Sponsored by:

Taking Delivery of a 2021 E63S in Selenite Gray Magno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 E63S
Taking Delivery of a 2021 E63S in Selenite Gray Magno

Hey everyone! Newcomer to the AMG family here. I am picking up my new to me E63S soon and I am very excited. I'm driving the car 1600kms home from the dealer. Not my preference, but they are forcing me to come sign the papers in person so might as well drive it home since I'm there.

Some things about the car...
Selenite Gray Magno paint
25K kms (1 year of warranty left)
Loaded with pretty much all options
PPF already done on some sections of the car
I will be getting an extended warranty for when this one expires

This is going to be my new daily driver family car, car seat going in the back and everything. I've been reading through this forum for the last week or so trying to get as much information as I can but would love any advice you guys have for my ownership. I do have some specific questions:
- I see that the Magno paint requires some special care when washing. Particular neutral soap and no waxing. I will be hand washing at home as much as I can, but I do need to know if this car is safe to take to wand washes and using the soap there, or if I should just spray it down with water to be safe?
- Is Graphene coating good to do on this paint? Graphene is wonderful, but I think it also adds some extra gloss so I'm not sure if Ceramic might be better on this specific paint.
- Does the 2021 E63S have wireless car play or only when plugged in? Can't remember what I read on this.
- I see there is a cap over the wheel lug nuts. Where is the tool for removing these located? I also saw a post about "butterfly lugs" with a special socket. Were these standard or an extra option? Just not sure what to expect when I pull these covers off.
- What kind of accessories should I expect to find in the car? Owners Manual, Infotainment manual and perfuming bottle in the glove box I assume, I think under the trunk I saw there is usually a foldable basket, cargo netting, tow hook, tire sealant and inflator. Anything else? Is there a jack kit and if so where is that?
- It has a red "S" badge on the rear which I haven't seen on other cars. I'm assuming this is aftermarket, is there any specific meaning behind the different colour?
- I understand there is a way to start this car in Loud mode, versus the usual comfort mode. What is this process?
- Anything else I should be looking for on my walkaround before signing the papers?

Pics! (Forgive the poor rainy dealer photos, Salesman aren't photographers haha)

Last edited by Blue_Bomber697; 04-10-2024 at 12:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Blue_Bomber697:
Bahnstormer (04-10-2024), bobblehead (04-10-2024), I.T. Guy (04-10-2024), LMinn (04-12-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
E63s
Does anyone have the facelift model E63s with the 3D sound option? Was that even an option for 2021+ models?
Old 04-10-2024, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 623 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Blue_Bomber697
Hey everyone! Newcomer to the AMG family here. I am picking up my new to me E63S soon and I am very excited. I'm driving the car 1600kms home from the dealer. Not my preference, but they are forcing me to come sign the papers in person so might as well drive it home since I'm there.

Some things about the car...
Selenite Gray Magno paint
25K kms (1 year of warranty left)
Loaded with pretty much all options
PPF already done on some sections of the car
I will be getting an extended warranty for when this one expires

This is going to be my new daily driver family car, car seat going in the back and everything. I've been reading through this forum for the last week or so trying to get as much information as I can but would love any advice you guys have for my ownership. I do have some specific questions:
- I see that the Magno paint requires some special care when washing. Particular neutral soap and no waxing. I will be hand washing at home as much as I can, but I do need to know if this car is safe to take to wand washes and using the soap there, or if I should just spray it down with water to be safe?
- Is Graphene coating good to do on this paint? Graphene is wonderful, but I think it also adds some extra gloss so I'm not sure if Ceramic might be better on this specific paint.
- Does the 2021 E63S have wireless car play or only when plugged in? Can't remember what I read on this.
- I see there is a cap over the wheel lug nuts. Where is the tool for removing these located? I also saw a post about "butterfly lugs" with a special socket. Were these standard or an extra option? Just not sure what to expect when I pull these covers off.
- What kind of accessories should I expect to find in the car? Owners Manual, Infotainment manual and perfuming bottle in the glove box I assume, I think under the trunk I saw there is usually a foldable basket, cargo netting, tow hook, tire sealant and inflator. Anything else? Is there a jack kit and if so where is that?
- It has a red "S" badge on the rear which I haven't seen on other cars. I'm assuming this is aftermarket, is there any specific meaning behind the different colour?
- I understand there is a way to start this car in Loud mode, versus the usual comfort mode. What is this process?
- Anything else I should be looking for on my walkaround before signing the papers?

