Sponsored by:

2019 E63S Rear Axel Differential Lock Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 e63s
Unhappy 2019 E63S Rear Axel Differential Lock Inoperative

Hey guys. Just asking for some help regarding an issue I am getting with my 2019 E63s. After getting a tune from Eurocharged, few weeks after I started getting this rear differential warning message that would come and go randomly. Eventually it started coming more and more often to the point where it would not let me change driving modes ever. Couldn't adjust suspension, put into manual mode etc. Along with the differential warning would be a 4matic warning, blind spot assist, and lane keep assist. ESP would go completely off. Which led me to believe this was a type of electronic issue or glitch. I flashed back to stock and took it to the dealer. They gave me a software update, and the car worked great for a week. I then took it back to Eurocharged to get my tune flashed back on. Literally the same day the error came back. I was led to believe the tune was the culprit, causing the error or glitch in the system. Which takes me to today, my car is currently stock. after a software update and full erase of all warning messages, I am still getting the warning messages. Took it to the dealer again. They said according to the service bulletin for this issue, some "pins" had to be changed and the car should be working fine now. Picked the car up and it worked perfectly for a few hours...then boom. Rear diff warning, 4 matic, blind spot assist, lane keep assist, esp off. so ONCE AGAIN, I have just dropped it back at the dealer and they said they are gonna be on it first thing in the morning. They even said that when looking at my car , my diff is fine, transmission etc. So there is no physical damage to anything. Have you guys ever experienced this? looking for any type of help I can get, thanks

ps when getting my car lowered with airmatic lowering, I made the guy there plug into my car and check to see if he could see anything wrong. he said he could not tap directly into the software for the differential as he was telling me he would try updating it. it said differential malfunction. keep in mind there is no physical damage to anything. thanks guys
The following users liked this post:
abdulla63 (06-05-2023)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63 S
Originally Posted by serenityamg613
After getting a tune from Eurocharged, few weeks after I started getting this rear differential warning message that would come and go randomly.
It's the tune...100%. Welcome to the club.
WhiteKnight16 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:14 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by internet
It's the tune...100%. Welcome to the club.
any idea on how to get rid of this issue?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 PM

2018 E63 S
any idea on how to get rid of this issue?
Get a refund. Did it go into limp mode on the freeway?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:36 PM

2019 e63s
Get a refund. Did it go into limp mode on the freeway?
working on getting a refund already. and it goes into that mode at the most random times, when I start the car, freeway, backroads, its unpredictable. But what I meant was is there any way to stop this glitch from happening ? some info I can tell the dealer to do. I am probably gonna go with a Renntech tune after this.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 PM

2018 E63 S
working on getting a refund already. and it goes into that mode at the most random times, when I start the car, freeway, backroads, its unpredictable. But what I meant was is there any way to stop this glitch from happening ? some info I can tell the dealer to do. I am probably gonna go with a Renntech tune after this.
if they ****ed up your ecu you're just gonna have to own up to it with the dealer and have them re-flash known-good. it doesn't look good that the problem still exists when you go back to factory though. worst case scenario you'd have to buy a new ecu and those ain't cheap.

i've heard of the issue happening with other tunes too...including renntech.

any correlation with when it happens and whether or not ecomode is enabled?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 PM

2019 e63s
if they ****ed up your ecu you're just gonna have to own up to it with the dealer and have them re-flash known-good. it doesn't look good that the problem still exists when you go back to factory though. worst case scenario you'd have to buy a new ecu and those ain't cheap.

i've heard of the issue happening with other tunes too...including renntech.

any correlation with when it happens and whether or not ecomode is enabled?
really appreciate that info on it happening with other tunes. And funny enough, the dealer knows I tuned the car, but they are cool about it and are keeping this thing under warranty. when you say re flash, are you saying that there is a re flash the dealer that can do to the stock car to bring it completely back to factory? and should I tell them to focus on the ECU when they look tomorrow? just wanna have as much info as possible so we can potentially fix it before having to get a new ECU if we don't need one. I really appreciate your help.

also regarding your last question, it happens in every mode, although I mostly drive in race and sport +, I remember it happened on the highway once in comfort I wasnt even pressing the gas lol
Old 07-26-2019, 12:21 AM

2018 E63 S
they are cool about it and are keeping this thing under warranty.
they cannot outright void your warranty for the tune but if something goes awry with systems-possibly-affected-by-tuning-a-vehicle* you may see a whole new side of them. oh, and yes, they'll always be able to tell whether or not you've tuned the car. surely you don't think all those telemetry devices are solely used for value-added customer services?

