E63S wagon rattletrap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E63S AMG wagon
E63S wagon rattletrap?

Hi All:

I’m fairly knew to the E63S scene, having come from a Macan Turbo and various BMW M and Audi RS cars. I’m impressed with the athletic capabilities of such a big family car. I really want to love this car, but I am finding myself put off by the number of rattles this car evidences over rough pavement. I have the acoustic package but the road noise is still there - that’s to be expected with wide, low profile extreme summer rubber. What is unwelcome is the resonance - the thousand little things that seem to rattle over bumps and rough pavement that make the car feel “tinny” and poorly assembled. The wagon body of course is a big echo chamber, but my Macan was a fairly big hatchback and didn’t suffer the same maladies in the least - it was tomb-like over 50k miles. Tracking down the origin of these sounds is difficult because the sounds are so numerous. Is this the way all these cars sound? It’s not bad over single bumps in any suspension setting, but when there are numerous little shocks, like from corrugated pavement, the sounds rise to a cacophony. Are my expectations too high for a reasonably quiet interior? Short of ripping everything out and dynamating all body panels, is there anything I can do? I want to keep this car but there is no way I can deal with this for long.

Any help is is greatly appreciated!

beer brewer
Old 08-12-2019, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by beer brewer
Hi All:

I’m fairly knew to the E63S scene, having come from a Macan Turbo and various BMW M and Audi RS cars. I’m impressed with the athletic capabilities of such a big family car. I really want to love this car, but I am finding myself put off by the number of rattles this car evidences over rough pavement. I have the acoustic package but the road noise is still there - that’s to be expected with wide, low profile extreme summer rubber. What is unwelcome is the resonance - the thousand little things that seem to rattle over bumps and rough pavement that make the car feel “tinny” and poorly assembled. The wagon body of course is a big echo chamber, but my Macan was a fairly big hatchback and didn’t suffer the same maladies in the least - it was tomb-like over 50k miles. Tracking down the origin of these sounds is difficult because the sounds are so numerous. Is this the way all these cars sound? It’s not bad over single bumps in any suspension setting, but when there are numerous little shocks, like from corrugated pavement, the sounds rise to a cacophony. Are my expectations too high for a reasonably quiet interior? Short of ripping everything out and dynamating all body panels, is there anything I can do? I want to keep this car but there is no way I can deal with this for long.

Any help is is greatly appreciated!

beer brewer
First thing is to remove the plastic storage case under age rear compartment, check your tire pressures, remove sunglasses rattling in the upper console and side pockets..

My wagon is about as quite as any luxury car I've been in..14,000 mi. so far..
The following users liked this post:
cyclrder (12-08-2021)
Old 08-12-2019, 06:49 PM

2018 E63S AMG wagon
Thank you sir:

Yes, I’ve already removed the plastic basket, I don’t put glasses in the sunglasses holder in the upper console, and I’ve lowered tire pressures to 37/35. There’s literally no cargo in the car that can rattle. I feel like every mating surface needs a coat of felt!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you sir:

Yes, I’ve already removed the plastic basket, I don’t put glasses in the sunglasses holder in the upper console, and I’ve lowered tire pressures to 37/35. There’s literally no cargo in the car that can rattle. I feel like every mating surface needs a coat of felt!
Your pressures are too low on such a heavy car.
Check your rear door panels I did notice a gap in mine, with a quick smack they popped in place.
cyclrder (03-17-2021)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:43 PM

2018 E63S AMG wagon
I am going to reinflate the tires to appropriate pressures; I’ve been chasing these rattles and thus wanted to turn the tires to sponges while doing so. All the door panels are tight against the door frames. The Burmester speaker grills and the rear sunshades rattle like a timpani drum when whacking the door panels. The metal seat controls, while pretty, also seem to rattle when shaken manually. Looks like I might have found some answers...
ronin amg (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
I made a thread before ordering my wagon: https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...s-rattles.html

I ordered it anyway. A Panamera would never rattle like this...but those are not The Hammer.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
One rattley bit that bugs the crap out of me seems to be the seatbelt holder on the B pillar. You can adjust, slide it up and down a little, but mine continues to rattle on and off. It’s not constant and the same bump doesn’t reproduce it all the time but it’s fairly recurrent to the point that even my wife who doesn’t normally hear those things noticed it when she’s driving. I thought it was just the driver’s side but the other day I was sitting in the passenger seat and heard the rattle over my right shoulder. Yeah it bugs me on a $120k car but it is a part that they probably use on their cheapest bargain car for what it’s worth.
Correct_Map (12-07-2021)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 526 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
That was one of the reasons I got rid of mine. In Florida the car was ok, but in Rhode Island it was a very unpleasant car to drive with the horrible roads. My E450 Wagon is much more nice to drive around New England.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