Pics! (Forgive the poor rainy dealer photos, Salesman aren't photographers haha)
<snip pics>
Congrats!

If you want to protect more of the paint IMHO do stealth/matte PPF on the areas that are not yet PPF. Do not wax, do not polish, do not try to get out scratches. You can do ceramic coat for sure see this post https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-yourself.html others can comment on Graphene I have no experience.

No wireless carplay, have to purchase an aftermarket plug in unit that you join your phone with bluetooth/WiFi

Tool for cap should be in trunk. Sometimes they come off by hand by twisting. Sometimes you need the tool if they are really tight.

A regular 17mm 6-sided hex socket will work on the "flower" wheel bolt. You can also purchase a "Mercedes flower socket" if you prefer.

Usually there is not jack kit. See this in progress thread cataloging the accessories: https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...3-s-wagon.html

I think the red S is only aftermarket - either just a badge change or perhaps it was/is tuned too

Loud mode hold down the left shifter paddle while starting the car for "Emotion Start"

Make sure the red S doesn't mean it was tuned voiding your powertrain warranty. Not sure how to do that - ask the dealer to check and put it in writing that Mercedes will honor the last year of warranty? If not you also will not be able to extend. Looks like it is at an Audi Store which kind of complicates things if they won't let you take it to MB for a PPI.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; 04-10-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:16 AM

2019 E63S
Originally Posted by Caro
Does anyone have the facelift model E63s with the 3D sound option? Was that even an option for 2021+ models?
This car supposedly has the upgraded Burmester 3D sound option. It has the fancy speakers tucked in by A-Pillar so it does seem it was an option for 2021.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
Or, just live with no warranty and spend the $ that you would have to extend on MODS!
Old 04-10-2024, 10:24 AM

2019 E63S
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
Congrats!

If you want to protect more of the paint IMHO do stealth/matte PPF on the areas that are not yet PPF. Do not wax, do not polish, do not try to get out scratches. You can do ceramic coat for sure see this post https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-yourself.html others can comment on Graphene I have no experience.

No wireless carplay, have to purchase an aftermarket plug in unit that you join your phone with bluetooth/WiFi

Tool for cap should be in trunk. Sometimes they come off by hand by twisting. Sometimes you need the tool if they are really tight.

A regular 17mm 6-sided hex socket will work on the "flower" wheel bolt. You can also purchase a "Mercedes flower socket" if you prefer.

Usually there is not jack kit. See this in progress thread cataloging the accessories: https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...3-s-wagon.html

I think the red S is only aftermarket - either just a badge change or perhaps it was/is tuned too

Loud mode hold down the left shifter paddle while starting the car for "Emotion Start"

Make sure the red S doesn't mean it was tuned voiding your powertrain warranty. Not sure how to do that - ask the dealer to check and put it in writing that Mercedes will honor the last year of warranty? If not you also will not be able to extend. Looks like it is at an Audio Store which kind of complicates things if they won't let you take it to MB for a PPI.
Thanks a lot! Lots of info from your reply that I really appreciate.

There is a Mercedes dealer right next door so I'm going to get them to run through the computer and make sure 100% the car is not tuned and the warranty will remain intact. That's a good call on that for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue_Bomber697:
I.T. Guy (04-10-2024), Uber Wagon (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 10:27 AM

2019 E63S
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
Or, just live with no warranty and spend the $ that you would have to extend on MODS!
I used to own a 2014 Corvette loaded with mods that made 1200whp haha. That thing became a nightmare at the end and I had such a bad experience selling a modded car. In stark contrast, the 2023 Z06 I just sold was the smoothest selling experience I have ever had since it was completely stock and sold for far more money. As much as a tune would be nice on the E63, I'm going to stick with my warranty, get an extended and enjoy the car for what it is I think haha.
The following 3 users liked this post by Blue_Bomber697:
bobblehead (04-10-2024), Drone_S213 (04-10-2024), I.T. Guy (04-10-2024)

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2024, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content...rochure_EN.pdf

The latest extended warranty price in Canada as I see you are buying from Audi Langley.

https://www.mercedes-benz-peterborou...ended-warranty

Note on extended warranty purchase - The Extended Limited Warranty can be purchased at any time during the new vehicle basic warranty period (48 months / 80,000 km), as long as the current owner purchased the vehicle from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer.

