Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 07:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
Gas mileage

I realize these cars are not built for efficiency...MB does, however, program them with cylinder shot off, right? That should account for something on long road trips where constant speed is maintained for long stretches. I've read some articles and seen some video reviews that say the car is OK, other that is it a gas guzzler, which one is it? I also assume those people, because they're reviewing it, don't give the car a chance to be driven at, for example, 75 MPH for 200 miles without punching it a few times, so those reviews won't represent a possible reality.

What kind of gas mileage do you guys see in long trips? What model is your car?
Old 01-29-2021, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by pocholin
I realize these cars are not built for efficiency...MB does, however, program them with cylinder shot off, right? That should account for something on long road trips where constant speed is maintained for long stretches. I've read some articles and seen some video reviews that say the car is OK, other that is it a gas guzzler, which one is it? I also assume those people, because they're reviewing it, don't give the car a chance to be driven at, for example, 75 MPH for 200 miles without punching it a few times, so those reviews won't represent a possible reality.

What kind of gas mileage do you guys see in long trips? What model is your car?
On road trips I get around 21 mpg in my E63. The 4-cylinder mode and coast mode are more effective at saving gas around town. At highway speeds you're normally using all 8 cylinders. On gentle sweeping down slopes on the highway I have seen coast come on at times, but it's rare. It's even rarer because the adaptive cruise control disables coast (but does allow 4-cylinder mode).
Old 01-29-2021, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 607 Likes on 346 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
I've seen upto 26 mpg on some long highway stretches with distronic set to 65 mph, comfort mode with occasionally in 4 cylinder coasting at 1400-1600 rpm. This was over 80 mile highway drive, I averaged 20 mpg for the entire trip.

Around town I am lucky if it gets averages 14 mpg in C. In S+, I average about 8 mpg.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Depends upon whether you're using Distronic cruise control and whether you're in Comfort mode or not.

In Comfort mode, and maybe Sport mode - don't know, never used Sport mode, the engine can switch to 4-cylinder mode and also use coasting mode - if you aren't using cruise control.

But who doesn't use cruise control on a long trip? For some reason it seems that both 4-cylinder mode and coasting mode are not used when cruise control is enabled.

I drove cross-country from Germantown Maryland to San Diego and averaged a bit over 18 MPG. Initially due to a problem with the camera calibration following a windshield replacement I was using plain vanilla cruise control without adaptive speed following. Was keeping the speed down to the limit +5 MPH or so till around Nashville where I had the rear diff serviced at the 2,000 mile mark. Averaged a bit over 20 MPG for that stretch as I recall. The dealer in Nashville attempted to recalibrate the cameras but totally botched the job and ended up screwing up all calibrations on the car and I left the dealer with no active Distronic controls, not even basic cruise control.

From Nashville to Dallas I drove completely manually. Picked up the speed a bit and the countryside was a bit flatter and mileage was doing reasonably well until I had several extended high speed burns through some open stretches. But still was averaging around 20 MPG. Due to getting my windshield smashed by a big rock near Little Rock, AK, I had to have the windshield replaced again when I got to Dallas. This time the dealer was able to properly recalibrate the car and all my Distronic features were reenabled.

As Texas speed limits are higher, speed picked up a little more the rest of the way to SD. Mileage dropped down to something over 18 MPG for the trip. Overall all I was really pleased with the car during the drive and absent the drama over the broken windshield it was a great trip. The tank is smaller than my motorhome so you do need to stop for fuel more often, but by the time I needed fuel I was usually ready for a break and some food or coffee anyway.

Around town on my 4 mile commute to work and back - when I was going to the office - and general short errands here and there, the car averages around 12 MPG in town. If I drive a bit further and get do do any highway driving the mileage climbs to over 16 MPG. On the trips up to Laguna Nigel up the 5 to visit family we can eek out 20 MPG when traffic is decent.

Not complaining at all about the mileage. I only have 16,500 miles on the car in three years so gas bills aren't a big deal. When I drive it, I enjoy it and put my foot in it as desired without worrying about the next gas stop.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E63S
I really wish you could use cruise control and 4 cylinder mode. Who’s gonna take long road trips and not use cruise control? You should be able to force the car into 4 cylinder mode also via a button or eco setting. Yes I realize gas mileage is not a priority on this car but every other car has this. I don’t need all 600 hp cruising the highway most times.
The following users liked this post:
SpydrMnky (08-06-2024)
Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 PM

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
2020 AMG E63S Wagon, 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
Originally Posted by raudiace4
I've seen upto 26 mpg on some long highway stretches...
I've seen similar numbers under similar conditions.

Regarding glide/coast mode, I don't think it is truly disabled when cruising, it is just that the conditions to trigger it are never present (I know, splitting hairs...). While there are some pre-conditions that need to be satisfied for glide/coast (see manual snippets below), but "not being in cruise" is not mentioned. To get glide/coast to activate, you need to go from fairly heavy pedal pressure to no pedal pressure in very short order. If you (or the cruise control program) eases into no pedal pressure, the engine switches to 4-cylinder mode, and once it is in 4-cylinder mode it will not switch to coast. As cruise invariably eases off the gas, you'll never see glide/coast while cruising.

Not allowing a 4-cylinder to glide/coast transition seems idiotic to me, but that is what I have observed through testing.

Ivan MacKenzie.
The following users liked this post:
raudiace4 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by imack

Regarding glide/coast mode, I don't think it is truly disabled when cruising, it is just that the conditions to trigger it are never present (I know, splitting hairs...). While there are some pre-conditions that need to be satisfied for glide/coast (see manual snippets below), but "not being in cruise" is not mentioned. To get glide/coast to activate, you need to go from fairly heavy pedal pressure to no pedal pressure in very short order. If you (or the cruise control program) eases into no pedal pressure, the engine switches to 4-cylinder mode, and once it is in 4-cylinder mode it will not switch to coast. As cruise invariably eases off the gas, you'll never see glide/coast while cruising.

