Sponsored by:

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 12:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55
Rear Cross Traffic Alert

My daughter parked her car right on the edge of the driveway, someplace she never parks and obstructed by my oversized mailbox. I backed right into her car and did plenty of damage at 1 mph. My car has (I'm pretty sure) rear cross traffic alert, is this not supposed to automatically hit the brakes to avoid a collision? Or is it only if the the other vehicle is in motion? My car is less than two months old I'm so upset.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
I would think the proximity alert should have gone off, at least if it wasn't disabled.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,602 Posts
2019 C63CS
Cross traffic alert as the name kinda says only alerts to moving objects that cross the path behind your vehicle and activates emergency braking if necessary. A parked vehicle/obstacle gets detected by the parking sensors if you are backing up, and you see it in your rear view camera. Your parking sensors should have gone to a solid beep as you approached her car that was parked there. In addition, if an object is detected, the Drive Away Assist will limit the vehicle speed to 1 mph and an alert will light up in the parking camera view.

How you continued backing into her vehicle with all these warnings and a backup camera is a bit of a mystery. It is upon you to react to those warnings and beeps. However, some of these systems are only present if the vehicle was optioned accordingly with the Driver Assistance and Parking Assistance packages.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 01:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Drive Away Assist is not a W213 feature.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by whoover
Drive Away Assist is not a W213 feature.
Sure it is. It's in the owner's manual.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by superswiss
Sure it is. It's in the owner's manual.
My mistake.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 623 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
My car is so noisy leaving the Garage I'm sure I'd hit something too if it was parked behind me in the driveway due to me ignoring the crazy car freaking out every day for no reason.

Interesting your car hit the other car. My car has SLAMMED on the brakes when I've been reversing - so hard that I thought I hit something. But no! Just a leaf, shadow, ghost, whatever. Scares me to death when it happens that I just had my first accident.

I wonder why it didn't do the same for you for an actual car?

Very curious.

Last edited by I.T. Guy; Yesterday at 04:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,612 Likes on 2,221 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
My car is so noisy leaving the Garage I'm sure I'd hit something too if it was parked behind me in the driveway due to me ignoring the crazy car freaking out every day for no reason.

Interesting your car hit the other car. My car has SLAMMED on the brakes when I've been reversing - so hard that I thought I hit something. But no! Just a leaf, shadow, ghost, whatever. Scares me to death when it happens that I just had my first accident.

Very curious.
You could adjust the volume of the parking sensor chime I think.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy

Very curious.
It does not slam on the brakes for stationary objects as that could get you stuck, not able to move the car in close quarters to stationary obstacles. Would be rather counterproductive. So slamming on the brakes only happens if an object moves into your path of travel. Drive Away Assist limiting the speed to 1 mph is as close to slowing you down as you can get while still being able to move the car in tight spaces. It triggers regularly as I'm backing out of my garage, but I generally don't go much faster than 1 mph anyway until I clear the garage door frame.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 05:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
It actually can slam on the breaks when backing towards stationary objects. I've had same thing as IT happen to me. I was backing out of a driveway and behind me was a stationary bulldozer, I was far enough away to never hit it, but the car slammed on the breaks and I thought I had hit it even though I was looking at the rear/360 cameras and wasn't that close.

Maybe it slows the car down to 1mph, but it certainly felt like a collision to me and everyone else in the car. Scared all of us.
The following users liked this post:
I.T. Guy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55
The parking sensors go off from the time I back out of my garage until I get to the street, after a while I just tune out the noise. In 12 years no one has ever parked where she did and I just back out on auto pilot. I suppose I will be checking the space in the future.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by RACE_MX
. I suppose I will be checking the space in the future.
That's all you can do

Last edited by PeterUbers; Yesterday at 09:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by RACE_MX
The parking sensors go off from the time I back out of my garage until I get to the street, after a while I just tune out the noise. In 12 years no one has ever parked where she did and I just back out on auto pilot. I suppose I will be checking the space in the future.
Yep that's how it happens. I suppose the good news is it wasn't a small child suddenly popping up while you are backing out on autopilot and not looking where you are going.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by taphil
It actually can slam on the breaks when backing towards stationary objects. I've had same thing as IT happen to me. I was backing out of a driveway and behind me was a stationary bulldozer, I was far enough away to never hit it, but the car slammed on the breaks and I thought I had hit it even though I was looking at the rear/360 cameras and wasn't that close.

Maybe it slows the car down to 1mph, but it certainly felt like a collision to me and everyone else in the car. Scared all of us.
I don't know how abruptly it slows down to 1 mph, but that's likely what happened. It does seem to slow down quite forcefully. If I back out of my garage at maybe 3 mph and it goes off even that 2 mph slowdown is sudden.