Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

New pads and rotors burning smell and vibration at highspeed braking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
New pads and rotors burning smell and vibration at highspeed braking.

I just put on a set of powerstop ceramic brake pads and slotted and drilled rotors on my car. I did the initial bedding process after installing them all seemed well not one noise.. braking was fine. I was kind of babying the car around as far as braking but recently I took the car on the freeway (figured it had been enough time) and I was going rather fast then applied the brakes moderately aggressive (not an emergency stop by any means) and I noticed some brake vibration. I began to get ready to get off the freeway and notice that this vibration kept occurring with each brake pedal application all the way until I finally pulled off the freeway and pulled into a gas station. I check the brakes it was obviously the front ones that i changed they were hot and I could smell the burning brakes. Let it cool down and I tested it again and the vibration problem seems to have gone away although the burning smell remains. My question is, could this be because the brakes were not fully bedded and my stop at high speed finally did this or could there be some major issue with the braking system. This vibration issue has yet to repeat itself again and I did test it quite a bit after this happened. I am waiting to drive it again today to see if the burning smell subsided.

Last edited by Dnasty; 05-28-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
Sounds like some sort of fluid got on the pads. Did you bleed the brakes? How is the fluid reservoir?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Sounds like some sort of fluid got on the pads. Did you bleed the brakes? How is the fluid reservoir?
I did not bleed the brakes and the fluid is good. This has not happened again but I read that some of these plated zinc rotors come with some sort of oil to preserve it during shipment could that be an issue? I've probably put about 200 miles on these brakes and rotors so far and that was the first issue I have had and it has not happened again since. And when they were first put on I did all the proper bedding instructions.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 AM

2013 GLK350
You should always spray cast iron rotors with "brake kleen" or a similar solvent. You shouldn't use harsh solvents on carbon ceramic type rotors because you can degrade the bonding resin. I go as far to clean the rotors with hot soapy water, dry then hit with more Brake Kleen. Excessive and unessary but thats my method.

So if you didn't remove the anti corrosion oil before installing you will not be able to bed in properly. You didn't say whicht brand rotors you used, but Mercedes, Italian Brembo, and Zimmerman rotors are usually shipped dry.

If it has not occured again then the fluid has burned off completely. And you shouldn@ t run into anymore issues.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 AM

2010 e550 coupe
You should always spray cast iron rotors with "brake kleen" or a similar solvent. You shouldn't use harsh solvents on carbon ceramic type rotors because you can degrade the bonding resin. I go as far to clean the rotors with hot soapy water, dry then hit with more Brake Kleen. Excessive and unessary but thats my method.

So if you didn't remove the anti corrosion oil before installing you will not be able to bed in properly. You didn't say whicht brand rotors you used, but Mercedes, Italian Brembo, and Zimmerman rotors are usually shipped dry.

If it has not occured again then the fluid has burned off completely. And you shouldn@ t run into anymore issues.
the pads and rotors are from a brand called power stop. ceramic pads and rotors that are zinc plated. I took the wheels off today and rubbed the rotors down with some brakecleaner. I typically use the grey benz oem rotors with the dry coating so I've never cleaned rotors before. I know those you just put on and the pads scrape it off. This could not have done any permanent damage to the pads or rotors could it? Also I understand the burning smell but what would cause he vibration/pulsating. This coating?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:22 AM

2013 GLK350
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the pads are not cracked you should be good to go.

To my understanding pulsating or vibration symptoms usually point to air in brake lines.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:19 AM

2010 e550 coupe
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the pads are not cracked you should be good to go.

To my understanding pulsating or vibration symptoms usually point to air in brake lines.
Thanks for the info, I did recieve a response from power stop today and they said that the way to deal with the coating is to do the break in steps and that no cleaning is necessary. They recommended I do the same break in steps again if I am having issues. Not too confident on that response as I did read that the oil on the rotors can cause pulsating.. it's actually even on the power stop website under faq's. The issue hasn't resurfaced and I did try to replicate it a few more times so I will probably just leave it alone. The brake fluid levels were ok last time I checked.. I may try to bleed them when I get new tires put on the car in a few days.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic
Hi,

I own a C300 4Matic 2008 Benz and have not tune-up the vehicle since purchasing, the car is struggling to pick up speed. Perhaps does this mean spark plugs need replacing and if so does anyone has an idea of the cost, type of spark plugs, and should anything else been serviced with a replacement of plug.