Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Not happy with the Michellin Lattitudes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Not happy with the Michellin Lattitudes

Hey Luke, I have a question for you. I always used Michellin Cross Terrains on my ML430 but this past summer I needed new tires and they were discontinued. The salesman at Tirerack told me the Michellin Lattitude HPs were the replacement tires for the Cross Terrains. I liked them in the dry weather, they are just as quiet on the road and feel just as good as the Cross Terrains. But recently we've had some major snow storms up here in the northeast and I feel like these tires do not perform as well as the Cross Terrains in the snow. Is this just my imagination? Have other customers said the same thing? I swear I slip and slide more in the snow with these Lattitudes. Is it because I bought the "HP's". I don't even know what the difference is. I actually got stuck in the bottom of my driveway in over a foot of snow last week. I wonder if I would have gotten stuck in my Cross Terrains? Is there a better all season tire thats good in the snow than these Lattitudes? Man I really miss my Cross Terrains now.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I had the michelin latitudes come standard on a 2006 ML350 and I was not impressed with them in the snow or rain.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
So I guess my question to Luke is, are the Lattitudes really Michellin's answer to the Cross Terrains? I want to stay with Michellins because I tend to be brand loyal when I like something. I guess either way I'm stuck with these tires since I just got them. Maybe I should use them in the summer and put different tires on in the winter? Sounds like a pain in the @ss.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
there are several different versions of Latitude tires from Michelin

The Latitude HP is a street/sport all season tire

The Latitude is a highway all-season tire just like the Cross Terrain and is considered it's replacement
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
But Luke the Latitude HP is an H-rated tire where the regular Latitude is a T rated. The Cross Terrains on my ML are also H rated. Won't braking and handling suffer with a T-rated tread? This is also why I avoided the Latitudes... still waiting to buy tires. I'm afraid the performace in snow and ice has suffered with the Latitudes (from the cross terrains) which is why I'm leaning toward the Conti CrossContacts LX.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
there are several different versions of Latitude tires from Michelin

The Latitude HP is a street/sport all season tire

The Latitude is a highway all-season tire just like the Cross Terrain and is considered it's replacement
Sorry for the rant. I called Michelin directly and they did say the Latitude Tour HP is the direct replacement for the Cross Terrains. Unfortunately they don't hold a candle to them. I think next time I'll try those Pirelli scorpions or something. I guess I"m just pissed Michelin decided to discontinue an awesome tire. B@stards. lol

Last edited by Stiggs; 01-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
let's review

Street/Sport Truck Summer

4x4 Diamaris
Latitude Diamaris
Latitude Sport

Street/Sport Truck All-Season

Latitude Tour HP
Latitude Tour HP ZP
Pilot LTX

Highway Rib Summer

XCA
XPS Rib
XRV

Highway All-Season

4x4 Synchrone
Agilis
Cross Terrain SUV
LTX A/S
LTX M/S
LTX M/S2
Latitude Tour

it's the HP part of the tire name that is the problem
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
So I still am wondering if the T-rated tread on the latitude tour will perform worse than the H-rated tread of the cross terrain SUV... Granted I never take the ML north of 80-85 mph. Mainly looking for capable snow/ice performance with a quiet stable hwy ride

Edit: Comparing the Latitude HP to the normal Latitudes, they have a lower load capacity 106T vs 109H on the cross terrains (does that mean softer ride?). Also the normal Latitudes got significantly higher consumer review ratings in the snow/ice categories than the HP version. Just by looking at the tread pattern the normal latitude also has sipes in the tread blocks (like the cross terrain) while the latitude HP does not.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
But Luke......according to your list the Latitude Tour is the direct replacement for the Cross Terrain.
When I called Michelin directly they said the Latitude Tour HP is the direct replacement for the CRoss Terrain.
I'm so confused my heads spinning! lol

If they are both all season tires, then whats the difference between highway or street/sport? I'll assume speed rating? Would performance in the snow differ between the two?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Kar don

