C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

CLS63TT spark plug broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
I respect that some of the guys had issues with this spark plug recall and hopefully all of us don't experience this but still where are the pics of the rest of the plugs? Ali you said you would post them and still no pics uploaded! Now you are saying you should have asked for a richer tune cuz of the high temperatures you are running ur car in?? Does this mean your car was lean and you are blaming the plugs? I checked with EMC "Mercedes dealer" and they said there are no problems with spark plugs and no recall on them too! Plus if you where running 19psi and your car was very fast then that means the power you are making was from the timing and not from the boost, so you got good power from 1 extra psi?? To be able to justify the high power output you had, would be from advancing the timing! Can you post the pics of the rest of the plugs, so we can rest assure it was a plug problem and not a lean mix!
Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by Vic55
I sure am- like a new girlfriend.

Most of, if not all, plug issues are coming off non PP cars right? Edition 1 cars seems to be getting the recalls too- I ask in a quisitive tone...

Im still gonna check my plugs just to make sure- but Im pushing the car daily (or when I drive it) with high speed bursts and hard acceleration and the car is running fine.

propably all the first production cars had some issue with plugs.

edition 1 : from the name it is the first batch unique but will have problems.

will keep you guys all updated soon
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dbasons55
I respect that some of the guys had issues with this spark plug recall and hopefully all of us don't experience this but still where are the pics of the rest of the plugs? Ali you said you would post them and still no pics uploaded! Now you are saying you should have asked for a richer tune cuz of the high temperatures you are running ur car in?? Does this mean your car was lean and you are blaming the plugs? I checked with EMC "Mercedes dealer" and they said there are no problems with spark plugs and no recall on them too! Plus if you where running 19psi and your car was very fast then that means the power you are making was from the timing and not from the boost, so you got good power from 1 extra psi?? To be able to justify the high power output you had, would be from advancing the timing! Can you post the pics of the rest of the plugs, so we can rest assure it was a plug problem and not a lean mix!
Thanks

my AFR showed 12.

stock is 12.5

so my tune is richer than stock, as for the boost, stock PP is 18.8, so 0.2 boost is not that much of adding.

i didn't went to the dealer untill know and i will go today and will try to take as much pictures as i can.

don't worry i'm not the type of hiding anything.

i am pretty sure it will be this 1 plug issue and its a fualty one.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jacob502
thats pure BS from the dealer. A bunch of douchebags that just dont know what they are doing and dont want to work and wanna blame everything on your ECU tune. Your ECU tune is safe and there is nothing wrong with it in terms of the safety of your components and internals.
My uncle has the 2012 CLS63, which is completely stock. He had the same problem that you are facing.

The plugs is a common problem for the M157 engine. They were on recall and they still did not come up with something good.

Get yourself some Brisk Spark plugs. A friend of mine is running them on his Tuned M157 E63 without any issues.

i know my friend. they will try to prove hard that my tune caused the issue.

will check Brisk Spark plugs care to give part number ?

Last edited by Ali_E55; 05-08-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 PP, XFR
i am confused
should i just go get my plugs replaced just to be safe? hmmm......
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you are stock, no need to replace them.

but if your car is tuned, i will sure look for Aftermarket plug that is better.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 AM

CLS63 PP, XFR
yes my car is tuned..i have the brabus b63 kit..
which aftermarket plugs do you recommend?
it really sucks...
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there is NGK and Brisk.

i have not tried any of them

Jacob recomends Brisk spark but i don't know which one to use.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ali_E55
my AFR showed 12.

stock is 12.5

so my tune is richer than stock, as for the boost, stock PP is 18.8, so 0.2 boost is not that much of adding.

i didn't went to the dealer untill know and i will go today and will try to take as much pictures as i can.

don't worry i'm not the type of hiding anything.

i am pretty sure it will be this 1 plug issue and its a fualty one.

Ok so I was wrong you are 0.2psi more boost over stock and running richer than the stock PP, and still made the same power as Vic which is 13% more WHP than stock? Since you are using an identical tune as Vic! Your tune must have something special!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok so I was wrong you are 0.2psi more boost over stock and running richer than the stock PP, and still made the same power as Vic which is 13% more WHP than stock? Since you are using an identical tune as Vic! Your tune must have something special!

why do yo always assume i am hiding something.

80whp over PP is a good gain.

nothing special, same thing as everyone has.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 AM

why do yo always assume i am hiding something.