2018 E63S AMG wagon
Hi Guys:

Thank you for the responses so far. I've ordered some krytox weatherstrip dressing as I think the rubber might need some rejuvination - we'll see. The rear cargo cover is suspect so I think I'll try removing that, too. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the Burmester speaker grills without taking the door panels off, unfortunately. I'd love to get back behind them and put some felt in there. My commute has me going over some corrugated road surfaces being prepped for new pavement and it's like driving a snare drum, lol. I even put a big pad of felt behind the rear license plate in hopes that it may help. This is nuts!

Thanks again,

beer brewer
Old 08-14-2019, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe it's time for relocation to Southern California, nice canyon roads, long stretches of open highway and you can take an hours drive to winter if you like...just sayin
S63AMG888 (12-07-2021)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2021 GLE450
Oh no! I am waiting to pick up my E63 wagon and will go nuts if it rattles excessively. I have had a few MB's and they have generally been pretty solid and rattle-free. However, this is my first AMG. I hope mine will be ok.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sixpaqs
Oh no! I am waiting to pick up my E63 wagon and will go nuts if it rattles excessively. I have had a few MB's and they have generally been pretty solid and rattle-free. However, this is my first AMG. I hope mine will be ok.
Don't worry, no rattles to worry about.. 14,000 mi. so far and my only complaint is eating tires..
S63AMG888 (12-07-2021)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 PM

2018 E63S AMG wagon
I don’t want to demotivate anybody for sure. I’m sure most cars are absolutely fine. Mine happens to be a bad apple, sad to say. Roads in the northeast are brutal and I’m sure that has a great deal to do with it. I’ve just never had a car that was this unbuttoned on broken pavement. I’m looking into options for stuffing insulation and felt into every nook and cranny
Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don’t want to demotivate anybody for sure. I’m sure most cars are absolutely fine. Mine happens to be a bad apple, sad to say. Roads in the northeast are brutal and I’m sure that has a great deal to do with it. I’ve just never had a car that was this unbuttoned on broken pavement. I’m looking into options for stuffing insulation and felt into every nook and cranny
If they are that bad take it back to the dealership and have them fix each and every one, I would..
JODE63 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
I am on conference calls when in my '19 wagon fairly regularly and I also have the acoustic package. Much to my dismay, sometimes voices cause what sounds like a vibration out of the door speakers. I've not been able to track that down and cannot tell if it is mechanical (does not seem to be) or the basic audio issue I created another thread about. Otherwise, it's generally pretty quiet save for a light vibration somewhere in the driver door on certain surfaces that I've been unable to locate... taking these things to the dealer is challenging because they cannot be reproduced at will. :/

-j
Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG E63s

I too live in the northeast--I have a 19 sedan with the acoustic deadening package also. During the spring a large stretch of road by me had that same corrugated grooved surface awaiting final tar coat/pavement--I could not drive the car over 10 mph. The vibration and noise was unbearable. While I absolutely love this car in many ways it was not made for most NE roads especially in and around NYC. There is a constant hum from the tires that resonates inside the car and it hates small road aberrations and the patchwork done after the roads in the NE have been destroyed during the winter months. It doesn't improve much in comfort mode either. I run my tire pressures about 4lbs lower in front than suggested and 3lbs lower in the rear. This helps a bit. The air dampening suspension system is just not up to the task--the suspension hits small bumps and road imperfections in a hard and violent matter. My Porsche Turbo is noisy inside but it has a much softer compliant ride under similar conditions. I feel the bumps in the Porsche but impact is much softer and the vibrations aren't transferred into the cabin. I don't have any rattles in the E63s per se but I have only had the car since Feb.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E63s
I also have the acoustic comfort option and also had some rattling in the door with certain frequencies of music and calls. I brought it back to the dealer and the shop foreman used a YouTube video that goes through all audio frequencies to find the problem and identified it ; they took the door a part and re installed some felt . This fixed the issue ..
b0rderman (08-16-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by HappE63s
I also have the acoustic comfort option and also had some rattling in the door with certain frequencies of music and calls. I brought it back to the dealer and the shop foreman used a YouTube video that goes through all audio frequencies to find the problem and identified it ; they took the door a part and re installed some felt . This fixed the issue ..
By chance do you have a link to what he used? I tried an app to do a sweep, but was unsuccessful in reproducing it that way.