You may want to contact MB Canada or MB dealer to see if you can buy the extended warranty since you are not buying it from MB dealer in Canada. As far as I have heard, there are mb dealers willing to sell you that regardless, so you may still be good in buying it after all.

Last edited by bobblehead; 04-10-2024 at 11:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobblehead:
Blue_Bomber697 (04-10-2024), I.T. Guy (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for the wheel cap cover, please don't use any power tool to twist it in, if you do, the person doing the wheels swap will have a tough time to remove it. May I suggest hand tightened would be good enough.

Before you signed off anything, check to ensure your magno paint has no visible deep scratches/damages, this is not a simple repair at all as you cannot just buff it out per se.

Last edited by bobblehead; 04-10-2024 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I.T. Guy (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 E63S Wagon
I used to own a 2014 Corvette loaded with mods that made 1200whp haha. That thing became a nightmare at the end and I had such a bad experience selling a modded car. In stark contrast, the 2023 Z06 I just sold was the smoothest selling experience I have ever had since it was completely stock and sold for far more money. As much as a tune would be nice on the E63, I'm going to stick with my warranty, get an extended and enjoy the car for what it is I think haha.
+1,200
I had a modded E63 and after almost a year trying to sell it I put it back to stock and it sold that week.
SerottaD (04-15-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,454 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Thanks a lot! Lots of info from your reply that I really appreciate.

There is a Mercedes dealer right next door so I'm going to get them to run through the computer and make sure 100% the car is not tuned and the warranty will remain intact. That's a good call on that for sure.
maybe don't let them discover if it's tuned? Then they'll potentially status 8 your ride if it is tuned - I take it you didn't buy from a Benz dealer?

take it to a reputable tuner to determine if it was tuned. And if it was, moving forward, take your chance on warranty work with the Benz dealer you have the best relationship with as warranty issues arise
Old 04-10-2024, 10:14 PM

2019 E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
maybe don't let them discover if it's tuned? Then they'll potentially status 8 your ride if it is tuned - I take it you didn't buy from a Benz dealer?

take it to a reputable tuner to determine if it was tuned. And if it was, moving forward, take your chance on warranty work with the Benz dealer you have the best relationship with as warranty issues arise
I'd rather know prior to buying. I haven't handed them back the sales contract yet as I am waiting for the results of this check. If it turns out to be tuned and gets flagged, now the selling Audi dealership is screwed and I have major leverage against them. At that point, I will at least know, instead of getting surprised down the road when an expensive repair gets denied warranty and my extended warranty I paid $7K for is rendered useless. If its warranty were to get flagged I can do stuff like more mods potentially, or worry less about keeping it 100% dealer maintained and stuff so I'd rather know one way or the other.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

I'd rather know prior to buying. I haven't handed them back the sales contract yet as I am waiting for the results of this check. If it turns out to be tuned and gets flagged, now the selling Audi dealership is screwed and I have major leverage against them. At that point, I will at least know, instead of getting surprised down the road when an expensive repair gets denied warranty and my extended warranty I paid $7K for is rendered useless. If its warranty were to get flagged I can do stuff like more mods potentially, or worry less about keeping it 100% dealer maintained and stuff so I'd rather know one way or the other.
ah ok - I missed that you hadn't bought this yet
Old 04-11-2024, 12:40 AM

2019 E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
ah ok - I missed that you hadn't bought this yet
Yeah deposit is down, the paperwork is signed on my part, however I haven't returned the documents to them to be signed off by them until I get the all-clear on the ECU tune which is happening tomorrow (11th) afternoon.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah deposit is down, the paperwork is signed on my part, however I haven't returned the documents to them to be signed off by them until I get the all-clear on the ECU tune which is happening tomorrow (11th) afternoon.
well, ecu tune, cpc, and tcu tune.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...y-results.html