Edit: Comparing the Latitude HP to the normal Latitudes, they have a lower load capacity 106T vs 109H on the cross terrains (does that mean softer ride?). Also the normal Latitudes got significantly higher consumer review ratings in the snow/ice categories than the HP version.
Damn....looks like I got the wrong latitudes for snow.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Yeah I think you did, but you are right it is VERY confusing as the Cross Terrains have all the same specs are the Tour HP. Cross Terrain and Tour HP are both rated at 109H and have a 440 treadwear rating. Tour HP is also OEM on the W164 ML. But after looking a the tread design the Latitude Tour is much more similar looking (with sipes in the tread blocks) to the Cross Terrain SUV as Luke suggested. I think I will not go with Michelin this time and try out the Continental CrossContact LX as many ML owners on tirerack's site gave them high marks for comfort and snow performance.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Stiggs, possibly you could Ebay the tires or sell em on MBWorld... probably wont get more than 300 bucks though
Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
I dropped the "tour" part of the name in order to reduce the amount of typing

a little over three weeks ago I fell off of a ladder putting up Christmas lights resulting a broken left wrist and a broken right hand so typing is a real chore for me for the time being
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
sport tires are tuned for improved handling in the dry. While M&S rated their winter traction is typically sacrificed to gain the desired performance improvement

I don't think you would notice the differnece between the "T" rated tire and an "H" rated tire
Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Stiggs, possibly you could Ebay the tires or sell em on MBWorld... probably wont get more than 300 bucks though
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much screwed now. It just amazes me how both Michelin and Tire Rack have the wrong info. I feel like a cheated consumer. lol
I wish I wasn't so lazy and spent the extra effort finding a place that still had Cross Terrains in stock. I guess I can't really be mad at Tire Rack for selling me these tires...after all, even Michelin themselves are saying these are the replacements.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Stiggs, I feel for u man... that really sucks. Like you I tried to find another set of Cross Terrains. Found someone selling 95% tread (like new) cross terains mounted on ML wheels for 200 bucks but I was too late, already sold . Found some new ones on ebay but suspect of the mfg date. Will likely go with the Latitude Tour (non HP) or Conti's.

PS. Luke, will call you tomorrow, got your msg about the wipers.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Stiggs, I feel for u man... that really sucks. Like you I tried to find another set of Cross Terrains. Found someone selling 95% tread (like new) cross terains mounted on ML wheels for 200 bucks but I was too late, already sold . Found some new ones on ebay but suspect of the mfg date. Will likely go with the Latitude Tour (non HP) or Conti's.

PS. Luke, will call you tomorrow, got your msg about the wipers.
Hey man, did you try onlinetires.com ? I think they might still have Cross Terrains for sale. I was gonna try ordering from them before I got the Latitudes but I decided to stick with Tire Rack because I trust them and I figured the replacement for the Cross Terrain was probably just as good.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Stiggs, I think I've decided to get the Latitude Tour's for my ML. Found a 70 dollar rebate online but it is through discount tire.

Luke, any way tirerack can offer this rebate as well?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Stiggs, I think I've decided to get the Latitude Tour's for my ML. Found a 70 dollar rebate online but it is through discount tire.

Luke, any way tirerack can offer this rebate as well?
So youre getting the Tours without the "HP" correct?
Let me know how they are. Good luck man!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Hey Stiggs,
Actually I'm not sure anymore ha. I spoke to discount tire because they are offering the 70 dollar rebate and they said i should get the Latitude Tour HP because it has the Load and Speed rating that Mercedes recommend. They said the Latitude Tour should not be used on the ML as it is a lower load and speed rating than OEM. They said vehicle braking will suffer but Tirerack is saying its ok. I'm so confused.

Also, spoke to michelin directly and they also said Latitude Tour HP for the ML... said OK for snow. haha

Also was looking at the Conti Cross ContactLX but Luke said they are no good and I have read several bad reviews regarding their snow performance. That leaves the Bridgestone Alenza's (which Luke recommended) but they are an older tire and also don't look to be good snow performers. Why did Michelin have to screw up such a great tire (Cross Terrains).
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
. Why did Michelin have to screw up such a great tire (Cross Terrains).
I'm asking myself that everyday!! lol