Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

NYC - Tires vs. Potholes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 - S600 Sport
NYC - Tires vs. Potholes...

After replacing several tires at my own expense over the past few years, a lawyer friend suggested that I file a tort claim against the City Comptrollers Office to seek monetary damages for my latest relationship with an infamous NYC pothole. This pothole caused me to replace both left side tires on my car.

On February 13th I took a picture of the pothole, picture of the damaged tires, sent in copies of receipts along with the tort form. Today (March 11th) I got a release letter from the city saying they would pay the full amount, sign, fax back and a check would be mailed. Just food for thought for all you fellow NY'ers...
Old 03-11-2003, 05:01 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
good job .... make them pay for wasting your tax dollars else where ... politicians can waste money faster than an F1 car can waste tires
Old 03-11-2003, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Let's see this pothole!
Old 03-11-2003, 06:34 PM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by nickv
Let's see this pothole!
lol. It was not huge but large enough obviously to do damage.

Actually it was this big...

<------------------------------------------------------->
Old 03-11-2003, 06:37 PM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
good job .... make them pay for wasting your tax dollars else where ... politicians can waste money faster than an F1 car can waste tires
I was actually shocked, figured they would fight it. NYC has a law which says they are only liable if the pothole has been previously reported and not fixed within 15 days of the report date.

Thanks again for help with the replacement.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
i've been telling people....great u'r gonna get a check.

i've filed 3 claims, all successful....so...never say never..
Old 03-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

CL500 and S500
Always File!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:47 PM

2004 Audi S4, 2003 CLK 500
What is the address for the comptrollers office in NYC. I hit a major pothole on 55th between 6th and 7th. There is a major bubble on my tire and I need to replace it. Any info will be greatly appreciated. How do I file a tort claim?
Old 03-23-2003, 08:02 PM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by rocky
What is the address for the comptrollers office in NYC. I hit a major pothole on 55th between 6th and 7th. There is a major bubble on my tire and I need to replace it. Any info will be greatly appreciated. How do I file a tort claim?
Here you go:
Claim Form:
http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/burea...mage_claim.pdf

Pictures and receipts are important. Do your best to take a picture or two of the pothole and be sure to list the address it is in front of. Take a picture of your tire as well. They will not reimburse you unless you attach copies of paid receipts for the new tire and labor. Not only receipts for the replacement tire but receipts for all labor and other charges associated with the damage. Be detailed and specific on the form to save time. Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:59 AM

2004 Audi S4, 2003 CLK 500
Thumbs up

Thanks a million for your reply. By the way, do I need to have the form notarized? Also what do they mean by Your and NYC. This seems more like an accident report involving more than one vehicle. I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:27 AM

04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by rocky
Thanks a million for your reply. By the way, do I need to have the form notarized? Also what do they mean by Your and NYC. This seems more like an accident report involving more than one vehicle. I will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again.
Yes, have each copy notarized. Send them two (certified mail, return receipt) and save a copy for yourself. You never know when they may misplace theirs.

The "Your" and "NYC" is for accidents as you say. Just omit the NYC part and complete everything which applies to your vehicle, including a diagram of the location of the pothole. Just be as specific as you can on everything to avoid delays. You know city hall, always looking for an excuse.