Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

dealer put on wrong tyres (45 height)??? effects?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG
dealer put on wrong tyres (45 height)??? effects?

hey guys, weve had some snow here, and since i need to travel ,i took my car in to put some winter tyres (2006 CLS55 AMG). i used my spare 18 inch split-spoke amg rims.

I used tirerack and found that the sizes i needed were 255/40/18" throughout for winter tyres, so told my dealer to put those on.

I just got my car back today , and to my horror(?) i found that they had put
245/45/18" all the way. They told me that these were the only winter tyres they had in stock for my rims ,and that it wouldnt make a difference!?! im not that bothered about the smaller size, but its the height of the tyres that bothers me? tirerack does not specify 45 height for the CLS55 amg?

can this damage my suspension? i looked around and even in sports 2 mode there seems to be enough clearance? nevertheless im no expert, and i want a safe car, so i would be grateful for some help?

also i dont know if this is related, or im just getting paranoid now with the new tyres, but when the car is stationary and i turn the wheel i can hear a sound, like .... i dunno, metal creaking or something from the front of the car (kinda like pulling a spring...) its not very audible, but i can hear it when im parking the car in my garage, and its doesnt go away... even after a long journey, when i turn the wheel with the car stationary (or moving very slowly) i can hear it

went to my dealer, and he said thats normal, cause a lot of effort is required to turn the wheels when the car is stationary, but i dont think ive heard that before on my car... help plz, nearest other dealer is 280kms away
Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
even though it's not the best fit it won't hurt anything as long as the tires are not rubbing on anything
Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
even though it's not the best fit it won't hurt anything as long as the tires are not rubbing on anything
hey Luke! i drove the car today, i cant hear any noises or anything (im sure if there was rubbing id hear it, right? ) .. anything i should be looking for in particular?

not ideal i know,but dealer said i should be ok and i got no choice
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
WARNING,, check the load rating on the tire. The dealer installed incorrect size on our E500. I checked with Michelin and found the tires were at max load rating with the car and the driver. Anything else would overload the tires. That would have been unsafe. So check the correct tires against the tires you have for load and speed ratings.

I emailed Michelin and their response, was basically the tires were overloaded and not acceptable for my car. I took it back to the MB dealer that installed the tires and their answer. "We just installed the same size that was on the car. " What a lame answer since they only replaced the front and the origional correct size were still on the rear. So NEVER assume the dealer puts the correct size tire on the car. Check.