Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Best size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
Best size

What is the best tire/rim size for a 2005 E500? I have seen everything from 17's to 22's. I currently have the stock, but once my tires go bald, i wanna upgrade to better rims. Any recomendations? I've driven my friend's 03 E500 with 20's and it seems like the comfort suffered, (not sure about performance, didn't get a chance to )
Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
19's are the best choice IMO
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Seen 20's look good also
Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Originally Posted by dynomite05
Seen 20's look good also

but 20's ride pretty firm ... I have spoken with many people that think it's too firm
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
but the firmness can be adjusted with the tire rim? or not enough to compensate for the bigger rim?

is handling affected at all?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by SashaRussian
What is the best tire/rim size for a 2005 E500? I have seen everything from 17's to 22's. I currently have the stock, but once my tires go bald, i wanna upgrade to better rims. Any recomendations? I've driven my friend's 03 E500 with 20's and it seems like the comfort suffered, (not sure about performance, didn't get a chance to )
"Best size" is what came with the car ... or was optional with the car. See owners manual.

No one else has better answers than Mercedes engineering.

In addition, VERY FEW aftermarket wheels are "upgrades" in terms of quality when compared to factory wheels. You'll be paying BBS prices to get there.

The only real "upgrade" associated with larger tires is ego.

They cost more, decrease fuel economy, decrease wet/snow traction, reduce ride quality, increase liklihood of flat spotting, and increase liklihood of wheel damage.

They do "upgrade" for sure the profit margins of those selling them and of course they will tell you anything.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Sorry, Chris but, I'm going to have to disagree with most of your post as would the Mercedes engineers you refer to. There are performance benefits to be gained by larger diameter wheels as evidence I offer any of the AMG 2 digit cars (C32, C55, E63, CLK63, SL65, etc.) which have larger diameter wheels than their 3 digit counterparts. Even beyond the official MB recommendations there are gains to be had. While looks may be one part of it it's isn't just for ego's sake.

If the truth be known there are many companies which make higher quality wheels than you find as original equipment on a majority of cars. BBS, OZ Racing, Enkei & Ray's Engineering just to name a few. Many times there are even 'optional' (read better quality, larger diameter in most cases) wheel upgrades available when you order a car.

Most cars are designed with the 'average' driver in mind. Name 1 car that was designed and manufactured to a point that there is no way to improve it's performance. Think about it people have modified the biggest baddest cars ever produced to achieve even more performance. Supercharging a Lambo, chipping an SL65 Black Series, Twin Turbo for a Viper and if you are making more power you need the brakes and suspension to harness it. In truth a vast majority of really powerful cars out there will never be pushed to their ultimate limit but, that doesn't stop people from improving and upgrading them.

I know that not everybody feels the need to modify or alter their vehicles performance or looks but, since the beginning of the motorcar era there has been a core group of enthusiast who feel differently.

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 07-30-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Well said Luke! There has been numerous threads here about OEM wheels that crack or bend. Or stock tires that are deteriorating....I have been through a couple sets of AMG reps and haven't had a problem. I paid for a whole set what one OEM wheel would cost.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 PM

97 Volvo 850, 05 E500
good point Luke

but does anyone know? 19's are sweet but there are also various 19's (width, offset) and different tires. What are the optimal combinations for performance, comfort, mix?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
It depends on the car. For some reason you could have the same car and wheels with the same ET and one will rub and the other won't . You might be able to narrow down a size that works by searching the w211 forum
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer
Just to chime into the subject and help answer your questions Sasha; what are you looking for? What are you trying to achieve with the wheel and tire option you plan to go with. Are you searching for appearance, performance, or both?

There are a lot of points that come into this equation but it will all narrow down to what you are really seeking. While you can get a great deal on some replicas or cast models, they will take a toll on performance because of the weight, will not be hub centric (not all of them), and will not balance out correctly.

If you were to go with forged wheels (custom built "direct bolt-on/hubcentric/TPMS ready" not something off the shelf) you will get a great strong wheel that is built for the car that will be light, fit like OE, and give you the peace of mind of great quality. Going this route however can hurt the pocket a little.

Some people might say that going with larger wheels will cause unsprung weight because of their diameters. This is partially true depending on the construction of the wheel and how much larger you go.

My personal opinion would be to go with a forged wheel. You will have the benefit of it being hub centric and as close if not better then an OE wheel when it comes to its structure and integrity. I will also go with a monobloc versus a 3 piece wheel since you can go with something like a 19" wheel that will look larger since there is no lip, and will get a nice thicker profile for a nice smooth ride.

FYI: AMG measures their wheels at a 30-35 run out while we measure our wheels (3-piece or MONO) at a 25-30.

I hope this helps you out somewhat.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Well stated Luke. Mike