Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

2009 E350 Suspension (lowering)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63S
2009 E350 Suspension (lowering)

I recently purchased a 2009 E350 w/ sport package. I am interested in a slighty more aggressive ride height by closing the tire/fender gap (i.e. up to 1 inch lower or so). I'd like to accomplish this while keeping my 18 inch wheels and maintaining as much as the factory smooth ride as possible.

Any ideas or suggestions for suspension kits? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading this. -Shugl
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
I have the lowering links in stock for that vehicle. Please call me at 305-407-7673. thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 AM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by detail-king
I have the lowering links in stock for that vehicle. Please call me at 305-407-7673. thanks

Thanks for the reply detail-king. Actually just bought a Brabus kit and had it installed. Very happy with the results.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
cool! Post pics!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:59 PM

'09 E280 Sports Edition (Aust. Spec)
Did you have any contacts in Australia for the kit?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM

2014 E63S
cool! Post pics!
Sorry, for the delay. Here are some pics:

Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
No, however, we can ship there so let me know.

Originally Posted by xplicit_wa
Did you have any contacts in Australia for the kit?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
SWEEET!!! LOOKS GOOD!!

Originally Posted by Shugl
Sorry, for the delay. Here are some pics:

Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 PM

2014 E63S
SWEEET!!! LOOKS GOOD!!
Thank you!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Shugl, looks perfect! It's the exact height I want mine lowered to. Can you give me the part number for the Brabus kit you used as I'll try to locate a supplier here in Oz - thanks. BTW, what is the wheel and tyre size combo you're running - looks sweet!

Detail-king, will your spring kit be guaranteed to drop mine as low as Shugl's. If so, can you give me a quote to ship it to postcode 6000 in Australia - thanks...

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM

2014 E63S
Originally Posted by xplicit_wa
Shugl, looks perfect! It's the exact height I want mine lowered to. Can you give me the part number for the Brabus kit you used as I'll try to locate a supplier here in Oz - thanks. BTW, what is the wheel and tyre size combo you're running - looks sweet!

Detail-king, will your spring kit be guaranteed to drop mine as low as Shugl's. If so, can you give me a quote to ship it to postcode 6000 in Australia - thanks...
Hi xplicit_wa,

Thank you for the compliments. I was very happy with the lowered height results. I was hoping for approximately 0.50 inch or 12-13mm clearance between the tire and the edge of the fender, and thats exactly what I got! There were other items that went into this.

First of all, I believe the kit my installer used was thiis model:
Brabus #211-006-00, BRABUS sports springs W 211/Comfortable setting/For 5- and 6-cylinder with standard suspension. The kit retails for $615. You can see it here: http://www.brabus.com/index_usa.html

Second, my installer used a thicker rear spring shim (or pad) to give my vehicle a slighty angled look. I believe he used a thinner shim in the front, although after looking at my bill, I can't see where he charged me for that. So maybe not. But he did tell me that was the plan.

Third, my tire/wheel combo is as follows:
Fronts: Carlsson 1/11 BE 19x8.5 with 245/35-19's
Rears: Carlsson 1/11 BE 19x10 with 275/30-19's

The ride is incredibly smooth and in my opinion, almost indentical to that of the stock springs. Make no mistake though, you can definitely feel imperfections in the road more than before.

I am not the best technical writer, so I hope some of this helps you. Post some before and after pics when you finish your project!

Regards- Shugl
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks a million. All the info is perfect and will help greatly. I was about to mention the 'angled' look as I would like to have it one height front to rear.

Cheers,

X

Hi xplicit_wa,

Thank you for the compliments. I was very happy with the lowered height results. I was hoping for approximately 0.50 inch or 12-13mm clearance between the tire and the edge of the fender, and thats exactly what I got! There were other items that went into this.

First of all, I believe the kit my installer used was thiis model:
Brabus #211-006-00, BRABUS sports springs W 211/Comfortable setting/For 5- and 6-cylinder with standard suspension. The kit retails for $615. You can see it here: http://www.brabus.com/index_usa.html

Second, my installer used a thicker rear spring shim (or pad) to give my vehicle a slighty angled look. I believe he used a thinner shim in the front, although after looking at my bill, I can't see where he charged me for that. So maybe not. But he did tell me that was the plan.

Third, my tire/wheel combo is as follows:
Fronts: Carlsson 1/11 BE 19x8.5 with 245/35-19's
Rears: Carlsson 1/11 BE 19x10 with 275/30-19's

The ride is incredibly smooth and in my opinion, almost indentical to that of the stock springs. Make no mistake though, you can definitely feel imperfections in the road more than before.

I am not the best technical writer, so I hope some of this helps you. Post some before and after pics when you finish your project!

Regards- Shugl
Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM

2009 E350
Very Cool

I just bought a new 2009 E350, black on black. Great dealer incentives. I love the lowering kit and wheel combo, looks fantastic. I'm going to probably do the same. Is there anything you would have done different? How much was the installation?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 AM

2014 E63S
Hi PucaDog,

Congratulations regarding your new purchase! Thanks for the comments.

Would I have done anything different? Believe it or not and thankfully, no. I did a lot of research on wheels and lowering kits. Fortunately was introduced to an outstanding tuning shop that gave me excellent advice and service. I spent countless hours at night looking at all the different tuned E classes on the internet. Very mind numbing considering all of the different looks and styles. As a thought, I'd ask yourself a few simple questions:
  • What's the look your after (conservative, aggressive, sporty, etc.)
  • What's your budget.
  • How will you be driving your vehicle (i.e. daily commuter, weekend toy, etc.)
There's obviously other thoughts to consider, however since this is my first mercedes, these questions helped me to begin my project. Btw, tuning you car is addictive. There is so much you can do. I am going to change my grill and that's about it.

