Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Weird Tire Wear E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Weird Tire Wear E500

Our E500 is wearing tires on both the inside and outside edge and scalloping both edges. This is happening on both front tires. Tire pressre is kept on 30 PSI. When the tires were installed and you drove 20 mph you could feel the "bumps" in the new tires eventhough they weren't visable. The factory tires removed wore even. Conti's. Alignment was checked to be in factory specs and I have reviewed the #'s and confirmed they are. What's up with these tires. I am considering replacing them with Conti's or Michelin from TR.

I didn't mention the name of the tires because I don't want to give bad press when any company can make a bad tire.

Thanks Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Just for kicks, I would try rotating both 2 fronts straight back to the rear wheels. Like you said anyone can make a bad tire, but 2 bad ones out of 4, and both ending up on the front wheels is an unlikely coincidence.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Musikmann
Just for kicks, I would try rotating both 2 fronts straight back to the rear wheels. Like you said anyone can make a bad tire, but 2 bad ones out of 4, and both ending up on the front wheels is an unlikely coincidence.
I would do that but when the rears were on the front the car drifted right.
At least it does drive straight now. Interesting item I found on the conti website. Their description of the factory tire was no seams in the web of the tire. Can't help but wonder if that has something to do with these tires wearing on the edges. Also Michelin surveys indicate they wear even and have low noise also. I was shopping on TR for replacments but plan to use only OE replacement tires to get back to base. But for now the edges both inside and outside of the front tires are wearing at 32 psi and when the tires roll slowly almost you can actually feel the bumping of both front tires. This noise bumping was there when the tires were new, but not present with the origional conti's. Jim