be stuck with an older cabin and older tech though. So maybe go test drive both and see what is a better fit.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by sjb
oh i’m totally shill.

lol. you really made your “more performance” point. i’m sure OP will base his decision on that expert assessment, and that missing 0.1s.

more concerned with comfort than emotion?! what the **** are you even talking about? you want to talk cultural bias? you drive a taxi. (i’m from Germany). have a great day.
doesn't seem so as you seemed to get very sensitive from my comment regarding the looks someone might get from driving a wagon. i will attribute that to some kind of Ego issue.

OP seems to be young or relatively young. I was relative young when i bought my previous car, a Skoda Octavia II 2.0 Sport. A wagon as it might be called on the US.
And the looks are clear, in my country and many others: a family car, not a performance car, even being equipped with a tuned performance suspension and chassis. There is a reason sport cars are shorter and with 2 seats, and it's not just for weight considerations.

I was merely asking OP if he truly needs a wagon, because the E is big enough for a family, and will lose some of the more cool/slick look of a sedan, and also some performance. Performance: 0.1s more in 0-60mph, less 10kmh in top speed, around 47kg of extra weight (although this can be used for good on a track), bla bla bla.

you seem smart enough to get your own information on this just browsing the web.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
Wow , a couple of seriously unfriendly people on this forum. I guess the Op never got either the E450 or the E63 wagon. He disappeared. Probably thought MB folks were too mean to each other, changed his mind, and bought a Porsche. Btw.. trying to be lighthearted here in case anyone wants to call me out. I thought the wagon jokes were funny. Having dinner with friends last night, I brought up the E63 Wagon because I happen to really like them although not in my budget. There were six of us. One , a car guy, said oh yea, those are awesome. The other four all made faces and said “ a station wagon? Really? “. So we had to explain. Interesting read, this thread. Lol.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 261 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
“ a station wagon? Really? “ Anyone who says that and then goes for a slow roll (start easy and gradually give it gas until its floored) will change their tune quickly.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
“ a station wagon? Really? “ Anyone who says that and then goes for a slow roll (start easy and gradually give it gas until its floored) will change their tune quickly.
No doubt!