-j
Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 PM

2018 E63S AMG wagon
Just by way of comparison, I test drove a 2018 Porsche Panamera turbo yesterday. Granted, not a wagon, but a big hatchback. I drove it over some of the same roads I drive with my E63. The Panamera was fitted with 21” wheels. Result - bank-vault solidity. No rattles. Nothing. On all suspension settings. Good Lord I was tempted to buy it. I still prefer the wagon as it’s a better body style for me, and I prefer the Mercedes engine, it’s just better hands down. But man, I can’t get over the cabin noise in my car. Taking it to the dealer this week and hopefully they can work some magic on it.
Justinya007 (12-07-2021)
Old 08-18-2019, 01:00 AM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by Sixpaqs
Don't sweat it... you will love the car. I just got home from long road trip and loved every mile. Perhaps my Pirelli's are a bit noisy, perhaps I don't crank the stereo loud enough... but that engine, the handling, and the sublime planted feeling of this car will keep a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Enjoy... you live once.

Last edited by 24Hours; 08-18-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: my spelling is **** sometimes
S63AMG888 (12-07-2021)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by 24Hours
Don't sweat it... you will love the car. I just got home from long road trip and loved every mile. Perhaps my Pirelli's are a bit noisy, perhaps I don't crank the stereo loud enough... but that engine, the handling, and the sublime planted feeling of this car will keep a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Enjoy... you live once.

Thanks! I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Just by way of comparison, I test drove a 2018 Porsche Panamera turbo yesterday. Granted, not a wagon, but a big hatchback. I drove it over some of the same roads I drive with my E63. The Panamera was fitted with 21” wheels. Result - bank-vault solidity. No rattles. Nothing. On all suspension settings. Good Lord I was tempted to buy it. I still prefer the wagon as it’s a better body style for me, and I prefer the Mercedes engine, it’s just better hands down. But man, I can’t get over the cabin noise in my car. Taking it to the dealer this week and hopefully they can work some magic on it.
It’s not just your car. I left MB after 3 consecutive E class AMGs because my last one was so full of rattles that I couldn’t stand it. And just like yours, there were so many coming from every corner that I just couldn’t isolate them. I too enjoy the AMG motor but I’m so much more impressed with the build quality of some of the other brands that I won’t miss it for long.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 E63s Estate
as a point of reference, my 2018 has no rattles at all. i have about 6,000 miles on it and it is rattle free. i have not even removed the plastic trunk tray. my only real complaint is the road noise on some surfaces. i live in Texas and we have many of these "chip and seal" roads that are super rough. just deafening while on those surfaces... almost need earplugs, but would not change a thing due to the performance the tires deliver when i want it.
ronin amg (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG E63s
I totally agree with your statements @David Bogle--deafening road noise/rumble on chip and seal and patched tarmac but no rattles at 3,500 miles--All said, performance of this car and the drama of the pops and crackles from the exhaust trump all those minor noise and vibration annoyances. My biggest complaint is the infotainment system--love the screens but MB should be shot for selling a car of this caliber with a totally un-userfriendly interface.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1986 420SEL 2020 AMG E63s Wagon
Fixed my rattle

After picking up a 2020 wagon last month, I was hearing rattles over rough patches coming from the rear passenger side. I found this thread and started the investigation. I zeroed in on the hatch to the storage/equipment compartment. In particular, the right side where there is a piece of plastic that the hatch rests on when closed. I happened to have a big piece of sound/shock absorbing fabric from a recent delivery and cut strips to fold/roll up and put as much as I could between the plastic piece and the metal. I then took the remaining piece, which was a small blanket size, and lined the compartment and folded up a double layer on the edges to go around hatch (cut a niche out for latch) and placed the storage tray back on top. I then Made some adjustments and closed the hatch gently...It worked! Zero rattles on the roads I had rattled around on the day before. I plan to clean up the installation and use some double sided tape, etc. but this has changed the car! I’m in the northeast so I’m glad I could figure this out so quickly... Please let me know if anyone reading this wants to see some pictures in case you suspect this is the source of your rattle. So pumped to have fixed the hot rod wagon without going to the dealer!
The following 3 users liked this post by 420tapedeck:
E634Me (03-16-2021), imack (03-16-2021), ronin amg (03-16-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63S wagon rattletrap?