Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Possible steering problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible steering problem?

Have now completed 1600 miles in a new SL55 and the steering seems not to have the same precise feel as when new.

When I took delivery I immediately noticed how direct and positive the steering was. Now it feels slightly vague and road imperfections are readily transmitted through the wheel to the hands. When driving fast and cornering on country roads there is not the same 100% sure feeling there was before. Sometimes there appears to be a slight tendency to tramline.

I was at my dealer this afternoon and drove a used SL55. This had done 1200 miles and felt just like mine did when new and didnt readily transmit the same road "feel" through to the hands.

Both cars have standard AMG 5 spoke wheels and Pirelli zero rosso tires. Dealer has checked balance of both my front wheels which is ok. Cold tyre pressures have been checked regularly by me and are always as on the fuel filer - 35 psi front and 36 psi rear.

There was a surface fault/scratch with one of the AMG front wheels from new and the dealer has replaced this. The steering seemed fine until the new wheel was fitted but the dealer is adament the new wheel cannot be the cause of the problem so has not changed or tested it.

There is no obvious fault but my dealer is concerned to make sure I am totally happy customer and when I mentioned I was a member of this forum was keen for me to post a message and encourage feedback.

Any comments suggestions welcome please as this is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic car.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:52 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I agree with the dealer the wheel could not be the problem providing it is the correct offset and size ..... I have seen some silly things over looked before is the tire mounted correctly ???? The P-Zero has an astmetrical tread design and has an outside and inside area and is labelled on the side wall "mount this side out" ..... other than that I do not have any ideas
Old 03-26-2003, 01:33 PM

Thanks Luke - yes, just checked, the tyre is mounted correctly.

Anybody else with any other ideas? Desperate to find a solution.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:05 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
1 more idea ... faulty pressure guage ... try adding about 5 psi of air pressure
Old 03-27-2003, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
It sounds like you believe the problem started after the wheel was replaced. If this is the case, try putting the spare tire on instead. It might help isolate the problem. I had a similar situation with my E55 which turned out to be a bad tire. However, I did not notice it until I dismounted the and remounted the tires when I polished my wheels.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the tip E55AMG99. The SL55 does not have a spare wheel but I will return to the dealer and we will swap my wheel/tire with one of their used SL55s.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by SL Boy
Thanks for the tip E55AMG99. The SL55 does not have a spare wheel but I will return to the dealer and we will swap my wheel/tire with one of their used SL55s.
Just returned from my dealer. Tried a new wheel/tire and problem has gone. There appears to be no visible fault with my wheel or tire so the cause remains a mystery.

Thanks to all for your help on this.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Tire and wheel (especially tire) problems can be very difficult to diagnose which is why the dealer was so reluctant to look there. I'm glad you were able to convince them otherwise.