* = yes, completely subjective, and entirely up to their own determination. all told, an ecu tune becomes an easy excuse to deny warranty work.

when you say re flash, are you saying that there is a re flash the dealer that can do to the stock car to bring it completely back to factory?
i'm not 100% certain but i would assume they'd have access to your stock firmware. paging @MuffinFlavored...he may know.

I remember it happened on the highway once in comfort I wasnt even pressing the gas lol
this adds validation to my ongoing assumption that the reason these tunes are ****ing **** up is based on sensors/electronics/controls surrounding eco mode...more specifically, whatever is leveraged to make the "sailing" observations.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
so, from my research:

1. just go to the dealer with your car flashed to stock. i ****ed up and went to the dealer with the tune on my car being cocky because i was told my service advisor would not flag it, so i didn't want to waste time + risk re-flashing ECU multiple times.
2. don't tell anybody you have a tune. i've heard rumors that service advisors and master techs get paid to rat out tunes + flag cars. everybody here swears their service advisor is their BFF/like family and if you slip the guy a C note, he'll stay hush hush for you. i personally (biased) think those days are dying and it's a much 'bigger' picture. shop foreman involved, service advisor manager involved for allowing service advisor + tech to ignore incremented flash counters, etc.

i did neither of those things and it cost me.

> when you say re flash, are you saying that there is a re flash the dealer that can do to the stock car to bring it completely back to factory?

i've heard all kinds of theories. i've heard when you go to the dealer, they can put your car on the bay for service, plug in their official mercedes tools to check "if your car needs updates", and immediately see if you've tampered with the ECU. i've also heard that isn't true. i've heard your car is auto-flagged, i've heard your car is not auto-flagged and it needs to be phoned in manually.

it's really a gray area. i've also been told sometimes a master tech needs to be involved to pull off not the "flash counter" of the ECU (which everybody claims is incremented and instantly voids your warranty, which is partially true) but also/instead some kind of "verification modification checksum" to tell if any part of the ECU has been overwritten/messed with.

it'd be interesting to see a legal court case backed by a lawyer to see what "proof" mercedes + dealer + service department turn over.

Last edited by MuffinFlavored; 07-26-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 AM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
so, from my research:

1. just go to the dealer with your car flashed to stock. i ****ed up and went to the dealer with the tune on my car being cocky because i was told my service advisor would not flag it, so i didn't want to waste time + risk re-flashing ECU multiple times.
2. don't tell anybody you have a tune. i've heard rumors that service advisors and master techs get paid to rat out tunes + flag cars.

i did neither of those things and it cost me.
LMAO. that's ridiculous. they really out to get us. well lets hope that doesn't happen to me hahaha. step 1 has been done. so according to them, the "service bulletin" on this issue said they need to replace some pins. where the pins were I have no idea, but as we know, that didn't work because my car is back at the dealer. What should I tell them to do specifically because it seems me and you know more than them.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LMAO. that's ridiculous. they really out to get us. well lets hope that doesn't happen to me hahaha. step 1 has been done. so according to them, the "service bulletin" on this issue said they need to replace some pins. where the pins were I have no idea, but as we know, that didn't work because my car is back at the dealer. What should I tell them to do specifically because it seems me and you know more than them.
for what it is worth, i have a tune and the only time i've ever gotten the rear diff message you are getting is when i've done some "dangerous" driving techniques

meaning

you know how our car has like, 10,000 systems to prevent a crash? i basically put some of those systems into the danger mode by cutting somebody off (not really, just like, squeezing into a tight spot), so the car goes into the mode where it is like "oh ****, let me not kill my (*******) passenger, let me cut power + apply the brakes" and it feels like it locks up the diff to try to prevent a crash

after a quick restart it goes away

knock on wood it has adapted to my driving style (or maybe ij ust know it'll do it now and i stopped risking my life and others) and it hasn't happened since. hard to say it is the tune.