80whp over PP is a good gain.

nothing special, same thing as everyone has.
Bro i know its something not special every tuner is getting that gain out of those engines with a simple software upgrade, which makes it one of the coolest cars to tune but you cant get the +60WHP with 0.2psi more over stock boost which doesn't add up right to your claims of how much faster your car must have felt, all in all i am sorry but there is no common sense in what you are claiming here and again i will say one more thing everyone with the plug problem said the plugs missfired or the ceramic chipped, but you mentioned MELTING thats definitely overheating caused by a lean mix
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bro i know its something not special every tuner is getting that gain out of those engines with a simple software upgrade, which makes it one of the coolest cars to tune but you cant get the +60WHP with 0.2psi more over stock boost which doesn't add up right to your claims of how much faster your car must have felt, all in all i am sorry but there is no common sense in what you are claiming here and again i will say one more thing everyone with the plug problem said the plugs missfired or the ceramic chipped, but you mentioned MELTING thats definitely overheating caused by a lean mix
all tuners say there is no increase in boost with there tune

about the other melting plugs let us wait untill i get the other plugs and take photos of them and then we can decide if it is a lean mixture or not.

but again for sure, it is richer than stock when i tested it and also from Vic55 dyno run.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
propably all the first production cars had some issue with plugs.

edition 1 : from the name it is the first batch unique but will have problems.

will keep you guys all updated soon
My 2012 CLS63 was built on 3/20/12 and delivered on 4/16/12. I assume these faulty plugs were a known issue to MB and they probably would have fixed before my build?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM

all tuners say there is no increase in boost with there tune

about the other melting plugs let us wait untill i get the other plugs and take photos of them and then we can decide if it is a lean mixture or not.

but again for sure, it is richer than stock when i tested it and also from Vic55 dyno run.
I am sorry but it seems that this is not true again how can u get more HP without going up in boost and get a richer mix? enlighten us with this new information please who are the tuners that you are referring to that make more HP without going up in boost? is this part of your special tune as well the only way to make more power without going up in boost is by advancing the timing, why don't you admit you had a lean mix? You said you already had a look at those plugs and u mentioned melting and blamed it on your eye site! Come on it's clear Bro your just being very protective to someone who gave you a bad tune and blaming the thing on the plugs.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS63 AMG
I am sorry but it seems that this is not true again how can u get more HP without going up in boost and get a richer mix? enlighten us with this new information please who are the tuners that you are referring to that make more HP without going up in boost? is this part of your special tune as well the only way to make more power without going up in boost is by advancing the timing, why don't you admit you had a lean mix? You said you already had a look at those plugs and u mentioned melting and blamed it on your eye site! Come on it's clear Bro your just being very protective to someone who gave you a bad tune and blaming the thing on the plugs.
he did increase boost as he mentions here

any scan tool that has the option to read boost. Dashdaq

19PSI with tune

before tune it was 18.2 max.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
@Ali_55 - I'm starting to think that Dbasons55 is your SA....
Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by freefall
@Ali_55 - I'm starting to think that Dbasons55 is your SA....
LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Saeedg48
he did increase boost as he mentions here
This is the problem 0.8 psi or 2psi would never give you 60whp and no one of the tuners published what boost they are running, back to the main problem how do u melt your plugs? Advancing the time that yields HP and damage internals just what Ali experienced plus he wants us to believe it's the plugs which has nothing to do with it in this case.

Freefall sorry I don't know what SA stands for in all cases I just want to know what really happened cuz my friend was at the dealer and they mentioned Ali's car melting plugs not one couple, and I want to know since he posted here I must ask, I have nothing against Ali he is a nice guy we raced once I was looking forward to doing it again
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
This is the problem 0.8 psi or 2psi would never give you 60whp and no one of the tuners published what boost they are running, back to the main problem how do u melt your plugs? Advancing the time that yields HP and damage internals just what Ali experienced plus he wants us to believe it's the plugs which has nothing to do with it in this case.