Not allowing a 4-cylinder to glide/coast transition seems idiotic to me, but that is what I have observed through testing.

Ivan MacKenzie.
No, it's disabled with Distronic on, for safety. If someone cuts you off, the car doesn't want to waste milliseconds reengaging the drive drain if evasive maneuvers are required.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Hiflyin20
I really wish you could use cruise control and 4 cylinder mode. Who’s gonna take long road trips and not use cruise control? You should be able to force the car into 4 cylinder mode also via a button or eco setting. Yes I realize gas mileage is not a priority on this car but every other car has this. I don’t need all 600 hp cruising the highway most times.
I have seen 4-cylinder mode in cruise often. It's only glide mode that's disabled by Distronic.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S
I average single digits city (close to 6-8mpg), 12-14 suburbs, and 18 on the highway. I am almost always on race mode. I tested a 90 mile trip using comfort mode and it was 22-23 mpg, so it only saved 4-5mpg compared to the performance modes.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E63S
Strange. I commute daily and have never seen it with cruise on. Comfort mode, start/stop on. It only works for me with cruise off and moderate speeds.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 526 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I think there is a bug in the 2018 models not running in 4 cylinder mode with Distronic. Mine would do it if in 4 Cylinder mode and Distronic was engaged it would stay in 4 cylinder mode until you hit the slightest uphill and then it would not go back into 4 cylinder mode again as long as Distronic was turned on. The one thing that was missed on that list with Glide mode was if a car is in front of you at a certain distance following the car it wont allow glide mode. I guess this is a safety feature so you don't glide into somebodies rear bumper.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 607 Likes on 346 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by imack

Ivan MacKenzie.
That's good info! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
Thanks for the replies, it is interesting to see how MB has missed a few opportunities to make this vehicle a little more efficient. Coasting/gliding is a small trick only when you're off the gas so it cannot add much savings. Cylinder deactivation is indeed a better option but it seems like the parameters are very restrictive to make it worth something.

Savings in gasoline costs are mostly peace of mind for some people, it could only mean $700 on 14k miles/year between a vehicle that averages 24 MPG and this one at 18.

If I compare my 14k mile a year real average (city mostly) on my Volvo V90 wagon @ 20 MPG to let's say a 12 MPG average on the E63S...it is about $2,000 in one year. $170/mo for added fun, prestige and ego boost...not bad
Calculations are based on a cost of $3.59/gal for Premium gas.

If I really get heavy on the gas, I've seen my 4 cyl Volvo give 8.5 MPG avg after 50 miles, so this little 2 lt engine can easily be persuaded to sip gas like a V8! (but it is also able to average 30 MPG at 80 MPH) Another reason why I am not concerned if I bought a gently used E63 wagon, 2018 or above.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by pocholin
Thanks for the replies, it is interesting to see how MB has missed a few opportunities to make this vehicle a little more efficient. Coasting/gliding is a small trick only when you're off the gas so it cannot add much savings. Cylinder deactivation is indeed a better option but it seems like the parameters are very restrictive to make it worth something.

Savings in gasoline costs are mostly peace of mind for some people, it could only mean $700 on 14k miles/year between a vehicle that averages 24 MPG and this one at 18.

If I compare my 14k mile a year real average (city mostly) on my Volvo V90 wagon @ 20 MPG to let's say a 12 MPG average on the E63S...it is about $2,000 in one year. $170/mo for added fun, prestige and ego boost...not bad
Calculations are based on a cost of $3.59/gal for Premium gas.

If I really get heavy on the gas, I've seen my 4 cyl Volvo give 8.5 MPG avg after 50 miles, so this little 2 lt engine can easily be persuaded to sip gas like a V8! (but it is also able to average 30 MPG at 80 MPH) Another reason why I am not concerned if I bought a gently used E63 wagon, 2018 or above.
FWIW, I clearly get more benefit from glide mode than 4-cyl. There are a few gentle down-sloping roads that I travel. Some are in town and a few on freeways. I prepare for them by adding another 10 mph as I approach them and then "kick" into glide mode at their starts. (A gentle tap on the gas and abrupt release of the gas puts it in glide mode). Because the drivetrain is disconnected, frictional losses are minimized and I can go at least a mile before I've lost about 15 mph and reengage the drive train. Do that 10 or 12 times and you save a gallon of fuel. Of course, if there's traffic that you have to brake for you're SOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoover:
imack (01-30-2021), pocholin (01-30-2021)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2021 e63 s
Just wanted to chime in that I did about 270 miles using cruise/distronic/comfort on a ‘21 e63s wagon, averaged 27mpg+, did the trip in less than a half a tank. Initial estimate said ~450 range on a full tank but by the end of the trip it said I’d gained ~70 miles of range.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 526 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Wow that e63 sounds like it gets a lot better mileage than the 2018 that I use to have. Best I could get out of that car was around 20 mpg. Your mileage is more like around what I get with my v6 with my 2019 e450 wagon.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:02 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
21 E63s wagon
The longest trip I did was from Boston to DC during the middle winter with the winter tires on and I was able to average 24 mpg. I got to around 420 miles on the tank before I decided to fill it up. I think I could’ve gone 450 miles or a bit more if I pushed it. Most of the driving was in comfort mode with a few spurts of sport or sport +. Really reasonable gas mileage given the type of car this is.