were you given a mygenius to tune by any chance? i could compare your tune to mine if you were...
Old 07-26-2019, 12:38 AM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
for what it is worth, i have a tune and the only time i've ever gotten the rear diff message you are getting is when i've done some "dangerous" driving techniques

meaning

you know how our car has like, 10,000 systems to prevent a crash? i basically put some of those systems into the danger mode by cutting somebody off (not really, just like, squeezing into a tight spot), so the car goes into the mode where it is like "oh ****, let me not kill my (*******) passenger, let me cut power + apply the brakes" and it feels like it locks up the diff to try to prevent a crash

after a quick restart it goes away

knock on wood it has adapted to my driving style (or maybe ij ust know it'll do it now and i stopped risking my life and others) and it hasn't happened since. hard to say it is the tune.

were you given a mygenius to tune by any chance? i could compare your tune to mine if you were...
hahahaha makes sense. see I wish mine happened during those times. instead Ill just be cruising down the high way and the warning will come on. sometimes I won't notice it and ill get off the highway to do some fast side road driving. I go to floor it and nope the car wants to sway all over the lane because the differential doesn't even lock in a straight line. and I was not that would be helpful though. I can tell the dealer to keep their focus on the ecu etc..I just want this done and overwith lol.our cars are too new
Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM

e36s
same thing happens with mine

I have been dealing with the same issues on my 2019 e63s renntech HHT. Very annoying......have yet to get it figured out. I am in the middle of communicating with Renntech on how to resolve the issue. Frustrating.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by anesdawg
I have been dealing with the same issues on my 2019 e63s renntech HHT. Very annoying......have yet to get it figured out. I am in the middle of communicating with Renntech on how to resolve the issue. Frustrating.
frustrating forreal. Let me know what they tell you. Taking my car to the dealer again tomorrow for them to figure this out because at this point its just getting annoying. Ill update you with any info.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 E63s
This sounds kinda like the issue I encountered with my Renntech HHT. When I did take my car to the dealer the code they found was CODE P002477. I haven’t had a chance to go back to stage 1 yet so I don’t know if I will encounter the issue again :/ .
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

frustrating forreal. Let me know what they tell you. Taking my car to the dealer again tomorrow for them to figure this out because at this point its just getting annoying. Ill update you with any info.
just flash it back to stock?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 GLE63S Coupe, 2018 E63s
Relatable issue

Hey there, I am tuned from EC as well and have downpipes and turbos as well.
I have seen this fault and realized the whole rear diff itself has to be changed.
The cap being replaced did not resolve the issue.
I then, keep Auto start/stop off, tracked the car at Cayuga 20-30 passes in a row. No issues so far!
Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Meeru
I have seen this fault and realized the whole rear diff itself has to be changed.
I then, keep Auto start/stop off, tracked the car at Cayuga 20-30 passes in a row. No issues so far!
what’s your quarter mile or 100-200kmh or 60-130mph time with downpipes + turbos?

how much was diff replacement?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by Meeru
hey bro, how u doing. I remember seeing you haha
Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 PM

2019 e63s
differential fluid was my culprit. sh** was pretty much dark black when I changed it. car been running fine now for 2 days
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM

2018 E63 S
car been running fine now for 2 days
with stock brains or tuned version?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:56 AM

e36s
mine works perfectly in stock mode, no issues ever. The warning comes up 100% of the time when loading the Renntech Tune and the engine goes into limp mode about 3-4 days later. Switch back to stock and back to no issues and normal car.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG-S
Having the same issues

Has the issue been rectified. My E63S started having this issued about 6 months to a year after I had the car. Did anyone figure it out or is the only way around it is to remove the tune?
Old 04-25-2021, 03:38 PM

e36s
Originally Posted by croix71
Has the issue been rectified. My E63S started having this issued about 6 months to a year after I had the car. Did anyone figure it out or is the only way around it is to remove the tune?

I contacted Renntech and shipped it back to them. They had an updated tune. They also recommended that I take it back to the dealer for a firmware update. After doing those two things, the HHT has worked perfectly since.
Cylinder Head (04-25-2021)
Old 07-14-2022, 12:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wanted to check if anyone was able to resolve this ?

I’ve had same problem before the tune maybe once a week about after tune my elsd warning keeps coming up , I can’t seem to notice any difference with driving but it’s definitely anything to see , is my diff shot ?
I know one guy fixed with rentech update , I have asked my tuner and he is not aware of this issues .

thanks