Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

New 2007 E350 owner looking for tire info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2007 E350 owner looking for tire info

I posted the following in the E-Class section a couple of days ago, but just found this one specifically on tires. Any feedback is appreciated.

New to the forum, but I've been searching around and reading up on the E-class prior to my purchase.

I just picked up a 2007 E350 with the sport package and I'm looking for some feedback on tires. I had test driven a car prior to purchase that had Continental ContiPro Contact tires and liked the ride and handling. The car I bought is identically equipped to the tester, but I didn't notice until I got home that my car has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires.

I test drove the car I purchased the day before delivery, but never thinked to check the tires. I didn't drive my car as aggressively as the one I tested, so I didn't notice a difference in the handling. I was looking at some of the comments at tirerack.com and found that the Michelins have generally poor ratings and the Continentals generally good ratings. Does anyone have any feedback one way or the other from their own cars? My experience is limited since I only have about 200 miles on my car now, and I've been taking it easy considering engine break-in, etc.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the Conti is a performance summer tire while the Michelin is a touring all season tire so the Conti can and will out perform the Michelin. WHile, the Michelin can deal with cold weather
Old 03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Luke,

Please explain. Your site lists the ContiProContact as a Grand Touring All Season. In addition your site lists the incorrect tire size when going through the vehicle selector and picking 07 MB E350 Sport.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Luke,

Please explain. Your site lists the ContiProContact as a Grand Touring All Season. In addition your site lists the incorrect tire size when going through the vehicle selector and picking 07 MB E350 Sport.
The Conti I looked at on the vehicle I test drove indicated it was an all season tire. Isn't that what the "M+S" on the side generally means?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 PM

Are there any more comments on this issue?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
my mistake ... I don't know what I was thinking that day ....

Many of '07 E-Class sport package cars come with Conti Sports which are summer tires ...

The Pro contact is a touring all-season tire which replaces the Touring contact CH95 .... the best part about the Pro Contact tire is it's firm sidewall and low rolling resistance .... I personnally woud rathe have the HX MXM4 given those two choices

sorry for the confusion
Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the comments. Opinions have been somewhat split, of course, but others have agreed that the Michelins are the better choice.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
The Pro contact is a touring all-season tire which replaces the Touring contact CH95 .... the best part about the Pro Contact tire is it's firm sidewall and low rolling resistance .... I personnally woud rathe have the HX MXM4 given those two choices
Luke, how would the ProContact compare to ExtremeContact DWS when it comes to wet performance, snow performance, comfort, and steering response?

The C300 we just picked up has the ProContact (225/45/17 and 245/40/17)... seems OK for summer, but probably not the best for winter from all I've read. I'm trying to figure out if replacing them with something else would make sense when they eventually wear out. This is the wife's car, so she cares about comfort, silence, and snow handling more than other things. Not planning on getting dedicated winter tires.