Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Michelin AS/3 or Conti DWS on C Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Michelin AS/3 or Conti DWS on C Coupe?

Not thrilled with oem Conti Sport Contacts. Have 2013 C250 Coupe and will be changing--probably in the spring. Live in NC with moderate snow and lots of small hills and mountains if I go a few mi west. AS/3's looked really good til I saw the posts about snow/ice. Had DWS's on my EClass which did very good all around including snow. Was hoping to get a more sporty tire for my Coupe.

I don't see many posts re AS/3 on Mercedes. Tirerack tests don't give the oem tires very good snow performance. What to do? Appreciate all comments. Michelin or Conti?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes C55 AMG
I'm about to get the Michelin for my C55. In truth I have no experience with either tire at this point but, the Michelin are basically the best reviewed all weather tire ever made, or at least one of the very best. I read dozens of reviews from professionals and consumers and they're far better than the OEMs. They have better traction by a considerable amount in dry conditions and I read several pro reviews that say the Michelin AS-3 perform nearly as well in wet conditions as most competitors do in dry conditions. And it doesn't hurt that I think the Michelin looks better and comes with a 45,000 mile tread wear warranty which is pretty rare for ultra high performance tires.

And as far as your concern about performance in snow/ice, there are no all weather tires that perform well in those conditions, you need snow tires for that. Good luck, but I say go with the Michelin. (or look at the Bridgestone Potenza, heard good things about those).

Last edited by irisheric; 01-03-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM

05 E55
I have Michelin on my e63 an love it, best tires money can buy
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
I installed the DWS on my 500E and love them. Very quiet tire and great in any weather.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
AS/3 vs DWS

Originally Posted by irisheric
I'm about to get the Michelin for my C55. In truth I have no experience with either tire at this point but, the Michelin are basically the best reviewed all weather tire ever made, or at least one of the very best. I read dozens of reviews from professionals and consumers and they're far better than the OEMs. They have better traction by a considerable amount in dry conditions and I read several pro reviews that say the Michelin AS-3 perform nearly as well in wet conditions as most competitors do in dry conditions. And it doesn't hurt that I think the Michelin looks better and comes with a 45,000 mile tread wear warranty which is pretty rare for ultra high performance tires.

And as far as your concern about performance in snow/ice, there are no all weather tires that perform well in those conditions, you need snow tires for that. Good luck, but I say go with the Michelin. (or look at the Bridgestone Potenza, heard good things about those).
I agree with you except that the AS/3 got poor winter weather ratings from users on Tireracks site. DWS have a much better winter rating, As we only had 3" of snow here last year I don't need dedicated snow tires. Appreciate you posting your experience w/your new tires.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
the new Pilot Sport AS3 is superior in every aspect ... except 1

dry handling = PSAS3 by far
wet handling = PSAS3 by far
road noise = PSAS3 by far
tread life = PSAS3
warranty = PSAS3

Snow traction = DWS

The dry and wet performance difference between the two is pretty big as is the difference in the snow.

The DWS is the best all season tire we have ever tested in the snow
Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Compare tires AS/3 vs Conti Pro-ContacP

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
the new Pilot Sport AS3 is superior in every aspect ... except 1

dry handling = PSAS3 by far
wet handling = PSAS3 by far
road noise = PSAS3 by far
tread life = PSAS3
warranty = PSAS3

Snow traction = DWS

The dry and wet performance difference between the two is pretty big as is the difference in the snow.

The DWS is the best all season tire we have ever tested in the snow
As My Mercedes came w/Pro-Contac's I guess that I would not have any more snow problems w/AS3 as the Pro's have a poor snow rating too.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
that would be a tough one to call ... I think the Conti's just might be a little better than the PSAS3's but, yes neither one are good in the snow
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Just picked up a set of 4 AS3s on the 14 E350, 2 of the original continental pro contacts went kaput after two pot holes in 3 months with only 4k miles. Can't go wrong with Costco road hazard warranty
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Michelins

Originally Posted by Primus63
I have Michelin on my e63 an love it, best tires money can buy
Which Michelin tire?