Good luck to you and post some pics when you're done! Btw, where are you located?

Regards- Shugl

Originally Posted by PucaDog
I just bought a new 2009 E350, black on black. Great dealer incentives. I love the lowering kit and wheel combo, looks fantastic. I'm going to probably do the same. Is there anything you would have done different? How much was the installation?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM

2009 E350
Thanks Shug,

I'm located in CA, bay area. How about you?

I'm looking for a comfortable ride, however I desire it to be sporty. I really like your classy-conservative-sporty look. Its not too flashy but, looks way better than stock. Any additional advice you can give me is appreciated.

Hey, what was the cost for installation of the springs? Just wondering, so I don't over pay.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 AM

2014 E63S
Hey PD,

Hey cool to hear your in the Bay Area, and in San Jose. Very close to me. Where did you buy your vehicle? I purchased mine at Beshoff. First of all I highly recommend you contact this shop to discuss your project ideas: http://www.performanceartonline.com . Ask for the owner Jon Lazares and let him know I referrred you. Jon is extremely knoweldgable about Mercedes and the various aspects of tuning. The shop is based out of Gilroy, but well worth the trip. These guys are pros. He was recommended to me by Beshoff.

Regarding installation costs, I will have to look at my invoice but recall it being very reasonable. Jon wrapped a number of services into the project, so hard to say specifically. He will give you some excellent advice and tell you when something doesn't work.

Again not a pro here, but willing to offer my newbie experiences with my first Mercedes. Feel free to shoot me a PM if anything.

Regards- Shugl

Thanks Shug,

I'm located in CA, bay area. How about you?

I'm looking for a comfortable ride, however I desire it to be sporty. I really like your classy-conservative-sporty look. Its not too flashy but, looks way better than stock. Any additional advice you can give me is appreciated.

Hey, what was the cost for installation of the springs? Just wondering, so I don't over pay.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM

2009 E350
Shug, thanks for the reference on the installation/performance shop. I will give John a call and reference your name. I will also try to head down there in the next few days. I would love to get the work done ASAP. I love the way your ride looks

I also, got my car at Beshoff....wow how funny is that? I love their service...its WAY better than other dealerships.

Let me know when you find your invoice...I'm curious what the ballpark figure will be for everything.

PD
Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 AM

2014 E63S
Yes, good service at Beshoff. I'd call Jon before driving down there. He's in and out of the office.

Shug, thanks for the reference on the installation/performance shop. I will give John a call and reference your name. I will also try to head down there in the next few days. I would love to get the work done ASAP. I love the way your ride looks

I also, got my car at Beshoff....wow how funny is that? I love their service...its WAY better than other dealerships.

Let me know when you find your invoice...I'm curious what the ballpark figure will be for everything.

PD
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM

2009 E350
Shug,

Can you tell me how you like the Brabus springs? Does it corner a lot better? The stock ride is way too soft for me. Overall I wasn't expecting the car to corner like a Porsche, however I really want to make sure I make the right decision on the springs. Can you describe how well your car corners with the new springs. In addition, how much did the springs lower your car?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM

2014 E63S
Shug,

Can you tell me how you like the Brabus springs? Does it corner a lot better? The stock ride is way too soft for me. Overall I wasn't expecting the car to corner like a Porsche, however I really want to make sure I make the right decision on the springs. Can you describe how well your car corners with the new springs. In addition, how much did the springs lower your car?
Hey PD,

IMO, the Brabus springs are awesome. The ride is surprisingly very smooth. In terms of cornering, it performs very well. Handling is awesome. I have approximately 0.25 inch (prob a bit less) between my tires and the fender. Just where I wanted it. If you haven't done so already, call Jon and he will give you some great technical advice about lowering your vehicle. He and I were looking at Carlsson and Brabus spring packages, but went with Brabus because of better spring tensions. Again, he's the expert and can give you the technical info you oh so crave

Btw..does your forum nickname have anything to do with that Hawaii based hot dog chain?

-Shugl
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM

2009 E350
Shug,

Hi, have you thought about adding an exhaust system or any parts that will improve HP? Did you remove you MB emblem?

By the way my name comes from a pet I had as a child named Puca.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:02 PM

2014 E63S
I did. Even went so far as ordering a Remus quad pipe set up. Unforunately our style bumper skirt is tailored for the AMG dual pipe only. Project scrapped.

I replaced my hood star with a flat badge. Just ordered (and received) and OE grill without the embedded logo. Installing it tonight with my new pedals.

Shug,

Hi, have you thought about adding an exhaust system or any parts that will improve HP? Did you remove you MB emblem?

By the way my name comes from a pet I had as a child named Puca.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM

2009 E350
Way cool!

Please post a few pics. Not only of the finished work but one of two of the installation would be GREAT! Have fun.

PD
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM

2009 E350
I met with John earlier today...nice guy. Thanks for the referral. I'm also thinking of changing my grill. Where did you get yours? Any pics yet?

PD
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2010 c300
Shugl that's a nice drop! How's the camber?

Hey PD,

IMO, the Brabus springs are awesome. The ride is surprisingly very smooth. In terms of cornering, it performs very well. Handling is awesome. I have approximately 0.25 inch (prob a bit less) between my tires and the fender. Just where I wanted it. If you haven't done so already, call Jon and he will give you some great technical advice about lowering your vehicle. He and I were looking at Carlsson and Brabus spring packages, but went with Brabus because of better spring tensions. Again, he's the expert and can give you the technical info you oh so crave

Btw..does your forum nickname have anything to do with that Hawaii based hot dog chain?

-Shugl

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 E350 Suspension (lowering)