Freefall sorry I don't know what SA stands for in all cases I just want to know what really happened cuz my friend was at the dealer and they mentioned Ali's car melting plugs not one couple, and I want to know since he posted here I must ask, I have nothing against Ali he is a nice guy we raced once I was looking forward to doing it again
He said he would get back to you...not sure why you keep repeating the same argument..you would think it was your engine that this happened to

give the man a break, he posted the info him self as a heads up and your eating him alive....as of right now you are speculating...no point arguing on speculation until the facts are known

It might be the tune, or it might actually be a defective product from MB..no point in assuming

peace bro and really love what you have achieved by the way

also FYI SA is service adviser ;p

Last edited by Zod; 05-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zod
He said he would get back to you...not sure why you keep repeating the same argument..you would think it was your engine that this happened to

give the man a break, he posted the info him self as a heads up and your eating him alive....as of right now you are speculating...no point arguing on speculation until the facts are known

It might be the tune, or it might actually be a defective product from MB..no point in assuming

peace bro and really love what you have achieved by the way

also FYI SA is service adviser ;p
bro I know I am making it big but it's cuz I am confused as well and need some hard evidence on Ali's situation just so we can prevent this from happening to us, i really don't have anything against him and I wish him all the best, I have taken my car to it's limits and cuz of Ali's situation I changed my plugs again! I hope it's the plug wallah but I have to argue until proven wrong.
If I was his SA I promise to fix it on warranty
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Freefall sorry I don't know what SA stands for
SA is Service Advisor...he is basically your liaison to MB. If the SA is "tune friendly" he will look out and work with you. If your SA is not tune friendly and doesn't like you because you are driving a car that is most likely 3x his annual salary he can be your worst enemy.

Jest meeting around though as you are questioning Ali_55 pretty hard but its interesting and I am learning a alot. As I stated numerous times my plugs needed to be replaced about week after my tune and the SA said that "if" I had a tune the two events would not be related. We always talk in the hypothetical and don't have Renntech badges on my car so he can help me without knowing if I really have a tune or not...covers us both....

And I have no reason for saying this but I want to for some reason:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK...I'm good.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM

SA is Service Advisor...he is basically your liaison to MB. If the SA is "tune friendly" he will look out and work with you. If your SA is not tune friendly and doesn't like you because you are driving a car that is most likely 3x his annual salary he can be your worst enemy.

Jest meeting around though as you are questioning Ali_55 pretty hard but its interesting and I am learning a alot. As I stated numerous times my plugs needed to be replaced about week after my tune and the SA said that "if" I had a tune the two events would not be related. We always talk in the hypothetical and don't have Renntech badges on my car so he can help me without knowing if I really have a tune or not...covers us both....

And I have no reason for saying this but I want to for some reason:

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK...I'm good.
you make me laugh seriously what truth are you talking about, you don't seem to understand the situation here although you are one of whom had a spark plug problem! Do you know the difference between melting and chipped? This is the difference your car still working properlly and Ali's in the work shop, renntech has given u a good safe tune, Ali is unfortunate had a bad tune, his tune destroyed the plug by melting it, I have changed my plugs after getting two odd CEL coming! I have taken my car to extreme limits and I would love to know the truth behind this story from Ali not from the SA in our dealer.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM

you make me laugh
Than I achieved my goal because I was just joking....sort of. It seems that you know the truth from the facts you gathered on the thread and it doesn't add up from what Ali is sharing. And being that I am still learning and trying to understand what you are saying, let me reiterate.

Your saying that if it were the plugs it would be chipped not melted as you assume Ali's are. In addition you are saying that a quality tune would not melt plugs so there HAS TO BE something else going on here (maybe the timing) that is not being shared.

Is that about right?

Also - Didn't mean to offend if I did. I totally respect your knowledge and to question is to learn. I just think that sometimes personalities don't come through on forum and therefore this get misunderstood. The way I see is if you are here instead of Facebook you alright by me....
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 AM

Than I achieved my goal because I was just joking....sort of. It seems that you know the truth from the facts you gathered on the thread and it doesn't add up from what Ali is sharing. And being that I am still learning and trying to understand what you are saying, let me reiterate.

Your saying that if it were the plugs it would be chipped not melted as you assume Ali's are. In addition you are saying that a quality tune would not melt plugs so there HAS TO BE something else going on here (maybe the timing) that is not being shared.

Is that about right?

Also - Didn't mean to offend if I did. I totally respect your knowledge and to question is to learn. I just think that sometimes personalities don't come through on forum and therefore this get misunderstood. The way I see is if you are here instead of Facebook you alright by me....
I am not into Facebook after using it for few months I saw it took too much of my precious time so I quit! I hope all the best for everyone here this is a good Mercedes lovers forum where we can share ups and downs all sort of information. Just being part of MBworld makes us want to enjoy our rides more and more!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 PM

CLS63 PP, XFR
i had my shop check out my plugs yesterday and my car
was already equipped with NGK racing plugs from the factory.
they were different from the cheap plugs that some had on this forum.
No worries for chipping or melting problem for later model CLS63 i guess....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS63TT spark plug broke