$15,000 A-Service.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
$15,000 A-Service.

The SA estimated my prepaid A-service cost MB $15,000. They discovered a bit of oil seepage. (The car never spilled a drop on the garage floor.) The fix:

Oil leaking from engine upper oil pan near front differential area; unable to determine source of oil leak. Cleaned off oil, reinstalled gravel shields, added engine oil dye. Performed overnight road test. Removed gravel shields. Found engine upper oil pan leaking oil.
Drained engine coolant and transmission cooling circuit. Drained low-temperature cooling circuit. Drained engine oil. Evacuated and recovered AC refrigerant. Disconnected battery. Removed front wheels. Removed front inner wheel well liners. Removed front bumper. Removed front brake calipers. Removed front axles. Removed left and right engine oil coolers. Removed upper radiator support. Removed engine cooling fan assembly. Removed engine and transmission along with front sub-frame. Removed both catalytic converters. Removed front drive shaft. Removed front differential. Remove engine from sub-frame and mounted on engine stand. Removed charge air coolers from front of engine. Removed poly belts. Removed AC compressor. Removed alternator. Removed engine flywheel. Removed engine rear main seal and plate. Removed front crank pulley. Removed front crank seal and cover. Removed engine lower oil pan. Removed engine upper oil pan to inspect.
Found upper oil pan was not sealing properly on the right side. Cleaned and resealed upper oil pan. Reassembled engine. Reinstalled engine and transmission to sub-frame. Reassembled car.
Filled and bled engine cooling circuit. Filled and bled low-temperature cooling circuit. Filled engine oil. Replaced AC receiver drier and filled AC refrigerant.
Rechecked. Found oil leaking from front crank seal after approximately 20 minutes after engine startup. Removed wheels. Removed front wheel well liners. Removed front bumper. Removed upper radiator support. Removed radiator radiator fan assembly. Drained engine cooling circuit. Removed low-temperature cooling circuit. Removed charge air coolers. Removed poly belts. Removed front crank pulley. Found seal rolled and is leaking.
Ordered special tool for installing front crank seal.
Installed new front crank seal and plate. Reassembled car.
Filled and bled low-temperature cooling circuit and engine cooling circuit. Performed extensive overnight road test. Good.
Sent car to alignment and suspension calibration.
Pressure sensor wires were damaged during repair. Repaired wiring and pin connector for left intake manifold pressure sensor.

I will NEVER own an AMG without a warranty in effect.
The following users liked this post:
NewYorker555 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
That sounds like overkill on the repair, I would say the dealer is taking the **** cause they can.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
That sounds like overkill on the repair, I would say the dealer is taking the **** cause they can.
I don't know. I think the mother ship wants some clear documentation of the leak to allow it. The dealer would never do it if they weren't sure of getting paid by MB.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by whoover
I don't know. I think the mother ship wants some clear documentation of the leak to allow it. The dealer would never do it if they weren't sure of getting paid by MB.
Yeah I’m sure MB is not keen on forking up the cash for these types of bills without due documentation. Otherwise every other small town dealer who’s business in slowing down can rack up a warranty repair like that a couple times a month.

Totally agree with Whoover. I design my ownership process of those cars around warranty time. Scary.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:05 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Originally Posted by whoover
I dont know how it works with some of these stealerships but you might find that the volume of work that would get put under the nose of the MB warranty division that a few rippers would get through, Im sure if they know that they would be pricing high then cutting it back if knocked back, Im sure if you were paying for it it would be less and they would not go through as much R&R to fix a leak on the oil pan, would you pay $15000 for a minor oil leak?.

I think you could do it all on a hoist with a engine stay across the engine bay, then by dropping the cross member down enough or out to remove the pan, even if they dropped the trans, taking the whole front of the car off seems a bit overkill to me, I know the engine is tight, but the underneath is not bad if you had the cross member out of the way
Old 11-28-2019, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Fuuuuck that is a crazy one.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG Wagon
Something to remember...Most aftermarket warranties will NOT provide any compensation for a leaking seal.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
Probably took as long to enter that into the billing system as it did to do the work.

If they could bill for taking off their shoes:

Sat down.
Reached down
Grasped the shoestring on my right shoe.
Applied moderate pulling force to the shoestring on my right shoe.
Observed the effect of my moderate pulling force to the shoestring on my right shoe.
Redirected my attention to my left shoe.
Reached down
Grasped the shoestring on my left shoe.
Applied moderate pulling force to the shoestring on my left shoe.
Observed the effect of my moderate pulling force to the shoestring on my left shoe.
Made a mental note that both of my shoes were now sufficiently untied.
Reached down
Grasped the heal of my right shoe.
Applied moderate pulling force to the heal of my right shoe.
Observed the effect of my moderate pulling force to the heal on my right shoe.
Placed right shoe on the floor in my closet.
Redirected my attention to my left shoe.
Reached down
Grasped the heal on my left shoe.
Applied moderate pulling force to the heal on my left shoe.
Observed the effect of my moderate pulling force to the heal on my left shoe.
Placed left shoe on the floor in my closet next to the right shoe.
Made a mental note that both of my shoes were now sufficiently taken off and placed in my closet to be worn tomorrow.
Prepared invoice for $15,000.00.

The following 2 users liked this post by usc96:
dowheelies (12-07-2019), imack (12-07-2019)