Last edited by PeterUbers; 04-11-2024 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
E63s AMG
Congrats on your beautiful AMG beast!!! Where do you live? Must be a fun drive back home!!
Old 04-12-2024, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OP said 1600km ... so from Langley BC, Canada to Saskatoon Sask. Canada would be around that distance.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by bobblehead
OP said 1600km ... so from Langley BC, Canada to Saskatoon Sask. Canada would be around that distance.
Nice that must be a fun drive back home. Nice!!!
Old 04-12-2024, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ed99
Nice that must be a fun drive back home. Nice!!!
actually, I suspect he may have to drive more ... as his member name is 'blue bomber' ... that's Winnipeg, Manitoba ... that's another 700km ... total is 2300km trip
Old 04-12-2024, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by bobblehead
actually, I suspect he may have to drive more ... as his member name is 'blue bomber' ... that's Winnipeg, Manitoba ... that's another 700km ... total is 2300km trip
You are right haha...good catch on that!! With those straight roads in the Prairies I am sure he can test out his 1/4 mile times too haha!!
bobblehead (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:49 PM

2019 E63S
Haha I am in northern Alberta guys! Fort McMurray specifically. The BlueBomber moniker actually comes from Megaman which is a game I loved as a kid as have been using as forum names for many years.

My drive through the Rockies will be quite nice. I'm going through Jasper instead of Banff unfortunately because its an hour quicker. But the roads through Banff are definitely nicer.
bobblehead (04-12-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha I am in northern Alberta guys! Fort McMurray specifically. The BlueBomber moniker actually comes from Megaman which is a game I loved as a kid as have been using as forum names for many years.

My drive through the Rockies will be quite nice. I'm going through Jasper instead of Banff unfortunately because its an hour quicker. But the roads through Banff are definitely nicer.
you definitely should have the entire car wrapped in ppf, given the roads are not in the greatest conditions year round.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 300SL-24, 2009 CLK350, 2018 SLC43 AMG, 2018 AMG E63 S wagon
@Blue_Bomber697
1. I strongly recommend you get the data card and/or MB VMI printout before purchasing, as in, if you can't get it, think about the purchase carefully. You're effectively buying blind. I struggle researching post-2018 vehicles; lastvin.com is pretty reliable through 2018. https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check has worked for me on newer models, but only occasionally (reliability perhaps related to cookies or IP address, which I fuss with to various effect). I've owned MBs for years, so on my recent purchase, I talked the VMI out of my dealer. (Apart from being nice, they know if I bought my E63 S wagon, they'd have more service business.)
-- Tell us your VIN... someone might have access to XENTRY
-- Tells us the dealer name/location and sale URL. Many/most dealerships are big companies and have many brands under their umbrella. Research your dealer to see if they have a MB dealership and ask the Audi dealer to get the VMI in a PDF for you (or just tell them to use their contacts at the local MB dealership). The VMI will also tell you recall status and is a Carfax on steroids. It'll have every time a MB dealership touched the car since new. Invaluable to uncover recurring problems.

2. Once you have the data card/VMI, you can check the vehicle configuration when new. I know the most about W213 pre-facelift (2018-2020) options, so can't be authoritative on post-facelift. The option numbers stay the same across at least the reasonable past.
-- Burnester 3D was not available on the E63 S pre-facelift. This MB info suggests also not available (It doesn't say "3D.").
https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...eference-guide
810 - Burmester® Surround Sound System is the standard audio in the Premium 1 package (2018-2020) with 13 speakers. It sounds awesome.
-- 811 is the option code for 3D Burmester. 811 uses upgraded and/or additional speakers and amplifier(s).

3. FWIW, I buy my car wash products from Griot's Garage. I have no way of comparing with other brands. The products are expensive, but very high quality. Their car wash brochure calls out "ok for matte finish", I think because I just recently bugged them for clarification before washing my wife's AMG SLC43 in matte grey. PM me and I can share what I've purchased over the years. I don't regret any of it. We have a touchless car wash near us that does a wonderful job on our metallic finishes but I told my wife we can't wash the SLC in it, even if we only purchase the quick rinse. You can F up your finish and there's no fixing it.

Last edited by SerottaD; 04-15-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:44 PM

what I've noticed on the wheel hub caps... whether torqued or tightened by hand, go back and retighten after driving the first time. I've noticed that hubs that are impossible to get off one day will come off the next after a drive. I think this is because the metal ring that covers the lug nuts can seat slightly off center, and when it shifts after driving, the hub cap isn't as tight as it was
Old 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM

@Blue_Bomber697
Previous poster is correct. If you take it to the MB dealer and they check ECU, they will log it as tuned in the vehicle's permanent record, and that will void the warranty since the vehicle will be known to have operated outside its design specs. (I therefore wonder if the Audi dealer will let you take it there for this purpose.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taking Delivery of a 2021 E63S in Selenite Gray Magno