Sponsored by:

Wheel Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 09:07 AM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2021 GLE580, 2022 BMW X5, 2022 911GTS Incoming
Wheel Damage

I had all seasons installed by my dealer and they scratched each barrel taking of the old wheel weights. I can't believe this happened. They want to refinish all the wheels. I am undecided how I am going to handle this. I prefer new wheels but they are not going to do that. I have a feeling getting them refinished is just going to open up a can of worms. I have never had new wheels refinished and if they do not look factory I am going to reject the fix. I want to speak with the service manager and see what he is willing to offer on new wheels. I do not have the time or energy to get a lawyer and go that route. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 591 Likes on 403 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by ENCT
I had all seasons installed by my dealer and they scratched each barrel taking of the old wheel weights. I can't believe this happened. They want to refinish all the wheels. I am undecided how I am going to handle this. I prefer new wheels but they are not going to do that. I have a feeling getting them refinished is just going to open up a can of worms. I have never had new wheels refinished and if they do not look factory I am going to reject the fix. I want to speak with the service manager and see what he is willing to offer on new wheels. I do not have the time or energy to get a lawyer and go that route. Any input would be appreciated.
It doesn't look like they removed the old weight adhesive, but it's hard to tell from this photo. Since the wheel is black, I would be more inclined to have it refinished and color-matched. The spoke surface should not be affected.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:35 AM

They are scratched. They are going to strip the wheels down to bare aluminum and redo all areas of the wheels with the exception of the center caps. My selling dealer tells me the original wheels are painted and that the powder coating will actually be stronger. My concern is that the center caps may not match, I suppose if this is the case its in the dealers hands to remedy.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
18 E63S, 22 etron GT
That's a bummer. There are some really good wheel repair guys out there that can make it look good as new. They should be able to just fix the scratched areas, not the whole barrel and face of the wheels.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grayblack
That's a bummer. There are some really good wheel repair guys out there that can make it look good as new. They should be able to just fix the scratched areas, not the whole barrel and face of the wheels.
That's my concern. Part of me just wants to have the area touched up and call it a day. Now I read that powder coating at high temperatures can cause the wheel to become brittle.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon, 2014 BMW M5
I've had lots of wheels in my life. Ask for a new set of wheels. If that doesn't work, simply have them touched up only in the scratched areas. Too superficial to redo (destroy) each entire wheel. They won't be perfect in those areas but at least the wheels will be original.

If you insist on having them totally redone, have them do a single color like all black or all silver.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography
Damage looks minor. I would just get a good wheel repair guy with good ratings. They will likely just sand the area of concern and color match. Will look new and you won’t even be able to see where it was. I had a pretty bad curb rash on polished aluminum wheels on my bmw. I was told by dealer that it wasn’t repairable since they weren’t painted wheels and would require a whole new wheel. I took a chance with a repair guy and he charged me only 150. He grinded off the road rash portion and was able to match and blend in what looked to be polished aluminum. Couldn’t even tell the wheel was ever damaged. I included before and after photos and you can see how good these guys are. The only evidence where it occurred was where you can see a small chunk of the tire wall missing.

Last edited by utsteve98; 07-31-2021 at 11:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by utsteve98:
Drewsky00 (08-01-2021), E634Me (07-31-2021)

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts
car
Originally Posted by ENCT
That's my concern. Part of me just wants to have the area touched up and call it a day. Now I read that powder coating at high temperatures can cause the wheel to become brittle.
Don't over think this. Powdercoating temp is ~400F and for an extreme short amount of time to bake the powder. Aluminum embrittlement happens at over ~800F+ for a sustained duration.

Tons of people curb rash their wheels, and a top shop can do the repair, and spot the area and you cannot even tell the difference. I have become a pro getting my wife's wheels fixed for years. Just have a top notch wheel repair guy pull the wheels off, "spot" the area and be done. It should not take more than 2-3 hours. Powdercoating will disable your car for several days and include more auto gymnastics by your careless dealer... Just not worth it on the inside of a wheel.

Last edited by Igooz; 07-31-2021 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
E634Me (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Igooz
Don't over think this. Powdercoating temp is ~400F and for an extreme short amount of time to bake the powder. Aluminum embrittlement happens at over ~800F+ for a sustained duration.

Tons of people curb rash their wheels, and a top shop can do the repair, and spot the area and you cannot even tell the difference. I have become a pro getting my wife's wheels fixed for years. Just have a top notch wheel repair guy pull the wheels off, "spot" the area and be done. It should not take more than 2-3 hours. Powdercoating will disable your car for several days and include more auto gymnastics by your careless dealer... Just not worth it on the inside of a wheel.
I agree with the auto gymnastics, I will pursue a repair.