Sponsored by:

What could be the cause of this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
What could be the cause of this?

As some of you may or may not know, I had a rear collision back in March where they literally had to replace the entire back end of my vehicle.

My car was out of commission for a little over two months and I picked it up at the end of May. Upon pickup and inspection, everything looked pristine. Since pickup, I have maybe put about 250-300 miles on the car up until today.

Today, while fueling up, I started to notice the panels on both sides of the rear end of the vehicle are no longer flush. I have attached pics below.

I really have no idea when it comes to body work, but could frame damage potentially be the root cause for something like this to set in over time? Or could it be something much less severe? This definitely wasn't there up until about a week or so ago. I am now worried that I am going to have to deal with this mess for the remainder of the vehicle lease, or possibly have it get worse over time

To make matters worse, I had this work done up North and I am now down South for the rest of the year so I am currently battling with them via phone/email. This was a very reputable shop that was MB Certified Body expert.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nissan
Is this the rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel leading to the bumper? If so, might be normal as my wagon is like this too. For while I thought it was my clear-bra installer that messed it up, but then I decided given the symmetry it must be how the pieces fit together.

Curious if all e63s have this.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dagger9903
Is this the rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel leading to the bumper? If so, might be normal as my wagon is like this too. For while I thought it was my clear-bra installer that messed it up, but then I decided given the symmetry it must be how the pieces fit together.

Curious if all e63s have this.
yes, both rear quarter panels.. like this on both sides. My next trip was a visit to a dealer who has one in the show room to see if I can tell a difference. It just seemed like a rather large eye sore for it to be considered normal, truth be told. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Mine is definitely not like that at all. Something is clearly not right.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
My E63S not like that. But could you have hit something or someone else have pushed up against your car at a parking spot? That would do it. looks like the result of what we used to call NY parking job.People park so tight they have to literally bump or push your car to get in or out of a spot. Tons of cars in NY city look like this. I should know I used to be a parking attendant in the city back in the day 20yrs ago.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
This is definitely not right. It may not be frame damage. Sometimes a panel just needs some small adjustments with its clips. I had this issue with my previous Audi where I kept bringing it to the shop over and over and everytime they’d say “here you go, now it’s mint!” Only for me to pick out a mismatching light bulb or misaligned panel. It was a nightmare. My recommendation is reopen the claim with your insurance provider, tell them you’re unhappy with the work done by this body shop and wanna take it elsewhere. Then take it to the best local shop you have.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by VaserC63S
My E63S not like that. But could you have hit something or someone else have pushed up against your car at a parking spot? That would do it. looks like the result of what we used to call NY parking job.People park so tight they have to literally bump or push your car to get in or out of a spot. Tons of cars in NY city look like this. I should know I used to be a parking attendant in the city back in the day 20yrs ago.
I am very particular about this stuff. In fact, my wife always yells at me because I park so far away whenever we go some where public, or I always use valet if available. Had some really bad run ins with parking lot problems! Can't 100% rule it out unfortunately, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by Dunga
This is definitely not right. It may not be frame damage. Sometimes a panel just needs some small adjustments with its clips. I had this issue with my previous Audi where I kept bringing it to the shop over and over and everytime they’d say “here you go, now it’s mint!” Only for me to pick out a mismatching light bulb or misaligned panel. It was a nightmare. My recommendation is reopen the claim with your insurance provider, tell them you’re unhappy with the work done by this body shop and wanna take it elsewhere. Then take it to the best local shop you have.

Good luck.
It was a Penske owned shop, so they told me they have a location down here I can probably bring it to. I will wait to see how they react before re-opening the claim. Thats exactly my fear is now I'm gonna have to deal with this for another 27 months, lol.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Did they use OEM parts to do the repair? That is not normal and looks like you have plastic warping . Could be from lower cost parts or the repair was not back to spec.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I think it just needs a clip adjustment ...as is, your car is definitely not normal
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Did they use OEM parts to do the repair? That is not normal and looks like you have plastic warping . Could be from lower cost parts or the repair was not back to spec.
Everything they told me was ordered directly from MB.

So far they have not responded in 2 days.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
My left rear lower panel will occasionally jut out about 1/8 inch or so. Just enough to be noticeable if I happen to be looking at it. A slight press with my knee is enough to push it back in to place and it seems to stay there for a fair while. I mean't to point it out at my last service but forgot.

Nothing so bad as in your case. I would definitely have that looked at.