Sponsored by:

When W214 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 366 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
So now the rumor is that due to lack of sales of the four banger C63S E PERFORMANCEUBERSEDAN, the CLE will be getting the M177. If that's the case, we might actually have a hope of a V8 E63.
The following users liked this post:
TR3B (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 520 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
So now the rumor is that due to lack of sales of the four banger C63S E PERFORMANCEUBERSEDAN, the CLE will be getting the M177. If that's the case, we might actually have a hope of a V8 E63.
If this is true and being applied to the W214 E63S as well, then there would be a significant delay in the introduction of it, probably needs at least 2 yrs of testing before it finally releases, meaning it could happen in the W214 general facelift years.

If they simply stuffed a hybrid V8 into the W214 E63S without doing any testing, I am sure there would be all sort of issues for the first production year.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 Maybach S650
Originally Posted by bobblehead
If they simply stuffed a hybrid V8 into the W214 E63S without doing any testing, I am sure there would be all sort of issues for the first production year.
I get the political reasons/necessity for producing a hybrid but as an enthusiast the last thing on God's green earth I want in a fast car is another 500 pounds of complexity, expense and batteries added into an already overly-complicated system for the sake of fuel economy. Hopefully MB is reading some of these comments. In case they are; If I want a hybrid, 4 banger or an EV, I'm shopping an entirely different car. If I'm shopping E63 and S class I'm looking at non-hybrid V8s and V12s. As for EVs, at my local MB dealer they have $25,000 off most of their EVs right now. Clearly nobody wants them (I don't and I don't know anyone who does). Conversely, whenever I roll in in a V8 or V12 Merc, they aggressively offer to buy it - presumably because they're desperate for inventory somebody might actually be interested in.

I don't know how long it takes to turn a ship the size of Mercedes around, but they're headed for an EV/Eco iceberg that's going to sink them. I just went looking for a new fun car and ended up buying a Blackwing Cadillac. It never crossed my mind even for a second to look at anything new Mercedes had to offer. That's how far off the rails they've gone.

Not to go too far off topic but if you're listening Mercedes, you guys need to go buy a manual CT5-V Blackwing and drive it. THAT'S the kind of thing AMG needs to be producing. Holy moly.

Last edited by TR3B; 05-14-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:02 AM

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
21 E63s wagon
Originally Posted by TR3B
I get the political reasons/necessity for producing a hybrid but as an enthusiast the last thing on God's green earth I want in a fast car is another 500 pounds of complexity, expense and batteries added into an already overly-complicated system for the sake of fuel economy. Hopefully MB is reading some of these comments. In case they are; If I want a hybrid, 4 banger or an EV, I'm shopping an entirely different car. If I'm shopping E63 and S class I'm looking at non-hybrid V8s and V12s. As for EVs, at my local MB dealer they have $25,000 off most of their EVs right now. Clearly nobody wants them (I don't and I don't know anyone who does). Conversely, whenever I roll in in a V8 or V12 Merc, they aggressively offer to buy it - presumably because they're desperate for inventory somebody might actually be interested in.

I don't know how long it takes to turn a ship the size of Mercedes around, but they're headed for an EV/Eco iceberg that's going to sink them. I just went looking for a new fun car and ended up buying a Blackwing Cadillac. It never crossed my mind even for a second to look at anything new Mercedes had to offer. That's how far off the rails they've gone.

Not to go too far off topic but if you're listening Mercedes, you guys need to go buy a manual CT5-V Blackwing and drive it. THAT'S the kind of thing AMG needs to be producing. Holy moly.
I love CT5-V Blackwing. I don’t know if you have an AMG or not, but if you do, how would you compare it to the Blackwing. It’s one of the few cars i would consider moving my E63s for if i ever wanted to try something new.
The following users liked this post:
TR3B (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 520 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
too bad the blackwing is available only in RWD. I would be interested if it is AWD and wagon form ... but it is wishful thinking for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobblehead:
sixfive (05-14-2024), TR3B (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 Maybach S650
Originally Posted by ska597
I love CT5-V Blackwing. I don’t know if you have an AMG or not, but if you do, how would you compare it to the Blackwing. It’s one of the few cars i would consider moving my E63s for if i ever wanted to try something new.
We have a 2023 E63 Wagon and a Renntech 2012 E63 Wagon. They're both awesome but the Blackwing is AMAZING. The manual in it is as good as it gets, the rev matching is like science fiction, it feels about a thousand pounds lighter than it actually is, the mag ride suspension is magical, there are physical buttons exactly where they should be and that LT4 absolutely rips. I've tried but its nearly impossible to find anything to be critical of. Maybe the 12v outlet placement? But seriously, that's it. The 5V Blackwing is perfection. Mercedes needs to drop one off at AMG and say "mach das".

The biggest thing the Blackwing has over the E63 is that thanks to the manual transmission, the Blackwing is engaging in a way the other cars aren't. It's simple and brilliant and well executed.

Last edited by TR3B; 05-14-2024 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TR3B:
bobblehead (05-14-2024), Cylinder Head (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
W213 2019 E63S, 2013 Ferrari 458 Spider, 2016 Corvette Z06, Others
Originally Posted by TR3B
We have a 2023 E63 Wagon and a Renntech 2012 E63 Wagon. They're both awesome but the Blackwing is AMAZING. The manual in it is as good as it gets, the rev matching is like science fiction, it feels about a thousand pounds lighter than it actually is, the mag ride suspension is magical, there are physical buttons exactly where they should be and that LT4 absolutely rips. I've tried but its nearly impossible to find anything to be critical of. Maybe the 12v outlet placement? But seriously, that's it. The 5V Blackwing is perfection. Mercedes needs to drop one off at AMG and say "mach das".

The biggest thing the Blackwing has over the E63 is that thanks to the manual transmission, the Blackwing is engaging in a way the other cars aren't. It's simple and brilliant and well executed.
I have a 2016 Z06 and that LT4 is a monster. The issue in the Z06 is getting that power to the pavement. The E63 is better set up in that regard and is much quicker from a dead stop as a result. The GM engineers are magicians when it comes to handling, however, and especially that of heavy cars. The Camaro and the Blackwing are amazing on a track and you can't believe that heavy a car would handle that well. Not that the W213 E63S is a slouch in that regard - it is extremely impressive as well. We are lucky to own such cars. Adding 800lb to them so you can say you have a hybrid will ruin them.

Last edited by Autodidact63; 05-14-2024 at 10:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Autodidact63:
Cylinder Head (05-15-2024), I.T. Guy (05-19-2024), TR3B (05-14-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BYD SONG
Couldn't agree more! The LT4 in the Blackwing is an absolute gem, and the combination of that potent engine with the slick manual transmission makes for an incredibly engaging driving experience. GM's engineers deserve major kudos for the chassis tuning and overall dynamics of the Blackwing, especially considering its heft. While the E63 has an edge in straight-line acceleration, the Blackwing's balance and poise through the turns is simply sublime. These are indeed glorious times for enthusiasts with such brilliant performance machines on offer from both brands.